Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Houses

New Zealand Houses

Old Dec 16th 2006, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

valitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud of
Default New Zealand Houses

Hello

I have been reading a few of the threads here about NZ and a few remark on the --shabby--cold--damp--leaky--draughty--falling down--rubbishy houses.

Can i ask why they are like this, do no builders or surveyors emmigrate to NZ???

Is there no building control or regulations etc etc etc????

Puzzled
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand Houses

Originally Posted by valitus
Hello

I have been reading a few of the threads here about NZ and a few remark on the --shabby--cold--damp--leaky--draughty--falling down--rubbishy houses.

Can i ask why they are like this, do no builders or surveyors emmigrate to NZ???

Puzzled
There are of course all of the above, the main reason I would dare to suggest is $$ costs. People want to build a house as big a house as they possibly can for the minimum costs, which is a major cause of the leaky homes problems. They used a cheap house building system designed for warm sunny climes, without consideration for the damp wet conditions of NZ.

A lot of problems are due to a matter of quantity over quality and since most houses get built to suit an individual paying client rather than a mass market, there is a huge variation in quality of build. Although there is a huge market for doer-uppers, there is a strange phenomenon here too with newer houses; many people simply do not care for their homes and are not willing to invest one cent in upkeep or improvments to existing properties, preferring to move on when it reaches the stage of requiring work to be done.

As for dampness and drafty old houses, if you had lived in a house like that all your life, you wouldn't know any better and it becomes quite the norm. After all, we mostly lived like this in the UK before people started improving their homes with insulation, adding double glazing and central heating in the mid 70s.

Thinking like a local, faced with the dilemma, New boat? Central heating? Which one do you think would win?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Hello

Puzzled
Here we go, here we go, here we go....

NZ houses are not able to be built like UK houses because of earthquake risk. All NZ houses (I think) have a timber frame, with various types of cladding.

NZ houses do not have central heating because the cost of running it would be exorbitant. Plumbed in gas is only available in the North Island. Power is expensive. Many houses have log burners (low emmisions are now required) and/or heat pumps. My 1920s villa is very warm and not damp as we have a very good log burner.
New houses are required to have higher levels of insulation than there have been in the past. That said my 1920s villa is fully insulated.
New houses are more likely to have double glazing, but it is still rare. The cost of retro-fitting double glazing is exorbitant.

Much of NZ is not a tropical paradise, if you find that your house is cold and damp then there are many, many ways of making it better. Or move to another house if you do not want to put in the investment.
Many Brits find that they are renting a cold damp house for their first home then realise that it is a priority to not be living in a cold damp house and so rent or buy one that isn't for their second home.

Of course there are regulations...http://www.dbh.govt.nz/.

When you arrive in NZ you can always buy a section and build your own to your own requirements, many people do this.

I hope that helps

I bet this thread grows like topsy =)
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

valitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
There are of course all of the above, the main reason I would dare to suggest is $$ costs. People want to build a house as big a house as they possibly can for the minimum costs, which is a major cause of the leaky homes problems. They used a cheap house building system designed for warm sunny climes, without consideration for the damp wet conditions of NZ.

A lot of problems are due to a matter of quantity over quality and since most houses get built to suit an individual paying client rather than a mass market, there is a huge variation in quality of build. Although there is a huge market for doer-uppers, there is a strange phenomenon here too with newer houses; many people simply do not care for their homes and are not willing to invest one cent in upkeep or improvments to existing properties, preferring to move on when it reaches the stage of requiring work to be done.

As for dampness and drafty old houses, if you had lived in a house like that all your life, you wouldn't know any better and it becomes quite the norm. After all, we mostly lived like this in the UK before people started improving their homes with insulation, adding double glazing and central heating in the mid 70s.

Thinking like a local, faced with the dilemma, New boat? Central heating? Which one do you think would win?
Thanks for the reply.

Does this mean dont pay good money on a second hand house and only buy new?

Buy second hand very cheap then improve?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reply.

Does this mean dont pay good money on a second hand house and only buy new?

Buy second hand very cheap then improve?
It means don't be so sure that you know what you want until you have been in NZ a wee while and take the time to do your research. NZ housing is very varied, there are few streets with the houses all the same except in the new subdivisions. Most houses are of course second hand houses, and most people find something that suits them. You just need to get out here and do your homework.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Apple12
Here we go, here we go, here we go....

NZ houses are not able to be built like UK houses because of earthquake risk. All NZ houses (I think) have a timber frame, with various types of cladding.

