Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand's New Scheme

New Zealand's New Scheme

Old Aug 13th 2003, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand's New Scheme

Now the people are aware of the changes, when do you think they will be fully implemented?
Old Aug 14th 2003, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand's New Scheme

Originally posted by N.Finn Fan
Now the people are aware of the changes, when do you think they will be fully implemented?
I'm only vaguely aware of what the new Skilled Migrant thing will be like. Have you found detailed info somewhere?

There's been plenty of talk about retaining a points system, giving bonus points for skills in demand and living outside Auckland etc., but this has left me for one still completely in the dark as to whether I'll qualify under the new scheme. Will the points system be completely new, or will they just tinker with the old one? Will people in their late 20s still get the most points for age? Will experience be counted in lumps of 2 years or 1 year or some other unit? Will a standard degree still get 10 points? Will the NZQA gradings of qualifications still yield the same number of points as now? Will it be more difficult to convince NZIS of the "relevance" of experience to qualifications? What will the 2-year work-to-residence thing look like?

I hope these and many more questions are answered soon, but judging from the last-minute announcements NZIS has made recently, I expect there'll be no more details until the day the thing starts.

Cheers,
John
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice
Default Re: New Zealand's New Scheme

latest dialogue with NZIS indicates IGSC (interim policy in place now) will continue until early new year.

Reason being that part of the policy change requires law change in Parliament, and they've only just finished the Select Committee hearings, and so are still to draft the final product.

NZAMI made submissions to the committeee about two weeks ago, so I would expect the changes will not be this year.

On the other hand, this Govt is betting a name for hurried policy changes....

Originally posted by jseni01d
I'm only vaguely aware of what the new Skilled Migrant thing will be like. Have you found detailed info somewhere?

There's been plenty of talk about retaining a points system, giving bonus points for skills in demand and living outside Auckland etc., but this has left me for one still completely in the dark as to whether I'll qualify under the new scheme. Will the points system be completely new, or will they just tinker with the old one? Will people in their late 20s still get the most points for age? Will experience be counted in lumps of 2 years or 1 year or some other unit? Will a standard degree still get 10 points? Will the NZQA gradings of qualifications still yield the same number of points as now? Will it be more difficult to convince NZIS of the "relevance" of experience to qualifications? What will the 2-year work-to-residence thing look like?

I hope these and many more questions are answered soon, but judging from the last-minute announcements NZIS has made recently, I expect there'll be no more details until the day the thing starts.

Cheers,
John