Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not worth bringin' that!

Not worth bringin' that!

Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Applefritters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not worth bringin' that!

We are about to put our stuff in a box and send it to NZ from Northampton.
What's not worth bringing? what is "hassle" to get in? The following are on the list of not sure:

Lawn mower - will the customs burn it to cleanse any hint of filthy uk grass?
Garden tools in general - as mower.
Broadband modem(s) do the same ones work?
Tv (ancient) + Freeview boxes - do they work? - is there terrestrial digital in NZ? we are going to Waihi area.
Cars? assume not? always?
Bike carrier that bolts on to flanged tow bar. are NZ tow balls mounts the same bolt pitch? Lighting board for same - is the plug the same?
DVD players - different region?
American side-by-side fridge - ever likely to go in a NZ rental?
Wine "cellar" - well 20 or 30 bottles that we will otherwise need help drinking in the next 8 weeks. can we put booze in our box?
Tinned and dried foods (not 'cause we want to live on "marks and spencer" while down under, just that we will never consume our current stocks and too tight to throw/give away).

our instinct is to go Ebay mad for a month and minimise the shipping.

What would you leave in Northampton?

8 weeks to go now and I have a REALY big fixed grin!

Applefritters.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:40 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not worth bringin' that!

thorough clean and it should be OK
Same again
Unless it is magnificent, rare or has so many memories you can't part with it, don't bother.
Bike carrier that bolts on to flanged tow bar. are NZ tow balls mounts the same bolt pitch? Lighting board for same - is the plug the same?
Probably take them with you - again, clean first
There is a way round that if you check the internet for multi-region players or PM me
Maybe not in the rental but probably in your own home if you plan buying
Hopefully someone else can help you with the other things

And you are not sure if it is joy or terror!

Last edited by karonious; Jul 11th 2007 at 10:43 pm. Reason: trying to add colouring
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:10 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Applefritters ( Great name BTW!)[quote=Applefritters;5042156]We are about to put our stuff in a box and send it to NZ from Northampton.
What's not worth bringing? what is "hassle" to get in? The following are on the list of not sure:

We had ours professionally cleaned cos it was less than 12 months old, petrol!
Cleaned them with Jeyes fluid & a scourer
Brought our BT Homehub with us but doesn't work
Tv (ancient) + Freeview boxes - do they work? - is there terrestrial digital in NZ? we are going to Waihi area.
Don't watch much telly here, so haven't bothered with getting Sky
Personally wouldn't bother, too much hassle
Don't know, never used a bike carrier
We bought ours with us cos it was new! you can get them switched to multi region. We still buy DVDs from Amazon cos cheaper even with the postage than buying here
The gap in our kitchen is around 75cm wide, but Kiwi garages are massive so you'd be able to keep it in there, no sweat
Wine "cellar" - well 20 or 30 bottles that we will otherwise need help drinking in the next 8 weeks. can we put booze in our box?
You can import alcohol for presonal consumption, but be aware some companies won't carry it cos of it being flammable
Tinned and dried foods (not 'cause we want to live on "marks and spencer" while down under, just that we will never consume our current stocks and too tight to throw/give away).
Start eating people!

Go for it! Loads more money to bring with you then!
Northampton ! (we lived in East Northants!) although if you can get Next or M&S in there it'd be good & 'Buddies' breakfast is a definite on the miss list!

Applefritters.[/quote]

Hope that helps
Sarah
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Hiya Applefritters ( Great name BTW!)[quote=Applefritters;5042156]We are about to put our stuff in a box and send it to NZ from Northampton.

We had ours professionally cleaned cos it was less than 12 months old, petrol!
Cleaned them with Jeyes fluid & a scourer
Brought our BT Homehub with us but doesn't work
Don't watch much telly here, so haven't bothered with getting Sky
Personally wouldn't bother, too much hassle
Don't know, never used a bike carrier
We bought ours with us cos it was new! you can get them switched to multi region. We still buy DVDs from Amazon cos cheaper even with the postage than buying here
The gap in our kitchen is around 75cm wide, but Kiwi garages are massive so you'd be able to keep it in there, no sweat
You can import alcohol for presonal consumption, but be aware some companies won't carry it cos of it being flammable
Start eating people!

