Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand is no paradise, it is brutal

New Zealand is no paradise, it is brutal

Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Zealand is no paradise, it is brutal

'In all of the places I've stumbled through in a peripatetic decade, people of all nationalities, colours and creeds have been eager to tell me that New Zealand is paradise.

They've seen Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies, they've eaten frozen yoghurt at the NZ Natural franchise and glimpsed ads for Manuka honey on the sides of city buses from Kuwait to Canada ..........

Part One of Five

New Zealand is no paradise, it is brutal | Stuff.co.nz
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:53 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand is no paradise, it is brutal

Slow news day at Fairfax I see.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
'In all of the places I've stumbled through in a peripatetic decade, people of all nationalities, colours and creeds have been eager to tell me that New Zealand is paradise.

They've seen Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies, they've eaten frozen yoghurt at the NZ Natural franchise and glimpsed ads for Manuka honey on the sides of city buses from Kuwait to Canada ..........

Part One of Five

The woman needs a therapist. NZ is a frontier colony in its attitudes (just like Oz, Canada, US) and rurally has a macho culture (well it still did in the 80s/90s). Being shocked by the brutality of rugby, home kills, and the boisterousness of boys?? Actually I could write something similar about northern working mens clubs, football terraces, hare coursing on the moors and so forth and call it 'Brutal Britain - the true Reality :-)

Not supporting actual 'brutality', I would have had more sympathy if she had raised the subject of domestic violence levels in NZ.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Part One of Five

New Zealand has marketed itself very well over the last few years and the main selling point is always scenery and fewer people, so it's just natural that people (Expats) looking for those things will say New Zealand is paradise and because New Zealand is so remote (also smaller population), fewer younger people travel abroad.

Because it's so easy and cheap to travel for teenagers in the UK, everywhere else is paradise, especially when you get an all inclusive holiday for €300. Most people leave their country for a reason and no matter where you are the majority of Expats say the country they come from is not paradise. Of course, if it all goes wrong then the country you came from is better.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 14th 2016 at 9:42 am.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

I don't really understand her points at all,perhaps it's because i've only lived here 3 years so far but I certainly would not call New Zealand Brutal. I'd love to see her go to the North of Ireland at the height of the war or Palestine or Syria etc and see true brutality. New Zealand is a sheltered country. It's tough boy attitude is more tongue on cheek from the rural community than something to be taken seriously. I find most people here to be very understanding and empathetic In life and have similar values to Europeans in which most of the population here descend from
Old Sep 14th 2016, 11:03 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh, what a cringe-inducing poorly written opinion piece that was. Even the photos looked nicked off the internet and the sort of thing a 14 year old would use (the bullet!). Nothing new in either the material, the angle taken or the insights offered.

Part one of five. Really? Hope the standard improves ...
Old Sep 14th 2016, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

She's a bit soft isn't she.
As for the bullying, yes it's out there, I never really witnessed it myself until my last job and then it was just really extreme and extended criticism that kind of flip flopped from being praised one moment for initiative to being told I was being negative and that's probably cos I can't keep my mouth shut and had an opinion. Non of my boys have ever been bullied.
Slaughtering animals like that is a really kind way to dispatch them. No stress of a journey to the freezer works and nice tender home grown meat that has been grown in a nice environment.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of sad, really. Someone who had a very sad childhood and is blaming the country as a whole.

Not much different from growing up in the UK in the '50s and '60s. No double glazing or central heating and you wrapped up warm to go to bed.

Rugby is still a UK national sport, as well, especially fervently supported in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Oh, and France and Italy - another two cold harsh places.

Ummm....

But I was a little bit crazy with depression at that time and walked into the circle, snarling. To my astonishment, the circle vanished.
...this is one very unhappy person. So perhaps the view isn't completely balanced?

Footrot Flats (a rugby-playing sheep farmer and his male dog),
I seem to remember that his Auntie was hard as nails and in charge.

It all seems very biased through the memories of an unhappy person, and possibly not the view of the majority.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Part two

New Zealand is no paradise: Is it the most sexist place on earth? | Stuff.co.nz
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

This is suspect, in my opinion. This women claims to have not lived here for about 20 years and then goes on to describe the current attitudes toward women in NZ in minute detail. Not withstanding that NZ has more women elected to parliament than most other countries. And I dont think any NZ woman has been stoned to death for adultery yet, as per her preference for the treatment of women in Saudi Arabia. Im not sure whether women are allowed to even drive there??
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

The second article is much better - but yet again reflects a culture which was more prevalent (at least I hope so) in the last century in the UK. It does reflect the reported culture in the US back in the day, with "jocks" and cheerleaders filling much the same roles.

There is still a lot of concern over consent, "No means NO!" and the ability to give informed consent when intoxicated.

There is still a lot of difficulty getting a jury to convict in a rape trial.

However there is strong opinion (of witch hunt proportions) against under age sex especially where one of the participants is a lot older than the other.

I don't suppose there are many women on a UK Expats forum who have grown up in rural NZ but hopefully some parents can comment; the worrying part of the report is the acceptance of it all by the local adults.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 10:26 am
Just Joined

poppy10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
yet again reflects a culture which was more prevalent (at least I hope so) in the last century in the UK.
I've noticed that a lot here. Attitudes that were commonplace in the 70s in the UK but would be totally out of the mainstream now. Heard lots of people talking about rape victims having been "asking for it", lots of people excusing or condoning domestic violence as being part of a man's role, people coming out with casually racist comments - it really is like stepping into machine into a bygone era, and not in a good way.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 11:08 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Again, a poorly written piece but she is now touching on an important contemporary issue.

In the United Nations Report on the Status of Women published in 2011, Aotearoa New Zealand was ranked worst of all OECD countries in rates of sexual violence.
Yes. I did a small piece of research into sexual consent in NZ, particularly in the university campus context. It's a huge problem - much bigger than I think most people realise. There's a culture of normalised rape and sexual assault that is largely explained away as being about misunderstanding of consent but it's actually about male entitlement and misogyny. This problem isn't unique to NZ but it is especially stubborn and supported by attitudes in wider society.

The most interesting aspect of the Roastbusters case for me was (a) the fact that the police only acted when they had no other choice and had previously sat on their hands even when a serious complaint had been made (b) the several young women who were victims/ friends of victims and came out in defence of the rapists. Those two aspects are very telling about the normalised attitudes towards sexual violence and misogyny.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Its a lot better than a lot of places in a lot of things
and worse than many others in many things
so really on balance, no better or worse than anywhere else

you either like it or you don't.
If you like it great, come on in and join the party
If you don't, stop your bloody moaning and **** off somewhere else that'll make you happy

everything else is other peoples perspectives and marketing...end of story
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:49 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends a lot on what sections of society you bump into. Having worked in a very PC public sector job, I find I am appalled when I meet people in the real world with sexist and racist attitudes. No one I know has the sort of attitudes she talks about in the article, but you can't deny that there are people out there who think like that. I grew up here and never experienced the sort of sexism and sex abuse she describes. I never knew it existed, although it obviously did. One thing is true though - sex is treated more casually here in the young. Is that a bad thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.