Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Newbies, 24 year olds, James and Victoria. Looking to make the move.

Newbies, 24 year olds, James and Victoria. Looking to make the move.

Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:52 am
Just Joined

bubsnbabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbies, 24 year olds, James and Victoria. Looking to make the move.

My name is James, and my wife is Victoria, both 24. We're looking to move to New Zealand in the near future, in paticular Wellington which we loved on our honeymoon.

My wife is a chartered accountant for Deloitte so will be looking to live close-ish to the city. Our problem right now is when to make the move. Do we buy a house here in Sussex first, 300-325k range, and then wait 7-10 years untill we've paid off the mortgage and just sell up and live mortgage free in NZ, or get a much bigger house there. Or, do we make the move sooner? look to buy in NZ and just go for it?

Personally I would like to get out to NZ as soon as possible as I hate so many things about Britain it's untrue, overcrowding, traffic, the rat race, the spiralling benefits culture families that have zero manners and zero class, I could go on and on. My wife on the other hand wants to stay for family reasons, and she actually likes living in Sussex.

If anyone has any opinions on the matter, I'd love to hear them, I'm paticularly interested in the quality of housing in NZ and what sort of money you need to spend to get a top quality detatched house, in a nice area, with a big garden, good views and close enough to Deloitte, Wellington.

Thanks coconuts xxxxx
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies, 24 year olds, James and Victoria. Looking to make the move.

Sorry, I can't help with your scenario as that is something only you & your wife can decide. Emigrating is a huge step & can put a huge strain on the best of relationships, so IMHO it's something that both parties have to be in favour of doing.

Good luck with your decision making & perhaps post some specific questions in the general forum & that will help you with the process.

Last but not least... WELCOME TO BE
Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newbies, 24 year olds, James and Victoria. Looking to make the move.

its a good time to buy in NZ at the moment, as the market is sluggish and serious offers can be made to people that really want to sell. it seems a lot more faff to buy in the UK first, and then have to sell, especially if you're keen to get over here sooner rather than later.

however, as already said, you BOTH need to want to make the move. it IS very stressful and life is not always easy, at first, over here.
you are both young, and have lots of time to make the move (as long as the immigration list is open).

or you could both come over, and rent a house for a year or so, until you decide its what you want. if you dont like- you can always just go back to the UK, without having to sell up in NZ first.
then you'll still have the money making interest, in the bank, ready to buy when and where you decide.

Last edited by MattandJax; Oct 10th 2010 at 9:17 pm.