Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not a good start to 2008, need advice

Not a good start to 2008, need advice

Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of
Default Not a good start to 2008, need advice

Hi,

Well where do I start? Just before christmas my wife was informed that she would made redundant in the new year. She had been lecturing on a certificate programme and the uni' decided to can it. She was the major wage earner. Now, last year my wife was told that the course could be canned, but that she would be found a job at the uni', and not to worry.

At the time we lived in S/Auckland and she was traveling across town, on the road for upto 3 hours a day. Because we were both busy working (I work shifts), our teenage daughter had more time on her hands at home. It's a long story but she got in with the wrong sort, and left home to live with a looser. We were devastated, but after some tough love on our part, our daughter came home. Because of all this we decided to move to the Shore. As my wife's boss had assured her of a position, we decided to create a company and sell our S/Auckland home to it, thus leaving us free to buy a house. We found a reliable person (actually a property manager herself) to rent it. We decided on her advice not to go through a property manager, as she could do it for us. What could go wrong? She surely wouldn't taint her good name would she!

Now as I said after a glorious year on the shore, my wife's boss went back on her word. We looked on the positive side, and decided that she really needed to finish her degree (one whole year left), hopefully get back in as a lecturer, and looked to find ways to live in my wages alone.

Yesterday we found out that our "reliable tenant" had done a bunk, having not paid her rent for nearly 6 weeks (we hadn't had a bank statement due to the holiday programme). What is worse is as she was well respected in the town and a well known professional, my wife let her arranged the bond, as we where stressed enough as it was what with moving and the constant harassment from our daughters ex. Guess what? we found out it was never paid in!!!!!!!!:curse::curse:

Now We're deep in the do's. We've trusted two different women to keep their word and they've stitched us up. We see the insurance company tomorrow, and hopefully will be able to get some of our money back.

Any advice????? Work and income came up with $93 a week!! What a joke!Our situation could become desperate.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:13 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not a good start to 2008, need advice

Find yourself a tenant again QUICK through a letting agency

Other than that, sorry but no quickfix answers I'm afraid
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

nzshrimper is an unknown quantity at this point

I would complete this...

1. redo a budget, down to the last cent.
2. become a cash only household. (no eftpos, credit cards etc)
3. Speak to the bank - tell them whats happened - arrange to take a payment holiday or interest only payments on the morgtage. (if you let them know they will help)
4. Find a new tenant quick .. get a bond and advance rent this time..
5. Look for a job even a part time one at the super market - after all cash is cash..

6. Good luck...
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:30 am
Just Joined

wintersmith is just really nicewintersmith is just really nicewintersmith is just really nicewintersmith is just really nicewintersmith is just really nicewintersmith is just really nicewintersmith is just really nicewintersmith is just really nicewintersmith is just really nicewintersmith is just really nice

If there is any paperwork, e-mail trail, etc. you could approach your ex-tenant with a choice of settling her account (even partially) or being taken to the Tribunal. I'm no lawyer, so you'll probably want to get other people's take on this, but you could also involve her employer or manager (if she has one) in this. If she is a respected professional in the community, she or her employers may see sense in keeping this off public record.