Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New to Christchurch

New to Christchurch

Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

tessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nice
Default New to Christchurch

Hi,
Have been in Christchurch with my husband now for 2 months and we are both feeling very unsettled. While he works I am struggling with the lack of work although I think it's more the lack of human contact and am getting increasingly homesick (rubbish really as we've not been here that long!).
We have bought a house that needs work (-unbeknowns to us despite survey etc!!) so that is adding to the misery as all our free time is now taken up with renovations that really can't wait!
If anyone in the Chch area can post any notes of positivity please feel free as we don't feel we are getting the most out of our new 'home'!!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:03 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Christchurch

Hi Tessa

Welcome! but sorry to hear you're a bit down. Can be lonely at first.
Where abouts in Cch are you? We're in Rangiora. We're still fixing things on our house, luckily OH very handy and in the trade but can get on your nerves having weekend after weekend taken up with repairs/mtce rather than getting out and about. What needs doing on your house?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

tessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nicetessa1 is just really nice

Hi, thanks for replying!
The house has vermin (and I don't mean the odd mouse - I'm talking rats in the cavity wall) Have had equivalent of Rentakil and we are baited etc but the damage has been done so spare time especially over Xmas and New Year was taken up with clearing up lofts etc! I'm at my wits end now.....
Again my OH is very DIY minded but it's grim for him all the same.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey. Welcome to this little NZ forum.

Have a pop into the main forum ( maybe someone has a wizzo idea about the poxy rat infestation) and maybe try a thread in the Meet-ups area too. I know Wiz n Ton are in Christchurch and a few others too.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hey. Welcome to this little NZ forum.

Have a pop into the main forum ( maybe someone has a wizzo idea about the poxy rat infestation) and maybe try a thread in the Meet-ups area too. I know Wiz n Ton are in Christchurch and a few others too.
Thank-you for that! I think OH is on the case as well!!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

where abouts in chch ? we are near the embo,s ur welcome anytime

Neil
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:44 am
Banned

Kiwikid will become famous soon enough

Hi from Christchurch! Happy new year, sorry you are finding things tough. Great you have a new home.

I am 30 female, live in Halswell.
I have just become single after 9years, and found a site yesterday with fantastic motivational quotes on it!

"Whatever we are waiting for — peace of mind, contentment, grace, the inner awareness of simple abundance– it will surely come to us, but only when we are ready to receive it with an open and grateful heart. "

"And finally, I want to acknowledge that making changes in your life is never an easy task. The key, however, is not to get caught up in the distance you have to go to get to where you want to be. Nor should you despair over the amount of control you have over your circumstances. Progress is made in the small, intentional steps, and chances are, you have more power than you think. By focusing on little steps you can take every day, the progress you make will motivate you to continue your journey, and eventually, you can go wherever you want to go. The important thing is simply to begin. "
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think the rats might need more than 'motivational quotes'
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Thank-you all!
We are in Cashmere - lovely area, shame about the 'locals' (furry four legged ones!!!)
Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome
sorry to hear you're having a rough time
We are pretty close to you - we're in Halswell
we've just spent the best part of 2 years doing our house up - although not forced by rats - so know where you're coming from in terms of free time.
If you fancy a change of scenery, give me a call (have pm'd contact details). I'm working but part time, have a hubby, 2 children and 2 dogs
keep smiling
Cheers
Vicki
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:48 pm
loui5a

loui5a will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tessa1
Hi,
Have been in Christchurch with my husband now for 2 months and we are both feeling very unsettled. While he works I am struggling with the lack of work although I think it's more the lack of human contact and am getting increasingly homesick (rubbish really as we've not been here that long!).
We have bought a house that needs work (-unbeknowns to us despite survey etc!!) so that is adding to the misery as all our free time is now taken up with renovations that really can't wait!
If anyone in the Chch area can post any notes of positivity please feel free as we don't feel we are getting the most out of our new 'home'!!
Hey Tessa1,
Would love to keep in touch my email if you want to. I am still in the UK, my husband is heading to Christchurch at the end of March and we (my daughter (11) and I) hope to follow a few months after.
PM me if you want
Louisa
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by loui5a
Hey Tessa1,
Would love to keep in touch my email if you want to. I am still in the UK, my husband is heading to Christchurch at the end of March and we (my daughter (11) and I) hope to follow a few months after.
PM me if you want
Louisa
Cheers, Im trying to work out 'PM'ing.........
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Just click on the persons name and it gives u the option
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Just click on the persons name and it gives u the option
Thank-you!! Mind is too full of other stuff at the mo!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tessa1
Hi, thanks for replying!
The house has vermin (and I don't mean the odd mouse - I'm talking rats in the cavity wall) Have had equivalent of Rentakil and we are baited etc but the damage has been done so spare time especially over Xmas and New Year was taken up with clearing up lofts etc! I'm at my wits end now.....
Again my OH is very DIY minded but it's grim for him all the same.
Hi Tess are you near the river? not a nice way to have your first Xmas in NZ.
I live in Woodend and I will be in town next week if you would like to meet for a coffee please PM me!!most of us have missed the uk at some point it does get better you will make new friends from this site so hope your new life works out for you both just need to give it time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.