Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New UK - NZ departure Tax

New UK - NZ departure Tax

Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:33 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of
Default Re: New UK - NZ departure Tax

There has been a departure tax when leaving NZ for years.
Can't remember if it is $20 or $25 for an adult.

I can remember lining up as a kid going on holiday to Australia, and Mum and Dad needing to find the extra $$$ for that tax.

Lots of agents across here automatically pay it for you when you book your ticket now, but I always have to remind our overseas visitors to make sure that they have remembered about it before they depart.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by ble
There has been a departure tax when leaving NZ for years.
Can't remember if it is $20 or $25 for an adult.
Yep, every country has airline taxes, it's just the UK one has risen substantially. I wonder how long before travel agents find ways to book flights to e.g. Dubai first (attracting a lower departure tax), then book separate flights from Dubai to Aus or NZ. Effectively, Heathrow will stop being a 'hub' for international flights.

The NZ departure tax is $25. Usually, this is included in ticket prices, but from Wellington (for some reason I can't fathom), the ticket prices don't include the tax, so you have to pay it at the airport. A minor inconvenience, but quite unnecessary. There must be some historical reason why Wellington Airport does this but Auckland and ChCh don't.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

When we first went to visit family 4 years ago we had to pay the departure tax at Auckland Airport we did this on 2 occasions I think.

Our travel agent has booked out trip in January in 3 stages. We are flying Manchester - Heathrow Economy then Heathrow - Sydney Premium Economy followed by Sidney - Auckland Economy again.

We will of course not see our luggage until we reach Auckland. It would be interesting to know how that would work out tax wise.

I tried to look at this myself but it would not let me do it in 3 stages the way Travel Agent had done.

The only way I could have done it was to book the Sydney to Auckland flight was to go on the Australian site which I did and the whole trip came out a lot more expensive.

I am glad we paid in full as well.

Thats another thing when we book our return trip from Tauranga to Auckland I go on the site as if I am in NZ and its a lot cheaper. They don't know I am sat in the UK do they.

June
Old Nov 5th 2010, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

We recently booked flights for Jan (paid in full) but were given the impression that airlines have known about this rise for some time and have already included it in their prices for departures after the said date..... it is just that the average person on the street has taken a while to cotton on !!!!!

( mind you at the mo, I never know what or who to believe !!!)
Old Nov 5th 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Well I will soon find out about that my son booked to go to visit the family in July next year and the Travel Agent said he only needed to pay the deposit. I told him that we had always been told if we did not pay in full the fare could rise. He rang them and she said the only thing that could change was the tax. Watch this space.

June
Old Nov 6th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louloumama
We recently booked flights for Jan (paid in full) but were given the impression that airlines have known about this rise for some time and have already included it in their prices for departures after the said date..... it is just that the average person on the street has taken a while to cotton on !!!!!

( mind you at the mo, I never know what or who to believe !!!)
It was big news 2 years ago!!! All over the news here

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10545097
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

An extra £45 on a trip to NZ? It's not really that significant is it?

I liked this quote from the artice:

He would not comment on whether Mr Brown had given any reassurance that the UK would address New Zealand's concern.

Like Gordon's first concern is how taxes in Britain affect New Zealand
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:10 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither
An extra £45 on a trip to NZ? It's not really that significant is it?
What a ridiculous fuss in New Zealand about another countries departure tax. The press here seem to think it’s some sort of deliberate move to scupper the number of tourists coming to see the Rugby World Cup. I’m pretty sure that the global economic crisis, the current balance of payments and God forbid the Carbon Tax, where slightly higher up the issues list for the UK government.

Instead of bleating about this maybe they should think about what damage the currently STUPIDLY high exchange rate is doing. The dollar is a good 15-20% higher than the median point. Assuming the average Rugger fan will spend about $7000 whilst staying here including the STUPIDLY inflated hotel rates (now there’s another far more valid reason people won’t come), this equates to over $1000 more due to the current strength of the Kiwi Peso!.....sort of puts the extra $62 departure tax into perspective!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
What a ridiculous fuss in New Zealand about another countries departure tax. The press here seem to think it’s some sort of deliberate move to scupper the number of tourists coming to see the Rugby World Cup. I’m pretty sure that the global economic crisis, the current balance of payments and God forbid the Carbon Tax, where slightly higher up the issues list for the UK government.

Instead of bleating about this maybe they should think about what damage the currently STUPIDLY high exchange rate is doing. The dollar is a good 15-20% higher than the median point. Assuming the average Rugger fan will spend about $7000 whilst staying here including the STUPIDLY inflated hotel rates (now there’s another far more valid reason people won’t come), this equates to over $1000 more due to the current strength of the Kiwi Peso!.....sort of puts the extra $62 departure tax into perspective!
Hear Hear. But for the fact that we go to visit family the exchange rate would put us off going.

June