Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand is................

New Zealand is................

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Zealand is................

Fantastic!!!

3 years in and here are my observations.

NZ is nothing like the UK, lingo and driving on the same side is where it ends!

NZ is FULL of deserted beaches.

NZ is really beautiful.

NZ is VERY isolated, the most remote western civilisation apparently.

NZ is full of problems...just like almost everywhere.

NZ is one of the most expensive places to buy property in relation to earnings.

NZ housing stock is sooooooooooooooooooooo unlike UK stock its scarey....we have put in euro CH, a woodburner, bought 5 dehumidifiers, installed double glazing and have much more insulation work to do!!!!

NZ TV is pretty trashy..more adverts than anywhere else in the world, apparently!!

NZ shopping is often bemoaned...not enough choice, poor quality etc.

NZ wages are poor by world standards.

NZ cost of living is high, taken from what most people say, we personally feel FAR better off than we did in the UK...and we are in no way high earners.

NZ driving standard is appalling, road deaths are shocking.

NZ public transport is crap..don't think anyone will odds this one!!!!!

NZ weather is not a reason to come here...unless you go to Hawkes Bay or Nelson!!!! That said it is milder than the UK, but if you want REALLY good weather Oz is what you need.

NZ attitude towards children is remarkable..in Palmerston North anywhere you go be it a restaurant, shop or office in most cases there is somewhere for kids to chill..awesome!!

NZ parks and libraries are equally awesome if Palmy's are ought to go by.

NZ has open air pools, heated, for 6 months of the year..try finding one in the UK. Admission is about £1.20!

NZ people are friendly, open and keen to chat, kids more so.

NZ children are just amazing, full of respect, care and willing, kids appear to remain just that for longer than they do in the UK.

NZ is extremely child focussed.

Alas by stark, depressing contrast NZ has an awful child abuse record, domestic violence likewise.

NZ is not the answer to your problems.

NZ is a great place to live if you chose your area according to your needs.

NZ has virtually no traffic issues outside of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

NZ wines are great.

NZ produce is pretty cool too.

NZ utilities are expensive, gas electric etc.

NZ is not as 'green' as it makes out to be........its cleaner than most places apparently because only 4 million people live here.

NZ lost 45,500 people to Oz in the last 12 months...better wages, weather and quality of life are the rerasons apparently.

NZ mortgage rates are about 10%.

NZ larger is about $5.50 for just under a pint.

NZ petrol is $1.70 a litre.

NZ is a paradise for my 3 children all under 7.

NZ, anywhere in NZ is only 30 mins from the beach.

NZ has the best trout lake in the world. Taupo.

NZ has a town where you can surf AM and ski PM. New Plymouth.

NZ had a shocking mass murder (in the 1990s in think)..about 30 people killed I think by a loner in his 20's with a rifle at a beauty spot. Correct me if I am wrong.

NZ has given me and my family all we expected and much more. I am no happier than I was in the UK, I am just more content and after 45 years in the UK feel that I can finally rest my hat forever here in NZ.

NZ has about 80 million possums, they are vermin.

NZ has no snakes.

NZ has very little history (BY EUROPEAN STANDARDS), humans have only been here about 1000 years. Maori ori first, Maori second and pakeha (whites) last.

NZ is utterly wonderful warts and all. It's not for everyone and some people hate it here. I am lucky that I have found my little slice of paradise.

NZ rocks..and I have not even been to the Mainland yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:18 am
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Zealand is................

Originally Posted by Genesis
Fantastic!!!

3 years in and here are my observations.

NZ is nothing like the UK, lingo and driving on the same side is where it ends!

NZ is FULL of deserted beaches.

NZ is really beautiful.

NZ is VERY isolated, the most remote western civilisation apparently.

NZ is full of problems...just like almost everywhere.

NZ is one of the most expensive places to buy property in relation to earnings.

NZ housing stock is sooooooooooooooooooooo unlike UK stock its scarey....we have put in euro CH, a woodburner, bought 5 dehumidifiers, installed double glazing and have much more insulation work to do!!!!

NZ TV is pretty trashy..more adverts than anywhere else in the world, apparently!!

NZ shopping is often bemoaned...not enough choice, poor quality etc.

NZ wages are poor by world standards.

NZ cost of living is high, taken from what most people say, we personally feel FAR better off than we did in the UK...and we are in no way high earners.

NZ driving standard is appalling, road deaths are shocking.

NZ public transport is crap..don't think anyone will odds this one!!!!!

NZ weather is not a reason to come here...unless you go to Hawkes Bay or Nelson!!!! That said it is milder than the UK, but if you want REALLY good weather Oz is what you need.

NZ attitude towards children is remarkable..in Palmerston North anywhere you go be it a restaurant, shop or office in most cases there is somewhere for kids to chill..awesome!!

NZ parks and libraries are equally awesome if Palmy's are ought to go by.

NZ has open air pools, heated, for 6 months of the year..try finding one in the UK. Admission is about £1.20!

NZ people are friendly, open and keen to chat, kids more so.

