North Island V's South Island

North Island V's South Island

Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: North Island V's South Island

I know its not helpful to the original thread/ post-er
Yupidoodee.

I am very tempted to split the thread . We can have North V South Island NZ thread which may help the OP and then 'The Other Stuff - Give us all a break' thread just for the sporty among us.

To recap

Originally Posted by nahb
We're in NZ for a recci for 2 Years

At the moment we have been living in the North Island, but we would like to live in South for 1 of the years aswell

What area in the South would you recommend & why? (bearing in mind we both need to have jobs)

Any comments appreciated

Thanks

I'd suggest the Winter season around Queenstown or Wanaka or anywhere when you can access the skiing and hospitality work. Once Spring is in the air , make a slow migrate south taking in whatever bits and bobs you want to see or do. End up, without a doubt, in our neck of the woods, the Abel Tasman and Nelson. Spend your time picking grapes , apples and all that stuff whilst enjoying a great climate and quality NZ outdoor activities.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Been living in Waikato since we arrived 4 years ago and have been very unsettled although, usual story...husband and kids settled easy. Grabbed a 'grab a seat' and flew down to the South Island for a week's break and just got back on Monday. I wish we had gone there straight away....it is SO much better there. Stayed at Nelson for a couple of nights, then went up as far as Farewell Spit...some great old hippy towns on the way up....then down to Kaikorura (spelling?) then back up to Nelson for another night as we flew back from there. Loved it! Not easy for us to move on again...children's schools ( boy now at secondary or college as they call it ) and more importantly our business and now my part-time job. Something for the future maybe. However just to say in the great North v South debate....I prefer the South.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:39 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
However just to say in the great North v South debate....I prefer the South.
Me too.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:36 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

as obviously do I
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:29 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

South Island rules, OK.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
South Island rules, OK.
Yes, I think it probably does. Very content here in the lower north isle but if I had to start all over I think I would angle for the south. Have invested way too much time here in Palmy (kids very settled etc) to consider a move south for quite some time, BUT it is where I think we will end up, maybe?

The north isle is great, I just think from what I hear the South Island has the edge and is more the 'untouched, raw beauty NZ' that the PR people bang on about.

Been here 3 years and alas not had the chace to get there, soooooooo looking forward to my first visit!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:52 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say we're very happy here in the Wellington area, and I love seeing the beautiful harbour every day, really does lift my spirits.

We've only had one trip down to the SI and it was really so beautiful, I could hardly bear it! But, for me, too remote. I know it's not far if you hop on a plane somewhere, but even the Marlborough region (where I'd choose in the SI, for the weather) would feel too far from anything for me. Of course, never been there (went to Picton for literally 24 hours) but that would be my choice, gut talking there.

Other place in the NI I'd consider?..... tough call, not been to enough places to have an opinion on that.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Cyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
South Island rules, OK.
Yay

We've made the right choice then! See you in Dunedin! (fingers crossed)
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:04 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

SI RULES! Better quality people, beer, scenery, etc. If I had my time again, I would 100% move to the SI.

Plus you've got the likes of Beachcombers and WizNTon
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:16 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Littletoe
SI RULES! Better quality people, beer, scenery, etc. If I had my time again, I would 100% move to the SI.

Plus you've got the likes of Beachcombers and WizNTon
I love where we are in the Bay of Plenty, I wanted sunshine, beaches, social and accessible cities, I did NOT want rural isolation - been there, done that! Different horses for different courses.

Nicki, you're in Welly near the Posse, huge ex-pats social network and allegedly Welly pretty cultural, are you not a part of all that? Maybe give it a whirl, might help?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:56 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletoe
What do you mean, if you had your time again? You've not left yet, it takes years to emigrate to Canada. So spend the rest of your time in the SI so you're not so bitter about it all.

"Better quality people". Uh, thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cyffiwr
Yay

We've made the right choice then! See you in Dunedin! (fingers crossed)
Same here!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

I don't know if I would say "better quality people" for fear of swelling too many heads around here but I would say that on my brief trip, everyone seemed a lot friendlier and relaxed. Anyway I'm in the north and I am NOT of inferior quality!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:09 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
I am NOT of inferior quality!
I am...
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:02 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I love where we are in the Bay of Plenty, I wanted sunshine, beaches, social and accessible cities, I did NOT want rural isolation - been there, done that! Different horses for different courses.

Nicki, you're in Welly near the Posse, huge ex-pats social network and allegedly Welly pretty cultural, are you not a part of all that? Maybe give it a whirl, might help?
Hello mate, forgot you were up there! Sorry fairy. Yes, Welly is beautiful and has a lovely night life. But I feel now its a bit boring! I think I've done everything every weekend! You know when you have lunch in Palmerston North we've covered everything (and by that I mean its actually quite a long drive from here, but now we'll cover it for a few hours because we're desperate for more scenery!) We've even taken to driving back up the NI to places like Ohakune! I'm not a big fan of hanging out with my own in another country, but I have a few Brit Expats that I like to stay in contact with, but big groups that become cliches aren't my thang. Know what I'm saying Fairy one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.