Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North Island/Auckland Winters

North Island/Auckland Winters

Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Island/Auckland Winters

Originally Posted by kwprwn
Hi steve

now it was my first winter last year so not an expert, last winter according to the aucklanders and the weather bods here was colder than normal, now it was chilly stood on train station at 7am but not too bad really, nothing you can t cope with, the coldest I heard someone saying that the thermomteter in their car was -3 degrees...It was ok if you had a warm fleece, but days were generally fairly mild and not grey like the uk

hope this helps

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

-3 sounds like South Wales at the moment! Brrr...

Steve
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 3:59 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Which Steve Jones....not that nice Outside Half from Wales?

Steve
no idea, if or where he played. Journo for the Sunday Times, I think.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
no idea, if or where he played. Journo for the Sunday Times, I think.
ah...THAT Stephen Jones - I had forgotten about him - there are so many of us!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:21 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I had a conversation with an Aucklander sometime around September last year. She said she'd never been so cold as she has been this winter - I said nah, this isn't cold - not in comparison to Europe. It was, she insisted - "those three days were the coldest I've ever been here"

That was our winter (as in COLD) - three days!

I leave the house at 6.30 so it is still cold at that time, but getting light though (the sun is always up around 7am) and I hate the cold so do always have a coat but I don't usually have to wear it home. I haven't worn boots or winter shoes since the beginning of October. We have a woodburner and the roof and walls are insulated - we need to do under the house and then it'll be toasty.

If I could offer newcomers just one piece of advice - set some money aside for heating and insulation. Factor it in as part of your moving costs even. It could mean the difference between loving your new life and not!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:14 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Well our experience is different!! Although not freezing like the UK it certainly was much cooler than we had anticipated, DO NOT throw away all those wooly jumpers that your Nanna has bought you - you will need them, along with wooly socks, hats, gloves and scarfs. When the weather is nice outside then get out and make the most of it - agreed if it is sunny and there is no wind then occassionally you could get away with one layer, but our house was colder inside than out. We haven't got a woodburner/fire etc, we relied on electric oil heaters dotted around the house, and we needed these for about 3 months. Any part of the house that is south facing was freezing and if your garden/clothes drying area is south facing you can forget it as it won't see sunshine for 4 or 5 months. Condensation was a problem so a de-humidifier is a must as well. On the plus side "winter" was fairly short and on the whole not as wet as the uk, spring however is just constant rain and wind for 3 months!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Have to admit I am cold in winter but this stems from me never wearing a coat if I worn a coat and a beanie when I went outside I wouldn't be cold!!!!!
Its the rain that gets us down!!!!
Be prepared for rain....