NZ houses do not have central heating because the cost of running it would be exorbitant. Plumbed in gas is only available in the North Island. Power is expensive. Many houses have log burners (low emmisions are now required) and/or heat pumps. My 1920s villa is very warm and not damp as we have a very good log burner.
New houses are required to have higher levels of insulation than there have been in the past. That said my 1920s villa is fully insulated.
New houses are more likely to have double glazing, but it is still rare. The cost of retro-fitting double glazing is exorbitant.

Much of NZ is not a tropical paradise, if you find that your house is cold and damp then there are many, many ways of making it better. Or move to another house if you do not want to put in the investment.
Many Brits find that they are renting a cold damp house for their first home then realise that it is a priority to not be living in a cold damp house and so rent or buy one that isn't for their second home.

Of course there are regulations...http://www.dbh.govt.nz/.

When you arrive in NZ you can always buy a section and build your own to your own requirements, many people do this.

I hope that helps

I bet this thread grows like topsy =)
As regards central heating---so you couldnt have solid fuel or oil central heating then?

Double glazing expensive? i think i know what business to start then either that or decent sausages or so it seems here
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

As regards central heating---so you couldnt have solid fuel or oil central heating then?

Double glazing expensive? i think i know what business to start then either that or decent sausages or so it seems here
No. No central heating.
Double gazing - not sure why it is expensive, but I don't think it is due to a lack of competition or overcharging.
Sausages - an over rated problem. If you buy from a good butcher you will not be disappointed.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

No. No central heating.
Double gazing - not sure why it is expensive, but I don't think it is due to a lack of competition or overcharging.
Sausages - an over rated problem. If you buy from a good butcher you will not be disappointed.
Thanks Apple, still seems strange though that people want or put up with living in cold damp houses
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Apple, still seems strange though that people want or put up with living in cold damp houses
I don't. My friends don't. My family doesn't. My workmates don't.

If some people on this forum find themselves living in cold, damp houses, then they have plenty of options available to fix the situation.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

I don't. My friends don't. My family doesn't. My workmates don't.

If some people on this forum find themselves living in cold, damp houses, then they have plenty of options available to fix the situation.
Ah i see, think i will take some of the downer threads with a pinch of salt.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Some have to I am afraid. I have seen poverty here I never saw in the Uk, especially amongst families. Some cannot afford to have both heating or eating.
You heard the term 'never mind the quality, feel the width' That sums up NZ housing am afraid.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Ah i see, think i will take some of the downer threads with a pinch of salt.
Yes if you have LOTS of spare money during the long winter months to pay the HIGH power bills, you can chose to ignore.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:38 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

No. No central heating.
Actually there is central heating in NZ - both traditional UK style radiator systems (normally powered by diesel, wood pellet or delivered LPG boiler systems), and heat pump ducted systems.

Also, I think from an insulation point of view, there is a lot to be said for having 2 storey terrace houses like is reasonably common in the UK. The usual NZ style with single storey, detached, expansive, probably with ranch sliders or french doors to provide indoor/outdoor flow, really starts NZ homes on the back foot. But like others have said, there are plenty of options out there if you can afford them.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by southerner
Actually there is central heating in NZ - both traditional UK style radiator systems (normally powered by diesel, wood pellet or delivered LPG boiler systems), and heat pump ducted systems.
Thanks for that Southerner. I know heat pumps are becoming more popular, here in Christchurch anyway, but what proportion of homes would you say have the radiator style central heating?
Old Dec 17th 2006, 1:16 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Southerner. I know heat pumps are becoming more popular, here in Christchurch anyway, but what proportion of homes would you say have the radiator style central heating?
Probably differs according to the region. When we were househunting in Dunedin one of the say dozen houses we looked at closely, had a diesel system. We then bought a hundred year old villa with ceiling insulation only, and then investigated how to spend our heating and insulation budget.

We looked closely at a diesel powered radiator system, ducted heatpump system and wall/floor mounted heatpump units. Decided on the latter, ultimately because we didn't like the idea of a 1000 litre fuel tank in the garden, and ducted heatpump would have had to have been in the ceiling space, and wouldn't be effective with our 12 foot stud height.

There is at least one company run by an expat here in Dunedin doing radiator systems. When we spoke to him he was doing good business and we have heard of a couple of large houses he has done.

On the insulation front we put a lot more insulation (woollen) into the loft, but have not been able to do much else yet. Its not cost effective to do the walls unless you are completely renovating, and under floor is a bit cramped to easily put in polystyrene or other insulation.

We put double glazed windows in when we redid our bathrooms.

So yes, for a price you can put good heating/insulation in, and also slowly but surely having proper heating seems to becoming more the norm in NZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.