new plymouth

Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

deb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nice
Red face new plymouth

We have just recieved our visas and will be on our way to new plymouth within the next month. We will get the 1st mth in a rented house by new employer and are looking to buy a property asap when we get there.

We would be grateful for some suggestions as to the best areas to look at in new plymouth for buying a house and any tips that might be helpful about our new destination.

There is only the 2 of us and a brick modern house would be our first choice, so any suggestions very welcolme.

Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:39 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new plymouth

Sorry, know nothing about New Plymouth just wanted to say Congratulations! Hope all goes smoothly with your move over
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

deb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nice
Red face Re: new plymouth

Thanks for that.

A bit disheartened at the lack of response, can I take it we will be the only expats in the place, or is that bad nobody wants to say anything ??

I hope not as it has taken a lot of sleepless nights, form filling and phone calls to get there !!
</IMG>
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by deb_steve
Thanks for that.

A bit disheartened at the lack of response, can I take it we will be the only expats in the place, or is that bad nobody wants to say anything ??

I hope not as it has taken a lot of sleepless nights, form filling and phone calls to get there !!
</IMG>
Im sure its ok! I have got an interview for a job in NP so you never know!!!!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

WOMAD's great every year........try this recent thread...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=new+plymouth
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Im sure its ok! I have got an interview for a job in NP so you never know!!!!
Hope the interview goes well for you, if you don't mind me asking, what made you want to leave the uk.

For us it was the usual things, nanny state, political correctness, crime, etc. etc. It has got that bad we don't even watch the news any more.

Now the time for us to go I am crying at least two or three times a day as friends and relatives say their farewells, the worst thing is the kids. We have 4 lads between us ranging from 21 to 26 and a grandson who is 2. Although it will be hard to say goodbye to them I just feel it is the right thing to do.

Exciting, sad, an adventure, at my age who would have thought!!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Hope the interview goes well for you, if you don't mind me asking, what made you want to leave the uk.

For us it was the usual things, nanny state, political correctness, crime, etc. etc. It has got that bad we don't even watch the news any more.

Now the time for us to go I am crying at least two or three times a day as friends and relatives say their farewells, the worst thing is the kids. We have 4 lads between us ranging from 21 to 26 and a grandson who is 2. Although it will be hard to say goodbye to them I just feel it is the right thing to do.

Exciting, sad, an adventure, at my age who would have thought!!

Hi,

Thanks for your message. We came travelling in NZ about six years ago and loved it and always said we wanted to come back, I also have family out here who emigrated here in the 80's who Im really close to despite the distance!. So we thought now is the time to do as we are both young no family yet etc etc!

It always will be a difficult desicion but you only get one chance and we dont want to say what if in a few years!

J x
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

We have just recieved our visas and will be on our way to new plymouth within the next month. We will get the 1st mth in a rented house by new employer and are looking to buy a property asap when we get there.

We would be grateful for some suggestions as to the best areas to look at in new plymouth for buying a house and any tips that might be helpful about our new destination.

There is only the 2 of us and a brick modern house would be our first choice, so any suggestions very welcolme.

Hi just wanted to also wish you good luck. I was in new plymouth about 3 months ago and it was lovely. My cousin moved there back in feb of this year with her husband and 3 kids and they love it there. She had never been there before - only in auckland and the far north but her hubby got a job offer there so thats where they went. She has settled very well. I do feel for you having to say the goodbyes. Its hard going but life is what you make of it and if its not for you at least you tried it. Just remember tho that it will take time to settle, even things like buying food in the supermarket will be very different. The houses are different, the way of life etc..... It would probably help if you get sorted there first then try and get involved into the community. There are heaps of people on this site that have listed the many great things about nz and in time you too will see it for yourself.

As far as houses go in new plymouth, i'm sure they are the same as everywhere in nz. There is alot to choose from. Try renting first til you know where your happy with. People on this site will give you plenty of feedback - try and find a thread as i'm sure there are loads. Brick and tile seem popular - insulation in houses are always a problem in winter. Take your time and have a good look around. The right house will come. Stay positive and enjoy the adventure.................... The very best of luck to you
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Deb and Steve

sorry not been online much so didnt see post.... you will love it im sure , We certainly do.

when we first arrived we were in a holiday let for first month , to let us look for a good rental as i didnt want to just take first thing that was there. this was great as it really gave us a good chance to find something decent. We ended up in a brand new brick house with great landlord, there wasnt any heating but i said to him we were cold and next thing we got a heat pump so all is great. We now stay in inglewood which is 10 minutes away from town which we love and after lving here wouldnt move back into town, its close enough but far away enough if you know what i mean, plus we have every shop we need here all within 5 minutes walk which is a bonus, so car tends to sit in garage unless we going out etc.

most of np is lovely to stay though i would stay away from marfell , waitra to is a bad bit but its wayyyyyyyyy out of town anyway.

we are in process of building our own house , so this one will be getting sold , 3 bed brick with heat pump and hrv system.. its a lovely house and we love it but really want a 4 bed so more room for more kids lol and visitors etc

if you need anything give me a shout, i have posted some pics on the pic thread , oh yea and weather is great herethough it rained past 2 days but i was walking around with short sleeved top on monday so not that cold...

caroline
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thank for advice, much to consider ! It sound like Inglewood is at the top of the list.

I will be looking for a job when we arrive and was wondering what the job market is like in New Plymouth, my previous experience is Customer Service/Office environment.

Could anyone give me the head up as to what the job market is like in these fields, although I am open to a new challenge . My only objection is to going into a call centre as I have spent the last 5 miserable years in one and don't want to repeat it.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of

Hi there, I also live here in NP and love it...

As for where to live it all depends on what you want and how close you want to be to things??

we've been here 8 mths and we stilll haven't decided where we want to be, at the min we are enjoying being in the hussle bussle but then we came from a very small town in the Uk so it's nice to even have the supermarkets 5 min drive/ 10 min walk away. and being able to get on our bikes and bike the whole length with our friends and their kids is even better, not so sure i'd want to move out of new plymouth to be honest but we have found our land which is about 5 mins into town....

As for the Job situation it changes everyday if you haven't got kids to worry about you should be able to pick something up quite quickly, unless you don't mind the daycare/after school club/holiday club route if you have!!!

Give us a PM if you need anything else before your arrival won't you?
and maybe once your here we could all meet for a coffee

Andrea x (HI CAZ!)

Thank for advice, much to consider ! It sound like Inglewood is at the top of the list.

I will be looking for a job when we arrive and was wondering what the job market is like in New Plymouth, my previous experience is Customer Service/Office environment.

Could anyone give me the head up as to what the job market is like in these fields, although I am open to a new challenge . My only objection is to going into a call centre as I have spent the last 5 miserable years in one and don't want to repeat it.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

I cannot believe how everyone is so welcoming, it really helps when making such a big step to know that other have done it and are glad they did and are willing to help.

I hope you don't think we are being too rash wanting to buy a property straight away but I think that has something to do with our ages, we feel we want to put down roots as soon as possible.

Once again thanks for all you advise, it would be really nice to put some faces to makes when we get there.

I am sure I will have some more questions soon so be prepared.

Debx