Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand income

New Zealand income

Old Jan 10th 2004, 9:20 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Zealand income

Just wondering.
How much income (before tax) would a family of 4 need to live a comfortable life in NZ. Assuming no mortage or debt outside Auckland?

Jack
Old Jan 10th 2004, 11:03 am
Judy&Alun

Dodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Zealand income

Hi Jack,
in reply to your question under the old rules i had to get a job over here of at least $41500 per year to get my family of wife and three kids permanent residence. Rules may have changed again need to keep looking at the nzis web site for further information.
We have been here about 7 weeks now and are comfortable, on a weekly wage of $840 before tax. We are finding renting is a good option but price of the rent depends on area you want to live in.
Alun

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Just wondering.
How much income (before tax) would a family of 4 need to live a comfortable life in NZ. Assuming no mortage or debt outside Auckland?

Jack
Old Jan 10th 2004, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Hi Alun - just noticed you're in the same neck of the woods as us - hope you're enjoying it, it's a nice part of the country
Old Jan 10th 2004, 11:21 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the reply Alun.

I think its now $45k but could be wrong. I just wanted to have an idea for worst case scenorio ect.

My wife works in an hospital here in the uk and if the average wage for a ODP/nurse is $33-43k, I get a 5K (~13k NZ) pension. So worst case for us is about $46K without me getting a job. Just wondered if that was workable?

I will get a job but just didnt want to quit everything this end (I have a business, but it wont work in NZ) only to find I couldnt find work and we have to come back.

Jack
Old Jan 10th 2004, 7:39 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

anybody in NZ who's willing to post a list of their expenses? (including number of family members)

could be useful... saw some aussie ones a while back, but a NZ one could be useful.

(actually now I've written this I think Don may have posted one a while back??)
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Cheers for the reply Alun.

I think its now $45k but could be wrong. I just wanted to have an idea for worst case scenorio ect.

My wife works in an hospital here in the uk and if the average wage for a ODP/nurse is $33-43k, I get a 5K (~13k NZ) pension. So worst case for us is about $46K without me getting a job. Just wondered if that was workable?

I will get a job but just didnt want to quit everything this end (I have a business, but it wont work in NZ) only to find I couldnt find work and we have to come back.

Jack
Hi Jack, I live in hamilton(central North island.) You could get by on $45000 but youll just struggle along week to week. If you want to skimp on general expenses eg food, insurances, eating out then youll be able to afford to spend money on seeing a bit of the country. If its short term thats fine but who wants to live like that long term? I earn $60,000 have a 2 acre block and 6 children and we are not keeping up with costs - sure we dont skimp but we dont go out much either.

My advice to anyone coming to NZ - plan to buy an established business that will give you a decent income or both work fulltime jobs to pay the mortgage(not always possible if you have kids to look after like us). You will always just eke out a living on $45,000 over here. NZ is a nice place but in terms of wages or salaries for employees its rubbish in my opinion. thats why thousands of NZ's go to OZ to live and not may aussies want to live in NZ.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:04 am
Banned

Thanks for the reply.

Like I said $45k was like a worst case scenorio for us. We wont have a mortgage or any debt. I just wanted to make sure it was liveable. It would only be short term (hopefully) until I got a job.

What kind of lifestyle would you have then with say $60K no mortgage/debt for a family of 4.

Jack
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

We're on less than 45k and we do have a mortgage. 2 preschoolers and 2 cars. But we live in Napier. Makes all the difference. And we are happy.

Here's some of our expenses, but I wonder if it's useful to those in the city!!

monthly power - 80-120
monthly phone - 50-100
monthly rates - 140
monthly insurances (car, house, contents, life) - 170
monthly kindy fees - 40

weekly petrol - 30
weekly groceries - 200 ish

6 mth registration on each car - 115 ish (can't remember)
6 month warrant check on each car - 40

And that is all the main outgoings except mortgage.

Hope that helps someone.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:51 am
Banned

DaisyNZ

Thanks for the info.

If we say its a bit more to live in the city I have added a bit. Then if we dont spend these amounts it bonus time.

monthly power - 200
monthly phone - 150
monthly rates - 250
monthly insurances (car, house, contents, life) - 300
monthly kindy fees - 100

weekly petrol - 50
weekly groceries - 300 ish

Works out at around $2750/month
$33000/year

So out of $45k worst case scenario we have $12k left for living the life.

Do these figure sound about right and can you think of anything that is missing (water charges? ect.)?

Thanks for your help

Jack
Old Jan 11th 2004, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

I think you should be able to live a reasonable living on $45K as long as you own a house and car outright. Forego the exotic holidays though. Don't move to Auckland or Wellington which are mre expensive.

We take home about $4500 after tax a month. $1800 rent (until house bought), $200 power, $100 phone, $60 Sky, $50 internet, paid insurances/car up front. Go out a few times a fortnight and eat well. Don't seem to be able save any though.

Do they really do so well in Oz! Reading the threads about Oz folk seem to think that they eek a living in Oz too.

Roger
Old Jan 11th 2004, 10:13 am
Banned

Thanks Roger.

May as well make this a works in progress list then.

Bits i red are newly amended

monthly power - 200
monthly phone - 150
monthly rates - 250
monthly kindy fees - 100
monthly Sky - 60
monthly internet - 50

weekly petrol - 50

Works out at around $2860/month
$34320/year

So out of $45k worst case scenario we have $10.6k left for living the life.

If you can think of anything that's missing (water charges? ect.)?

Thanks for your help

Jack
Old Jan 11th 2004, 1:55 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Jack, haven't you forgotten tax on your salary of $45K?? it would be around 25%-30% I think....

so that would you leave you around $30K in the hand.....??? Or have you already calculated that?

$60K before tax would be much more comfortable....

I'm not sure overall costs in NZ city vs provincial are that different. the big cost difference is in property, but you're not going to have a mortgage.... but still a good idea to add a bit on for worst case scenario..... as I suppose transport and rates will add on a bit....
Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:29 pm
Banned

Good point TAX. The b####rds.

OK $45KNZ @30% tax= $31500 (no tax relief?)

Bits in red are newly amended

monthly power - 200
monthly phone - 150
monthly rates - 250
monthly kindy fees - 100
monthly Sky - 60
monthly internet - 50

weekly petrol - 50

Works out at around $2860/month
$34320/year

So out of $31500 worst case scenario we have -$2820.

If you can think of anything that's missing (water charges? ect.)?

Thanks for your help

Jack
Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:41 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Goes quick, don't it!
Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:47 pm
Banned

Just a tad. :scared:

Hope to win the Lottery soon so all of this is a waste of time anyway!

But just incase please make me as misearable as poss. by telling me what else I have forgotten.

Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.