Reload this Page >

Netflix. Is it worth it please?

Netflix. Is it worth it please?

Old Nov 7th 2016, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Netflix. Is it worth it please?

Back to this again.

We're finally able to have wireless broadband & the connection certainly seems faster at the moment.

Unotelly seems to have died a death or did I miss something.

Is Netflix worth it? I'm thinking UK TV, UK sport coverage and maybe some films thrown in. That type of thing.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 11:07 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix. Is it worth it please?

We still use our UK Netflix account here and it works without VPN. It deducts 7.49 pounds per month from my UK account, so $12.70 per month and has a lot of decent content. I would say its actually better than a year or two ago and well worth the money. Lots of good films and tv series, it's better than Lightbox imho. Don't really bother with normal scheduled TV.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 11:32 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I use Getflix to get Netflix US, BBC iplayer, SBS (Australia) and occasionally ITV and Ch 4, although I don't watch those last two very often. At the moment I am not able to get Netflix UK through Getflix - preferred Canada but can't get that either. Pity.

Netflix has really pushed down on the vpn/dns services and most of the big ones have stopped supporting it. You can still use them to get BBC etc. I signed up for Amazon UK Prime monthly which was ok, but you still have to pay for the good content. Easy to set up if you still have a UK bank account with funds in it.

You may want to take advantage of the various free trials on offer, and then dip in an out on a monthly basis. Eventually you find the ones you like the best. Don't forget the local Lightbox. You can get it free with certain Spark services.

Last edited by jmh; Nov 7th 2016 at 11:34 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 12:11 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jmh, we use a VPN for BBC iplayer etc. but UK Netflix seems to work for us without it. It works on tablet and PC and even works on our UK smart TV which connects over the standard wireless broadband with no VPN's enabled.

We also use the Amazon Prime here which I was surprised about because Amazon told me it wouldn't work in NZ. This was lucky as we had some online purchased content we would have lost otherwise.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 12:15 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
Hi jmh, we use a VPN for BBC iplayer etc. but UK Netflix seems to work for us without it. It works on tablet and PC and even works on our UK smart TV which connects over the standard wireless broadband with no VPN's enabled.

We also use the Amazon Prime here which I was surprised about because Amazon told me it wouldn't work in NZ. This was lucky as we had some online purchased content we would have lost otherwise.
Intriguing - Netflix is supposed to be country-sensitive so it changes when you travel, so something is telling Netflix you are still in the UK. Mine reverts to Netlix NZ when I turn the dns service off.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 12:30 am
Welly bound

Yes, indeed that doesn't really make much sense!
We don't have a dns service but the iplayer gets very upset without the VPN enabled. Unless we are using Netflix NZ without realising it? I'm not sure whether the content differs. We are paying from UK account though, so maybe it just thinks we are on holiday?
Old Nov 8th 2016, 1:16 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Yes, indeed that doesn't really make much sense!
We don't have a dns service but the iplayer gets very upset without the VPN enabled. Unless we are using Netflix NZ without realising it? I'm not sure whether the content differs. We are paying from UK account though, so maybe it just thinks we are on holiday?
You may be getting Netflix NZ without realising it. Netflix is set up so that it doesn't matter which country you signed up to, you get local Netflix, e.g. if you go to the US you get US Netflix. I didn't feel UK Netflix was that much better than NZ, so you may not notice it too much. US is best, and imo Canada is good, but I can't get that right now. Can you access Netlix UK via your vpn?
Old Nov 8th 2016, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Back to this again.

We're finally able to have wireless broadband & the connection certainly seems faster at the moment.

Unotelly seems to have died a death or did I miss something.

Is Netflix worth it? I'm thinking UK TV, UK sport coverage and maybe some films thrown in. That type of thing.
I was loving it until my Windows 10 update (from 7) screwed up my video/audio synch was perfect up till then.

I think its great value for money. Its going up this month, they are adding GST I think. The Fall is incredible, so many other british titles. No adverts and subtitles too. Bloody marvellous, save for the Windows 10 sabotage!
Old Nov 8th 2016, 1:55 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
You may be getting Netflix NZ without realising it.
Yes unless you know of content that is only on your account country and not your local country you wouldn't know. An obvious test is Friends, on the US library but not on NZ, but if you travel to the US and login with your NZ (actually any), Netflix account then you will get the US content.

Netflix has been very aggressive with the likes of Unotelly by blocking their US IP addresses and has likely done the same with the big-volume proxy services. I expect they will automate that as its pretty easy to spot any IP address pulling more than 4 streams (the max Netflix plan), and that will kill off the smaller proxy services.

I wish they would have global content deals with the content owners but thats not Netflix' call...
Old Nov 8th 2016, 2:08 am
Welly bound

Yes, now that you say it I'm probably getting NZ Netflix. It had all the UK stuff, so I haven't actually noticed the difference. If anything I noticed there was a better choice of movies recently!

I don't quite understand why the BBC don't just put up a subscription service for international viewers. I would happily pay $100 per year for legal streaming/downloads. Surely it would be commercially viable. Maybe it contravenes some other agreement the BBC have with cable channels though.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 2:30 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite understand why the BBC don't just put up a subscription service for international viewers.
Because like most existing content providers they have existing deals/contracts/businesses with existing providers across the globe, a mix of terrestrial TV and satellite providers who have licenced content for their geographies and who don't take kindly to a rival having access to the same geography with the same content.

Hence new internet-based services like Netflix are pressured by the content providers who are pressured by the likes of AT&T and Sky to police their geographies (remember the content is only licenced to Netflix based on geography so they can be in breach by allowing open access).

So we end up with access by geography policing proxy/vpn providers...all driven by legacy satellite and TV providers. That is why you see satellite/TV providers merging with internet providers across the globe (and why AT&T want to buy Time Warner. Content owners will be key...
Old Nov 8th 2016, 3:19 am
Welly bound

OK, it sounds a bit of a nightmare! I'll watch what I'm told to, not ask any awkward questions and watch the dystopia unfold...
Old Nov 8th 2016, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

OK, it sounds a bit of a nightmare! I'll watch what I'm told to, not ask any awkward questions and watch the dystopia unfold...
It's all a bit moot in this house; since I so rarely get to touch the remote controls I cant't be arsed to do the research, far less pay for any more channels than we already have. LOL
Old Nov 8th 2016, 5:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
.....since I so rarely get to touch the remote controls

You need a firmer grip.

Just want to be able to catch a bit of UK viewing* and some NH sport for himself. Particularly the rugby.

drama
satire
question time.

We don't actually watch TV that much what with one thing and another but it would be good to be able to cut through quite a lot of dross and ads to be able to enjoy what we do view.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:29 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS

You need a firmer grip.

Just want to be able to catch a bit of UK viewing* and some NH sport for himself. Particularly the rugby.

drama
satire
question time.

We don't actually watch TV that much what with one thing and another but it would be good to be able to cut through quite a lot of dross and ads to be able to enjoy what we do view.
The main reason I do streaming is to avoid the adverts. There is some good tv here but the ad breaks drive me crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.