Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

The link to the article is here: http://www.workpermit.com/news/2007-...82c7075c3d779f

Is this due to 'tall poppy' syndrome, lack of opportunities and low wages as discussed on another thread?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:25 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

IMO its almost exclusively because our near neighbour offers about 25% better wages, and you can get cheap flights home when you want.

On the immigration side of the equation, I guess the high value of the $NZ and NZ property price rises has taken away the immediate equity gain that was a factor several years ago, for Brits in particular. Your average 100k pounds probably only buys half a NZ mansion these days.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:30 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

New Zealand offers great landscapes and a slightly 'old-fashioned' way of living.

If you don't have kids and aren't interested in hiking then it's probably not the place for you.

(I might send that to the tourist board for their next slogan....)
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:55 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
New Zealand offers great landscapes and a slightly 'old-fashioned' way of living.

If you don't have kids and aren't interested in hiking then it's probably not the place for you.

(I might send that to the tourist board for their next slogan....)
We don't have kids (here) and don't hike and I love it here. It's 'only' the money that takes people away - if there was a turnaround in x number of years most people would come back. I know. I'm Irish and we did the same thing. As soon as there was money there most people went home, followed by the emigrants, and now you're just as likely to have an English builder to do your work (we did) as an Irish one. How times change. It's no reflection on the country or its people - rather the Government of the day and its policies. My husband was away from here for 13 years and it ate at him each and every day - the only reason he didn't come back was because of me and my commitments. I'd say 90% of the Kiwis who leave here only ever go for the short term - whether or not that becomes their reality I don't know - I do know they have a love of New Zealand that's more than patriotism - it goes way deeper than that. This may not be an old country in terms of European settlement but there is a spiritual pull that's as old as time itself for most Kiwis. Or at least, that's my experience.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Batty
We don't have kids (here) and don't hike and I love it here. It's 'only' the money that takes people away - if there was a turnaround in x number of years most people would come back. I know. I'm Irish and we did the same thing. As soon as there was money there most people went home, followed by the emigrants, and now you're just as likely to have an English builder to do your work (we did) as an Irish one. How times change. It's no reflection on the country or its people - rather the Government of the day and its policies. My husband was away from here for 13 years and it ate at him each and every day - the only reason he didn't come back was because of me and my commitments. I'd say 90% of the Kiwis who leave here only ever go for the short term - whether or not that becomes their reality I don't know - I do know they have a love of New Zealand that's more than patriotism - it goes way deeper than that. This may not be an old country in terms of European settlement but there is a spiritual pull that's as old as time itself for most Kiwis. Or at least, that's my experience.
Most Kiwis go to Oz for good especially the Maoris, NZ has not got the attraction of massive EEC agricultural grants like there is for the Irish Republic. Good old fashioned economics is the reason not "spiritual pulls" and associated wooliness
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:43 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Most Kiwis go to Oz for good especially the Maoris...
Many Kiwis do head over the Tasman for Aussie's opportunities, yes that's evident, but surely not most.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:02 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Many Kiwis do head over the Tasman for Aussie's opportunities, yes that's evident, but surely not most.
You'd be surprised - I know I was.

In the paper (The Press) yesterday was a small article on the fact that NZ numbers in a recent month (I forget which) rose by only 500, despite immigrant numbers in the thousands.

The number of Kiwi's off to Ozzy from ChCh is a big issue for business here. From anecdotal evidence I have heard, it seems that wages here are about a third less than Oz, but with a similar cost of living.

We (T and I) are only doing as well as we are because of the UK equity we had. If it weren't for that we'd be really struggling to purchase any property at all.

I really feel for the Kiwi's on $12/hr - there is no hope. No wonder they are off to 'Grass is Greener' Oz! Of course - whether it IS greener is a different matter.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:10 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

^Yes, I agree that there are high numbers of Kiwis crossing the ditch. However, it is inaccurate to state that most are going. Most would imply that the majority of the population are leaving New Zealand. I don't see that as the case.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:36 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

The 'most' statement made by Brussels_Sprout clearly reads as 'most of those (Kiwi's) that go to Oz don't come back', and for what it's worth I agree with them.

The statement doesn't make sense any other way. Before you start being picky about partial quotes taken from other posts, try to read the original post it was taken from first.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
The statement doesn't make sense any other way. Before you start being picky about partial quotes taken from other posts, try to read the original post it was taken from first.
But I like being a pedantic picky pain in the backside. It's my reason for living.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:10 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
massive EEC agricultural grants like there is for the Irish Republic.
Not any more (the new EC countries are getting the leg up now) and not for a good few years - the shift has been away from agriculture and towards industry - especially finance and IT and of course, building. Tbh, it's statements like that, that make me doubt the validity of people's 'facts' in lots of cases.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by southerner
IMO its almost exclusively because our near neighbour offers about 25% better wages, and you can get cheap flights home when you want.

On the immigration side of the equation, I guess the high value of the $NZ and NZ property price rises has taken away the immediate equity gain that was a factor several years ago, for Brits in particular. Your average 100k pounds probably only buys half a NZ mansion these days.
Simply, it's wot 'e said ^
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Batty
Not any more (the new EC countries are getting the leg up now) and not for a good few years - the shift has been away from agriculture and towards industry - especially finance and IT and of course, building. Tbh, it's statements like that, that make me doubt the validity of people's 'facts' in lots of cases.
Yeah Right !

In reality the Irish republic is receiving huge funds from EEC, and so can use traditional taxes to create new industries. This funding is now reduced after the adhesion of the new Eastern European member states

Here are some facts about grants to Irish republic

2000-2007 Irish republic has received 1 Billion Euro from Social Fund
http://www.esf.ie/en/homepage.aspx

Since joining the EU in 1973, Ireland has received approximately 17bn in EUR from the Structural and Cohesion Funds (to end 2003)
http://www.business2000.ie/cases/cases_8th/case12.htm

Guess which countries are net contributors to these funds ?

Most NZers will never return from Oz, would you ?

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Nov 22nd 2007 at 9:08 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

More than 10% of the population of NZ lives overseas with all but about 50,000 live in Australia. I was reading that in the Herald some months ago now.

What is interesting about this question is that there is a large percentage of new people coming from Asian countries. Not sure who is leaving, but there was an article, in the Herald again, noticing this fact. However, a large portion of Asian new comers from certain countries go back in the first few years after arrival.

I just realized, I wonder how many new people are leaving to go back home that may be impacting the numbers.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:24 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

And another stat for you:

1m of NZs population (of 4m) was born overseas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.