Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The nitty gritty thread.

The nitty gritty thread.

Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:49 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default The nitty gritty thread.

So most people have figured out the big stuff like cost of housing, food and drink, where to go ect. but what about the mitty gritty stuff that we may not know about?

Do you need a TV license?

Is it true that homosexuals can only use the beach between the hours of 3 and 4.30 am and have to carry a towel with "Wendy" on it?

Do you pay water rates?

If you wish to keep Donkey's (I know, sick ) do you have to roll down a hill in a leapard print thong twice a week?

Do you pay Council TAX?

You get the idea
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:36 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The nitty gritty thread.

heres some stuff I didnt know - if you live in the country your rubbish doesnt get picked up if you live too far out - we're too far by about 200m! so we bung it in the car and take it to where it does get picked up! ( you need to pay for your rubbish bags)
Another country one - you may have an RD address ( rural delivery) you need to register with the post office to get your mail. Didnt know this either and couldnt work out why we werent getting any mail!

what else..to keep Donkeys theres a law that you have to be lovely! ( joke!! heehee)

On a lot of beaches dogs can only be walked between certain times

Factor 20 won't do it ( get at least 35)

As far as I know you dont need a tv licence

Your car needs a WOF ( like MOT) every 6 months

I'll try to think of more
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

No tv license - but also no tv without ads...
Some places pay water rates separately, here in ChCh we don't.
Council tax is known here as rates, and the amount you pay is dependant on your house and land value. The rates are paid for by the landlord, not the tenant.
If when you first land you need cheap internet access, find your local library, it is heaps cheaper.
Car insurance is not compulsory, but it is heaps cheaper.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Asume, asime, asome............

Hardly any antipodeans can correctly pronounce the word ‘assume’.

Last edited by Nice Guy; Nov 27th 2006 at 7:03 pm. Reason: Another bloody spilling mistake!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Showen, showhen, show-wen..........

Hardly any antipodeans can correctly pronounce the word ‘shown’.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future

Hi

This POM can't pronounce ANY of the Maori names - not good considering I work in a place where I need to be able to! I have given a few laughs to the locals with my Yorkshire version of Maori!!

Nick
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:49 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
Car insurance is not compulsory, but it is heaps cheaper.
:scared: That's kind of scary! What if someone hits you and isn't insured, and can't afford to pay for your repairs?...
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:03 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
:scared: That's kind of scary! What if someone hits you and isn't insured, and can't afford to pay for your repairs?...
MMmmm we have expereince of this! Our hire car got hit ( from behind on the motorway near Auckland at 100kms cos he other driver was texting and didnt even see our car in front of him and just drove right into the back of us!) Anyway he wasnt insured and was taken to court by the hire company - he has to pay about $20 per week till its all paid for - we are last to get our excess ( which was $1500!) We reckon it'll be about 2020 before we get it!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Basically you are stuffed. Your loss. You claim it on your insurance and pay extra in premiums after a claim.
Few young lads have insurance..be careful on the roads.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
MMmmm we have expereince of this! Our hire car got hit ( from behind on the motorway near Auckland at 100kms cos he other driver was texting and didnt even see our car in front of him and just drove right into the back of us!) Anyway he wasnt insured and was taken to court by the hire company - he has to pay about $20 per week till its all paid for - we are last to get our excess ( which was $1500!) We reckon it'll be about 2020 before we get it!
You were lucky he was forced to court and made to pay. I have known some not bother to turn up to court!
Still, $20 pw is better than nothing I suppose.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
Basically you are stuffed. Your loss. You claim it on your insurance and pay extra in premiums after a claim.
Few young lads have insurance..be careful on the roads.
Any personal injuries are covered by the ACC by the way.

K.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
You are insured and claim it back from your insurance. It is up to your insurance company to pursue the the other insurance company or the individual concerned. Like I say, insurance premiums are wayyy cheaper than in the UK.
ACC is Accident Compensation Corporation. It covers the cost of accidents, be they sporting or personal or workplace. ACC is paid for by employers and employees in an automatic deduction from your payslip. In return for universal accident coverage NZers have given up the right to sue.

Last edited by Apple12; Nov 27th 2006 at 9:22 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:35 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
You are insured and claim it back from your insurance. It is up to your insurance company to pursue the the other insurance company or the individual concerned. Like I say, insurance premiums are wayyy cheaper than in the UK.
ACC is Accident Compensation Corporation. It covers the cost of accidents, be they sporting or personal or workplace. ACC is paid for by employers and employees in an automatic deduction from your payslip. In return for universal accident coverage NZers have given up the right to sue.
indeed - no "ambulance chasers"!!!
But less work for me on PI (personal injury) front ---- boo hiss (am I an ambulance chaser? - nah, I chase fire engines......hehe!!)
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:39 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
indeed - no "ambulance chasers"!!!
But less work for me on PI (personal injury) front ---- boo hiss (am I an ambulance chaser? - nah, I chase fire engines......hehe!!)
I love starting fires.

It the orange, red, orange, red, orange, red, orange, red, orange, red, orange, red, orange, red, orange, red, orange, red, orange, red flickering it sends me into a trance and then I want to start another.

Orange, red, orange, red, orange, red, orange, red, orange, red..........

And the smell Mmmmmmmm....... :scared:

Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Your car needs a WOF ( like MOT) every 6 months
Whats involved and how much $$$

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.