Go for it! Loads more money to bring with you then!
Northampton ! (we lived in East Northants!) although if you can get Next or M&S in there it'd be good & 'Buddies' breakfast is a definite on the miss list!

Applefritters.
Hope that helps
Sarah[/QUOTE]

As above-seems 50/50 for the car-wish we'd brought ours,lots of others did. Wine yes.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:06 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

ADSL modem - UK uses PPPoE, NZ uses PPPoA (or vice versa!)- if the modem does both, bring it. But you will probably get a free one from your ISP anyway.

Freeview box - leave it or sell it. TV - if it's got afew years in it, bring it. Chances are the sound won't work on an aerial but if you get Sky or similar, that won't matter.

As above, unless it's special or you're attached to it, not worth the hassle. What do you have? I brought my car and I'm glad I did but it was damaged by the shippers and I had a lot of hassle. If you do brink it, make sure you insure it properly! I did a long post on my issues, a search will pick it up.

Not usually, no. Plug is completely different, towball is a different diameter and most seem to bolt on under the car somewhere.

Different region but all players sold here are multi region.

See above

yes you can! We gave ours away and regretted it after learning we could have brought it!

Can be brought in easily as long as they're sealed.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:10 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Our removal company wouldn't let us bring our packets & tins cos of MAF but we DID bring the booze!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
[COLOR=Navy].

Different region but all players sold here are multi region.
most here are multi-region but you would still use it to play your UK discs anyway - also you could use it to play CDs/JPEGs/MP3s. Or you could sell it on trade-me to some Kiwi.
On second thoughts it may be better to sell it, buy a cheap DVD recorder and get taping as much of UK TV as possible before you come, in fact leave the recorder behind and get your friends/family to record more UK TV and post it over - TV really *is that bad* here!!!!

Last edited by lardyl; Jul 12th 2007 at 8:07 am.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:06 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Our removal company wouldn't let us bring our packets & tins cos of MAF but we DID bring the booze!
our removals guys said "no opened bottles of booze" and then "tunred a blind eye" to all of my single malts bar the bottle of Gelnfiddich that I gave to them as they left!!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Boo Boos will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Not worth bringin' that!

Originally Posted by Applefritters
We are about to put our stuff in a box and send it to NZ from Northampton.

Lawn mower - will the customs burn it to cleanse any hint of filthy uk grass?We didn't bring ours but i wish we had.
We brought them and just scrubbed like mad, got them through no problem.
We got a new computer over here and the modem came with it.
We gave that away to the removal men, the kiwi's are just getting freeview now but its around $250
We left our car as we were told it wasn't worth bringing but knew a few people that brought theres, wish we had to but its no drama.
The plug shapes are different so unless you can afford to change them all over straight away bring your extension leads with you its much easier and cheaper.
Brought ours but cant play the odd kiwi DVD.
If you can then this is a must. We bought a new one over here and it cost $2,500 and that was in the sale. The same one in the UK would of only cost us 600 pounds. We are renting our house at the moment so ours is in the garage but like everyone says most people's garages are a double so theres plenty of room.
Our removal people said we could only bring 4 bottles but i wished i'd taken the lot, mind you it was great drinking everything we could before we left.
Not sure if your allowed but again i wished i tried, i miss paxo stuffing and gravy granules but people from the UK send it over so it's no loss.

What would you leave in Northampton? If you have the room bring everything you can and decide when you get here. Ive meet people that wished they left it back home and people that wished they'd brought it with them but at least if you have the room its not costing you anything.

Make the most of it, its a crazy time but its worth..
Weve been here 6 months and its flown by...
Applefritters.
Good luck..
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Applefritters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boo Boos
Good luck..
Thanks everyone.
I like my mower so now much happier!
Cars I think going to stay, 1 is old and other not sold in NZ so looks like hassle.
I think the fridge is coming with us now.
This may be a bit academic when the man from PSS tells us it wont all fiit in any way!

Thanks again,

Applefritters