NZ children are just amazing, full of respect, care and willing, kids appear to remain just that for longer than they do in the UK.

NZ is extremely child focussed.

Alas by stark, depressing contrast NZ has an awful child abuse record, domestic violence likewise.

NZ is not the answer to your problems.

NZ is a great place to live if you chose your area according to your needs.

NZ has virtually no traffic issues outside of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

NZ wines are great.

NZ produce is pretty cool too.

NZ utilities are expensive, gas electric etc.

NZ is not as 'green' as it makes out to be........its cleaner than most places apparently because only 4 million people live here.

NZ lost 45,500 people to Oz in the last 12 months...better wages, weather and quality of life are the rerasons apparently.

NZ mortgage rates are about 10%.

NZ larger is about $5.50 for just under a pint.

NZ petrol is $1.70 a litre.

NZ is a paradise for my 3 children all under 7.

NZ, anywhere in NZ is only 30 mins from the beach.

NZ has the best trout lake in the world. Taupo.

NZ has a town where you can surf AM and ski PM. New Plymouth.

NZ had a shocking mass murder (in the 1990s in think)..about 30 people killed I think by a loner in his 20's with a rifle at a beauty spot. Correct me if I am wrong.

NZ has given me and my family all we expected and much more. I am no happier than I was in the UK, I am just more content and after 45 years in the UK feel that I can finally rest my hat forever here in NZ.

NZ has about 80 million possums, they are vermin.

NZ has no snakes.

NZ has very little history (BY EUROPEAN STANDARDS), humans have only been here about 1000 years. Maori ori first, Maori second and pakeha (whites) last.

NZ is utterly wonderful warts and all. It's not for everyone and some people hate it here. I am lucky that I have found my little slice of paradise.

NZ rocks..and I have not even been to the Mainland yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow . . . what a great long list. Ta for posting.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:20 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest anyone who is moving to NZ for better weather to consider Hawkes Bay. We just seem to stay in the 20's for weeks and weeks without it getting muggy

Nice post. I've only been here one year but can't disagree with many of your observations, although I think there are plenty of places where you can live over 30mins from a beach. Queenstown, Wanaka, Taupo spring to mind- unless you're including lake beach ...
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spid
Wow . . . what a great long list. Ta for posting.
Cheers mate. Dull for those who already live here but thought it may be thought provoking for those who are 'on the move'. Have a lovely weekend.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

[ although I think there are plenty of places where you can live over 30mins from a beach. Queenstown, Wanaka, Taupo spring to mind- unless you're including lake beach ...[/QUOTE]

Not if you are a Kiwi driver!! Arf arf.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:23 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

Not if you are a Kiwi driver!! Arf arf.
True enough!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Nonfi...n-46453989.htm
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody good post - can't agree more, you think the NI is good wait til you come to the mainland!! 35° yesterday and 30° today, been in shorts since mid Oct - bliss!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Very Very useful post for someone like me who is coming over this year. But i am really concerned about the shopping part of things. Ive got this vision in my head about the fashion and that i am going to end up wearing frumpy clothes.

Can someone throw some light about fashion in general men and womens

Thanks
Mandy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

we are thinking of coming over next year and your post is very helpful but there is a lot of down points then good points but my attitude is anywhere is wat u make it.

if you can email me advice i`ll be grateful

thanks

[email protected]
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:39 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bellasmum

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Nonfi...n-46453989.htm
13 people were killed not 30

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramoana_massacre
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:53 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY
Very Very useful post for someone like me who is coming over this year. But i am really concerned about the shopping part of things. Ive got this vision in my head about the fashion and that i am going to end up wearing frumpy clothes.

Can someone throw some light about fashion in general men and womens

Thanks
Mandy
Well...... I think I'm well dressed but.... I have been here nearly three years now and maybe I'm not I buy quite a lot from www.ezibuy.co.nz (the Together and Apart labels mostly).
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

I agree with you Mark life is what you make of it. When i initially read the post I was on a bit of a downer of all the negative points, but I would rather hear peoples honest opinion and be prepared knowing full well life in NZ is not going to be a bed of roses!!!!!

We are emigrating to NZ this year as soon as house sells, and at times i have my doubts but having spoke to other people who already live in NZ the positives do appear to outweigh the negatives and then I realise why we chose to emigrate in the first place.

Good luck with it all Mark did I read a thread of yours saying you are making the move in 2009?

Mandy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=PHONEJUNKY;5981877]I agree with you Mark life is what you make of it. When i initially read the post I was on a bit of a downer of all the negative points, but I would rather hear peoples honest opinion and be prepared knowing full well life in NZ is not going to be a bed of roses!!!!!

Hi PJ!! I in the past was accused of being too happy clappy about NZ, thus I have changed my slant on things, I now give and honest warts and all response to life in NZ!! Hope it helps. Life in NZ is wonderful for us, warts and all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

stuartlittle is an unknown quantity at this point

NZ is...not the worlds best producer of beer - which has actually turned into a positive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.