Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nissan Micra tyres

Nissan Micra tyres

Old May 21st 2008, 1:36 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nissan Micra tyres

Here's a question for all you boys out there...

My wife had her car serviced and the garage said that her car needed new tyres. They don't have any Nissan Micra tyres in New Zealand but they have some similar tyres that cost a bit more but would be just as good.

Now, I'm far too metrosexual to know anything about cars but does the above story show....

a) New Zealand really is a small country where they don't even have tyres for quite popular makes of car.

b) We've been ripped off by the locals....again

c) None of the above.

Many thanks in advance.
Old May 21st 2008, 2:09 am
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice
Default Re: Nissan Micra tyres

Avid I don't know much about cars but isn't it all done on the size or something, it's printed on the outside of the tyre. I always used to phone around for quote for everything because most things were so expensive.
Old May 21st 2008, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

As Cathy said - there's no such thing as a "Nissan Micra tyre". You need to get the size and rating of the tyre - something like 185/55 HR15 and then compare prices on that tyre - there will usually be a spread of prices depending on quality and supplier. Assuming the driver isn't too bothered by cornering performance etc, then a budget tyre from Beaurepaires or similar is probably your best bet
Old May 21st 2008, 2:26 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
As Cathy said - there's no such thing as a "Nissan Micra tyre". You need to get the size and rating of the tyre - something like 185/55 HR15 and then compare prices on that tyre - there will usually be a spread of prices depending on quality and supplier. Assuming the driver isn't too bothered by cornering performance etc, then a budget tyre from Beaurepaires or similar is probably your best bet

Fair enough, told you I knew nothing about cars.

So....would the type of tyre used on a Nissan Micra be an unusual size?
Old May 21st 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have thought so, but it's not a car that I'm very familiar with, except having hired one in Barcelona a few years ago. If you go and have a look at the writing on the tyres and then phone a local tyre dealer they'll soon let you know
Old May 21st 2008, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

ledge is on a distinguished road

Not sure exactly what you mean by "any Nissan Micra tyres" - do you mean not the same make as what you already had on the car?

No tyre is specific to a particular car (unless we're talking very up-market), so it's a case of finding something the right size for the car.

Nissan sell the Micra here and according to their website it's fitted with 165/70 R14 tyres - is that the same as yours? If so Firestone definately do them - same size as VW Polo so should be fairly easy to find. Try http://www.firestone.co.nz/tyres/res...r-tyres/page/1 or we've found Tony's Tyre Servce pretty helpful - they've even done free repairs when we've not previously bought anything else from them
Old May 21st 2008, 5:08 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like they were having you on there.
I had lots of sucking air through teeth when getting quotes for my tyres because apparently 16" is a peculiar wheel size here. Maybe 14" is as well?
Old May 21st 2008, 5:16 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

You could try asking for Nissan "March" tyres...........
Old May 21st 2008, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

As already said, get the size off of the side and bounce people like Firestone and Tonys off of each other.
We fit a fair few tyres at our garage and there is n othing you cant get- I would be suprised if your Nissan is on anything bigger than 14" tyres, maybe even 13's.

Loads of stuff is coming through with 16's on Rob, so you should have no trouble getting them-price would be your enemy though.
As with all things, it pays to shop around.

Lee
Old May 21st 2008, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Load of gumph... even this girl understands to get the numbers off the wall of the tyre and phone around! The big names like Beaurepairs and Firestone are going to be the most expensive!

I get mine second hand (not retreads, second hand from wrecks) from a tyre dealer... half price!
Old May 21st 2008, 12:20 pm
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice

Now that's something I'd never thought of doing, when I had a puncture once I just got it repaired. We never did enough milage to wear out a tyre.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cathyc
Now that's something I'd never thought of doing, when I had a puncture once I just got it repaired. We never did enough milage to wear out a tyre.
See, that's how you survive here - you have to be canny

My Toyota Lucida easily take uber large $160 tyres... second hand is half that. You usually end up with a set of Dunlops on the front and a set of Firestone on the back but if that doesn't bother you, it certainly doesn't bother the WOF man and your car gets passed.

And because you're getting the quality brand names, they last longer - we only needed two sets in four years/200,000k (I travel a lot to dog agility competitions).
Old May 21st 2008, 8:17 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I let the tyre place talk me into Falken tyres on the front of mine - $250 each and I'm not impressed - they like to chirp when I set off from junctions or when I change into second in an "enthusiastic" manner.
Old ones never did that!!

They're wearing out now after 15 months

One thing they told me is that if you have different brands on each side they might fail your WOF.
Mine passed its import WOF with a Michelin on one side and a Continental on the other at the back but I got them to swap the original new one off the spare so both rears matched. Just in case.
Old May 21st 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobClubley
One thing they told me is that if you have different brands on each side they might fail your WOF.
Mine passed its import WOF with a Michelin on one side and a Continental on the other at the back but I got them to swap the original new one off the spare so both rears matched. Just in case.
I was also told to have matching pairs and it doesn't matter if the front pair didn't match the back pair.
Old May 21st 2008, 11:51 pm
Happy in Wellington

Yeah that's what I meant.

But my two back tyres were different brands to eachother (thanks to a floorboard nail picked up in the snow in Bradford!!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.