Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Plymouth here we come.....

New Plymouth here we come.....

Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Plymouth here we come.....

I would definately say you need to rent first!! as NP is a big place with some desirable and non-desirable areas, you need to find you feet and find out where it is you want to be, Just let us know when you arrive and we'll arrange a meet-up, and in the meantime if you need anything else, just yell out ok???

Hi,

Thanks for all your messages. I know its going to be a long drive but at least the traffic will be moving it can take me up to 30 mins to drive 5 miles where we live at the moment in rush hour! No we dont have any children we are both in our late 20's so would like to live in an area with a bit of a social life!! Meeting up for a would be great!
Jx[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:25 pm
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DGH

Maybe you could rent first in New Plymouth? This way you can test out that communte without the ties of a mortgage.
The most sensible suggestion so far

These things you may never considered being used to a slow commute! Things like driving at Night in New Zealand it is very fatiguing and yes DARK!!! State Highway 3 may sound like a Fast Road it is not it is single carriegeway and it is not well lit either! When winter comes and there is frost/ice on that road in NZ they do not salt the roads. In summer you got the heat to contend with! Factors that make the commute tiring! Also since you probably read about the dodgy driving in New Zealand SH3 is among the highest road accident blackspots. And because of that it also has a heavy traffic police patrol so if you do think going faster is an option you might find that costly in the long run.

I mentioned this thread to someone I know who lives in Hawera and the reply I got was "dont underestimate the commuting distance" Like they said it only takes one slow moving car and you can add several minutes to your daily trip. They used to commute to New Plymouth from Hawera daily so they have an idea of the conditions.

By far the most sensible idea is to rent in New Plymouth first and not rush in to the housing market.

Another pointer is that Housing in South Taranaki is way more cheaper than New Plymouth to buy so theres another option if you flash with cash? House in New Plymouth and a Batch (holiday home) or rent in South Taranaki.

A good option given the Car running costs and spending $150 plus per week on travel costs
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Madmaxdeux
The most sensible suggestion so far

These things you may never considered being used to a slow commute! Things like driving at Night in New Zealand it is very fatiguing and yes DARK!!! State Highway 3 may sound like a Fast Road it is not it is single carriegeway and it is not well lit either! When winter comes and there is frost/ice on that road in NZ they do not salt the roads. In summer you got the heat to contend with! Factors that make the commute tiring! Also since you probably read about the dodgy driving in New Zealand SH3 is among the highest road accident blackspots. And because of that it also has a heavy traffic police patrol so if you do think going faster is an option you might find that costly in the long run.

I mentioned this thread to someone I know who lives in Hawera and the reply I got was "dont underestimate the commuting distance" Like they said it only takes one slow moving car and you can add several minutes to your daily trip. They used to commute to New Plymouth from Hawera daily so they have an idea of the conditions.

By far the most sensible idea is to rent in New Plymouth first and not rush in to the housing market.

Another pointer is that Housing in South Taranaki is way more cheaper than New Plymouth to buy so theres another option if you flash with cash? House in New Plymouth and a Batch (holiday home) or rent in South Taranaki.

A good option given the Car running costs and spending $150 plus per week on travel costs
Thanks everyone for the messages. We will be renting so like you say if its a struggle with the commute we could move a bit closer!
Crown were really good the guys took only 3 hours to pack up our 2 bedroom flat (that worked out at quarter of a container) so watch this space to see how it works the other end! No tips really just have the kettle and coffee ready, we felt a bit lost as they did all the work and we just felt in the way!
Jx