Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

new to all of this

new to all of this

Old May 3rd 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice
Smile new to all of this

hi
me and my husband paul are going through the process to emigrate to new zealand through the skilled trade route.

it all seems ok so far, but we are going to apply for the visa in the next couple of weeks. however i know that we need to apply for jobs, but i dont a clue where to start

paul is a maintenance electrican and i am an assitant buyer,

can anyone point us both in the right direction and give us any hints and tips, i know that process is going to take a while but we are just trying to get things in prospective, and see if we need to sell the house etc.

also has anyone taken their pets with them, we have 2 cats and i would love to bring them along, i dont think that i could part with them.

i look forward to hearing from you

kirstie
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: new to all of this

Hi Kirstie and welcome to the forum. If you look on the really useful thread I think there are some links for job seekers on there.
There are loads of people who have brought their pets who will give you good advice - RobClubley brought his cats recently, you could PM him and ask him the process, but I know others ill respond.
Where are you hoping to move to? Have you been out before? We're in Welly with our 3 kids.

Ps I'm from Sunderland originally
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

hi Kirsty,
Get your OH to get his qualifications checked and approved by NZ, it can save time in the long run.
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi donna

thank you for your reply i will have a look through the forums. we were thinking of wellington or christchurch, but not sure i think we need to do some more research. we have not been out before, but i think we are going to try and come out, otherwise just go in the deep end and move.

we both live in cramlington ( just north of newcastle)

its all a bit scary as things are moving fast and we are trying to finish the house we are renovating, so that it can be put up for sale ready for the move.

how long did it take you for it all to go through?

with regards

kirstie
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Goodness me Kirstie.
If I had the choice between the husband and the cats, the cats win hands down everytime.
We brought out both our lovely cats and they were fine with the trip. One was 10 at the time and one was 8. We used Airpets which did the job with no problems. Others have used Golden Arrow I think.
you just need to make sure their jabs are up to date , have them microchipped and then follow the instructions the pet carrier gives you. You will need to collect poo samples . Yis ! I did say poo samples. What a lovely job that is when it is a cat and you need to get them an extra jab for hook worm via your vet. Other than that the pet carrier will hand walk you through the whole process.

As your bloke is an electrician , he is a WANTED MAN, on the skills shortage list.

If you are just wanting to come for a year or so , then you will need to find a job offer before you can apply for a work visa. Its a visa if applied for in the UK and a permit if you do it once in NZ.
Of course you could come in on a visitors visa - you need to buy return tickets for this and have proof you intend to return to the UK - and then find a job here . Once you have that, then apply for the work permit.

If you want to come permanently - PR - he can come in on a skilled application and will gain 50 points for his UK trade qualifications.

you need at least 100 points to apply. If you had a NZ job offer as a sparky plus his quals then , bingo, 100 points straight off. It's 50 points for an NZ job. That is not to mention the points for age etc.

Its a bit late here - midnight.

Try the points indicator

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

how many have you got without a job offer?

I have to say that NZ employers do prefer to meet their man. It is possible to gain a job offer from the UK however.
Look up NZ yellow pages and blitz all the employers in the area you hope to settle in.
Or
Come out here on a reccy and find a job offer. This is what we did.

There are also Nz job web sites.
Its a bit late now so I think I will post up what links I can find tomorrow .
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi again.
We have been here early three years now. My husband is a plumber and we live in Nelson. Top end of South Island. Its a wonderful place to live.
From when we first thought of it - suddenly - to actually arriving was about a year to 18 months in all. We came out on a reccy 9 months after we first agreed to emigrate and had at least 8 job offers. We then went back to the UK and ther emplyer waited a further 4 months for us. It took ages to sell our house.
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

hi bevs

we have 135 for paul and 110 for me without the job offer.

we are wanting to come and live in new zealand permanently it just that even if paul would get a job offer and would just see what i could find when i got there, i used to work in travel and thats where my degree is, but i will just work in admin or something as well.

its puts my mind at rest when i know that people have also taken their pets, i will find out about that as well.

we are nearly finished with the house, we dont think it will take that long to sell, as it is great for the first time buyer or family.

its just trying to get everything to fall into line, and the fact that we are really going ahead with it , is just a shock, (but a nice one)

i jusst appreciate all the help that everyone on here is prepared to give

with regards

kirstie
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by KIRSTIE
hi bevs

we have 135 for paul and 110 for me without the job offer.
Hiya Kirstie, Welcome to the site. Just thought that I would add my two pennies worth. If you have enough points for PR (and I'd say with 135 from your OH, you definitely do!) I'd go for entry to NZ through this route. We were originally trying this route ourselves, but don't have enough points. Entering with PR will make job hunting so much easier and will just give you a bit more security.
Obviously there are lots of other issues to consider, like, I suspect the length of time in getting a PR to that of a work visa. Oh! if it was just a bit easier hey!
Anyway, good luck with it all and keep us posted.
Leighlou.
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: new to all of this

As I mentioned earlier Kirstie, his trade qualifications will need to be approved in NZ before he will be able to work. So it might be worth checking this out.
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

hi jules

thankyou

we will look into this, on the paperwork we have it looks like we will need to fax over a copy of his qualitification certificates and my degree certificate for it all to be certified.

but i will get on the case beginning of next week

with regards

kirstie
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im glad to hear that as it is important, as they can take several weeks or even months in our case.
Our problem was to do with my wifes quals. being in her maiden name.
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

hi jules

that is the same with me, mine are in my maiden name, i think i will just send a copy of my marriage certificate with them, just so it all ties together

with regards

kirstie
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

good idea.
We didnt even think of it, at the time.
Old May 3rd 2007, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Dawn1972 is a jewel in the roughDawn1972 is a jewel in the roughDawn1972 is a jewel in the roughDawn1972 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Kirstie
I`ve only been on here a few days but the advice and been really good and down to earth.My OH is a carpenter and we have found work on www.stuff.co.nz and then when to the link at the top of the page called trademe and you have jobs and properties on there. We have 3 jobs on the table at the moment just from this site and it`s free, unlike the £2000 an agency wanted to charge, stay well clear of them.We did consider bringing our 3 dogs over but was going to cost £3,500 just for 2 of them so we had to make the hard decision to find them good homes. I would say if money is no object and they are in good health then bring them but if you are on a budget then you have to really think about it.Good luck with your journey as it unfolds.x
Old May 3rd 2007, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: new to all of this

txs Dawn, hadnt tried this site.
Just applied for a job, so fingers crossed.
Regards
Jules