Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand not as safe as it's made out to be.

New Zealand not as safe as it's made out to be.

Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:52 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand not as safe as it's made out to be.

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Yes, the Colombian drug barons are thinking of coming to NZ, because it is where the action really is, if you are stupid enough to believe that Statistic you would probably believe old Soviet election results, 99.9 pople love the Great Chairman. No that statistic is about CRIMES REPORTED, when people actually have FAITH in their police, crimes get reported ! If you look at the bottom of the statistics report, it says that this does not reflect the real state of crime blah blah. This is obvious , isn´t it ?
To gauge real crime rates, see rates of murder, rape, burglary for a country, from the same website, NZ is nearly always in the safest few countries in the world !
BTW England has one of the lowest murder rates in the world, and a very low suicide rate, so we can´t be all that bad !
Yeah I know - as I said different countries have different ways of tallying up and as you said it's crimes reported, very true. England and Wales goes by number of victims so it causes disparity as I said. But from personal experience petty crime is prevalent in NZ. No I don't think the Colombian drug barons will bother with NZ - there's not that much coke there (from what I am led to believe) but P IS all over the place - ask any Kiwi - and it is the root of a lot of the crime there.

I have a lot of experience of Finland too - and there IS a lot of petty crime there too but that's probably because of the dark and the vodka.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:59 am
Account Closed

Incidentally NZ has been crying out for police from the Uk and other such countries so if you are one or know people who are, that's a way in! I am led to believe (by two friends who have done this) that a lot of the NZ police leave the force and take up private investigation work due to their lack of faith in the force - and PI work pays more, obviously!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mazi
Incidentally NZ has been crying out for police from the Uk and other such countries so if you are one or know people who are, that's a way in! I am led to believe (by two friends who have done this) that a lot of the NZ police leave the force and take up private investigation work due to their lack of faith in the force - and PI work pays more, obviously!
Yes, and there was that Auckland policewoman who was found to be a prostitute in her off duty a couple of months ago !
I think the Dutch couple crime is a warning to visitors in Camping Cars, stay in recognized sites !
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Yes, and there was that Auckland policewoman who was found to be a prostitute in her off duty a couple of months ago !
I think the Dutch couple crime is a warning to visitors in Camping Cars, stay in recognized sites !
Hilarious!

When my mum was a girl she lived with a nurse who always worked nights. It was a year before she discovered she wasn't a nurse at all!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Goldberry will become famous soon enoughGoldberry will become famous soon enough

Code:
 It was a year before she discovered she wasn't a nurse at all!
Well, in a way one could say they're taking care of men's health.

In this day and age I suppose it is more than just careless to throw caution to the wind when abroad. (And my first name is careless!) I really do feel for the people who experience such a nightmare.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

The Dutch couple crime in NZ is quite big news here in Belgium in the Flemish newpapers, i think the number of Dutch speaking visitors and migrants may reduced because of this. The journalists are even shocked it could happen in NZ
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:41 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Hilarious!

When my mum was a girl she lived with a nurse who always worked nights. It was a year before she discovered she wasn't a nurse at all!
A year? didnt she become suspicious when she brought work home?

Thank goodness she didnt ask your mum to lend a hand
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thebears
A year? didnt she become suspicious when she brought work home?

Thank goodness she didnt ask your mum to lend a hand
No she was the high-class sort (seems a contradiction in terms but still) and rented hotel rooms so work was always kept out of the house. She had a real nurse's uniform that she'd put on before leaving the house and everything. hmmm...maybe she used that as her pulling outfit?!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:11 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Female police officers turning out to be prozzies? lol!! that's nothing.... the police are now knowingly recruiting cadets with pevious criminal convictions - a case of 'if you can't beat 'em join 'em' I guess!

Still it could be worse - the government could be paying out thousands of dollars in compensation for the 'assault' of drug addicted prisoners forced to undergo cold turkey whilst in the nick.