Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nominating for the End of Year Polls

Nominating for the End of Year Polls

Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:41 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nominating for the End of Year Polls

If you haven't already done this, or are thinking that you won't bother........WHY NOT??!!

I don't know how anyone else has gone about deciding who or what to nominate but I have taken some time to read back through the forum, partly trying to find threads/posts that I thought were pretty spot on at the time.

I have to say that the whole exercise has been pretty cathartic for me. It has been good to look back and see my thoughts and feelings over the year, and to read other's responses to them and to the comments of others whose situations I have identified with.

A couple of things really stand out to me:

1. whilst we might not always agree with each others' opinions/experiences, for an on-line forum this is quite a tolerant and peaceful one! There seems to be an unspoken understanding that those with differing views will (in the main) agree to disagree;

2. there is an underlying genuine concern for members - we celebrate with those who are celebrating and we support those who are having a tough time (and we are around to voice opinions on a wide range of subjects ).

I wish that I had found this place years ago (though I suspect that it didn't exist when we were still in the UK planning our travels) and, whilst this may sound end-of-year emotional, I'd like to thank you guys for being around and for sharing your thoughts and experiences, and for 'listening' to mine.

So if you haven't put forward your nominations, or weren't intending to do so, please think again - this place is here for all of us, for all occasions - including a bit of light-hearted fun such as these polls and the avatar competitions!

Psst, if you haven't voted in the Christmas avatar competition there is still time - a couple of NZ members are still in the running, but every vote counts ).
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:46 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nominating for the End of Year Polls

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
If you haven't already done this, or are thinking that you won't bother........WHY NOT??!!

I don't know how anyone else has gone about deciding who or what to nominate but I have taken some time to read back through the forum, partly trying to find threads/posts that I thought were pretty spot on at the time.

I have to say that the whole exercise has been pretty cathartic for me. It has been good to look back and see my thoughts and feelings over the year, and to read other's responses to them and to the comments of others whose situations I have identified with.

1. whilst we might not always agree with each others' opinions/experiences, for an on-line forum this is quite a tolerant and peaceful one! There seems to be an unspoken understanding that those with differing views will (in the main) agree to disagree;

2. there is an underlying genuine concern for members - we celebrate with those who are celebrating and we support those who are having a tough time (and we are around to voice opinions on a wide range of subjects ).

I wish that I had found this place years ago (though I suspect that it didn't exist when we were still in the UK planning our travels) and, whilst this may sound end-of-year emotional, I'd like to thank you guys for being around and for sharing your thoughts and experiences, and for 'listening' to mine.

So if you haven't put forward your nominations, or weren't intending to do so, please think again - this place is here for all of us, for all occasions - including a bit of light-hearted fun such as these polls and the avatar competitions!

Psst, if you haven't voted in the Christmas avatar competition there is still time - a couple of NZ members are still in the running, but every vote counts ).
What wonderful post and you sum up the spirit of BE perfectly. Have some karma.

Bugger, go to go and spread the love before I can give you karma again ... I'll be back!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:10 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

You have summed up what BE is all about, expats being there for each other and connecting with each other. What a wonderful post. I am so pleased and happy that you enjoy being a member here.

It's people like you that make this such a great community.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:39 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto the above for voting in the 2010 Polls