Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North Vs The South....moved to main forum

North Vs The South....moved to main forum

Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:09 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Vs The South....moved to main forum

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I thought downsizing was moving somewhere smaller, cheaper/more affordable, easier to maintain - that kinda thing. How can moving south be downsizing when you get more land and house for your money in SI than you do NI, generally speaking? Sorry if I'm being thick
That's certainly the traditional use of the word, but in more recent times it has become a bit more figurative, as in downsizing your working life, making your overall lifestyle a bit more balanced, simple and relaxed...
Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newt
No, 'course there isn't.

Many of my Mum's family still live in and around Manurewa (apart from the ones who've shot the gap to Aussie).

I haven't been there in nearly twenty years, but it was becoming a tragic swamp of a place, almost devoid of community spirit, even back then.

Interesting thread Newt.

But I am wondering just how seriously I should take your evaluation of South Auckland when I read you haven't been to manurewa for 20 years

But keep talking the talk. The faster the southern shift happens the sooner it will become the new Jafaville
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

newt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant future

In my wildest dreams, I can't imagine it having got any better, when all the things which were making it bad have, by all accounts, become worse.

And in any case most of the Jafas are going to Queenstown, so that's alright too. At least they're contained
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:35 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
That's certainly the traditional use of the word, but in more recent times it has become a bit more figurative, as in downsizing your working life, making your overall lifestyle a bit more balanced, simple and relaxed...
Yep - its the leave the city job and lifestyle and take the money out of your existing urban or suburban lifestyle to get a country lifestyle........
Somewhat similar to what we did when we moved to NZ - but a little bit more of a move than out of the "smoke" into "the sticks".........
Its been happening for a long long time but seems to have become quite the thing to do at a certain stage in your career for those of us sick of the rat race.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:36 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newt
...the Jafas are going to Queenstown, so that's alright too. At least they're contained
or just buying overpriced apartments there and renting them out to "grockles".........
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:58 am
Banned

James1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to all

I can't see the point in moving to the other side of the world to be cold for months on end - nope very happy with the Bay Of Plenty: it vies with Nelson for the most hours of sunshine each year and is both warmer and dryer.

From the stats it rarely has a winter day time temp of less than 14c and averages 15-16c.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:28 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James1st
I can't see the point in moving to the other side of the world to be cold for months on end - nope very happy with the Bay Of Plenty: it vies with Nelson for the most hours of sunshine each year and is both warmer and dryer.

From the stats it rarely has a winter day time temp of less than 14c and averages 15-16c.

Actually BLENHEIM is the sunniest place in New Zealand NOT Nelson ( sorry BEV!!!)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4342940a10.html
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Actually BLENHEIM is the sunniest place in New Zealand NOT Nelson ( sorry BEVS!!!)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4342940a10.html