Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:21 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Jude J
Yeah, she may also have enough sense not to buy a little damp house that looks like a shed. I know there are some around, but its not like there's no other choice.

She may also just be having a laugh, I mean, why would you pay all your savings to emmigrate to a place that you haven't seen?
Couldn't agree more. Of course she was having a laugh, as was I

About this wooden house thing. I was in Sydney a few days ago and was struck with how green it was, so much like Auckland but 5 times the size and with bricks.

Of course many people DO buy "damp houses that look like sheds" and rent them out or do 'em up. And good luck to 'em....sorry that was a bit positive wasn't it.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:30 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 74NZ
Hey TeamEmbo, welcome.

Remember all opinions are subjective and ones man's paradise is another man's hell.

All in all, I figure if it's that awful here, everyone would just return home to the UK. You always hear of guy's who went home and realised that they missed NZ so much, they returned within a short while. Remember all the reasons why you want to leave the UK and don't look back with rose coloured specs when you get here.

Although I do miss the UK sometimes especially Plymouth (Ahh) and my wonderful family, my kid's would kill us if we went back.

Sorry, Jack the lad, maybe this post should be on the positive NZ thread.

</IMG></IMG></IMG>
yeh, away with your positivity! Grrrr....
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:06 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh, its getting way too possitive now

Back on track now.

I didnt like a coffee I bought someplace. But then again I am allergic to Caffine and I never drink the stuff ever cos I hate it and throw up and .........
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:52 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we really were that "stupid"!! Hubby was on his way home from work and heard an ad about the NZ Expo in Manchester. He called me up and said 'do you wanna go to NZ?' - I replied yeah ok, why not. Not much else doing. So we went to the Expo and it opened up a whole world of opportunities.

We live on a tiny up itself Island and there's a whole wonderful world out there so why not go and live on another island elsewhere???

Yes we paid half to the consultant up front - on a money back guarantee if we don't get in agreement. And No we've never been there before, only virtually on the net.

We are looking forward to the challenge and experience ( a positive, sorry).

We just didn't want to get to our rocking chairs, pipe (that's mine) and slippers days and say 'wish we'd have...'

My first post was tongue in cheek. Apologies for any offence.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:56 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

BTW - we didn't hear about an Oz Expo on the radio. Happen they'd have been one we'd now be planning a new life there
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:14 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
BTW - we didn't hear about an Oz Expo on the radio. Happen they'd have been one we'd now be planning a new life there
oooh you don't wanna go there - they don't even have fresh water!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

My first post was tongue in cheek. Apologies for any offence.
I thought your post was great!

We'd never been here before either. Its working out ok for us. Hope it all goes ok for you!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:43 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

What, and drink pooo
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

TeamEmbo - do what we did and don't read these negative posts, I'm only on here because I noticed it had reared it's ugly head again and I wanted to see what was being spouted.
Our experience - me, my husband and 3 kids decided this was for us, yes we did come to NZ for 2 weeks about 15 months ago and spent a couple of nights in most major cities, was that long enough to make life changing decision? Not really - it gave us a "taste" of NZ. We too used a consultant, loads of people will tell you not too - it worked for us.
We arrived on Friday. We were taken in hand on Saturday by Boopy, a poster on this site. We bought a car on Saturday, we have had an offer accepted on a house on Monday (it is neither leaky or damp, we certainly could not have afforded its equivalent in the UK), yes our wages are less but we have (in our limited experience) found the general cost of living to be less. We were telly addicts (to a degree) in the UK - I think the TV has been on for about 3 hours since we got here, we go for walks, have joined the library, started exploring our new home - we don't miss the TV. My kids play out in the street, in the garden, in the park.
We have had dinner tonight with 4 lovely people, enjoyed good conversation and found out more about living in NZ, none of them find NZ bad enough that they want o go back to the UK. I don't think life will be a picnic, but so far it is certainly better than it was in the UK. For us this is about attitude, yes you are a long way from home, no most house don't have central heating, double glazing, sand flies love my husband but not the rest of us and who cares if the sausages are crap - who eats enough of them to care? Make up your own mind and remember if you do read his thread it will only give you the negatives - there are as many positives!
Good luck
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

The worst aspect of life in NZ is that we are going to be over-run with Ozzies looking for water

This evening's news: Sydney will soon be uninhabitable through global warming.
Soaring temps, drought, wild fires and death from heat stroke.
Evacuate! evacuate!

Please..... how can we prevent this invasion by larrikins, cobbers, sheilas and bogans

Kip
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:42 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
Make up your own mind and remember if you do read his thread it will only give you the negatives - there are as many positives!
Good luck
Agreed that why I also started The everythings great in NZ thread .

Post ALL the positives on that thread.

This way everyone get to post both +'s & -'s and the viewer decides what THEY want to take on board

Just seems that most people want to post and read (have you compared the viewing figures) the negatives than post and read the positives
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:20 pm
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Agreed that why I also started The everythings great in NZ thread .

Post ALL the positives on that thread.

This way everyone get to post both +'s & -'s and the viewer decides what THEY want to take on board

Just seems that most people want to post and read (have you compared the viewing figures) the negatives than post and read the positives
Both threads are great!! It's was a fantastic idea and reading all the negatives has actually been a brill reality check. I feel more prepared now and have a balanced view (i hope) so thank you sooo much Jack The Lad, it was a star idea!

We are trying to decide between Christchurch and the Bay of Plenty. Has anyone got anything they could let me know to avoid in either of these places?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:23 pm
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by donnaf
TeamEmbo - do what we did and don't read these negative posts, I'm only on here because I noticed it had reared it's ugly head again and I wanted to see what was being spouted.
Our experience - me, my husband and 3 kids decided this was for us, yes we did come to NZ for 2 weeks about 15 months ago and spent a couple of nights in most major cities, was that long enough to make life changing decision? Not really - it gave us a "taste" of NZ. We too used a consultant, loads of people will tell you not too - it worked for us.
We arrived on Friday. We were taken in hand on Saturday by Boopy, a poster on this site. We bought a car on Saturday, we have had an offer accepted on a house on Monday (it is neither leaky or damp, we certainly could not have afforded its equivalent in the UK), yes our wages are less but we have (in our limited experience) found the general cost of living to be less. We were telly addicts (to a degree) in the UK - I think the TV has been on for about 3 hours since we got here, we go for walks, have joined the library, started exploring our new home - we don't miss the TV. My kids play out in the street, in the garden, in the park.
We have had dinner tonight with 4 lovely people, enjoyed good conversation and found out more about living in NZ, none of them find NZ bad enough that they want o go back to the UK. I don't think life will be a picnic, but so far it is certainly better than it was in the UK. For us this is about attitude, yes you are a long way from home, no most house don't have central heating, double glazing, sand flies love my husband but not the rest of us and who cares if the sausages are crap - who eats enough of them to care? Make up your own mind and remember if you do read his thread it will only give you the negatives - there are as many positives!
Good luck
Thanks, but I do actually feel better today for having read them. It just me a better idea what challenges we face. And thanks for sharing your experience. I hope all is still going well for you and yours.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

tipsy10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Hi Jack The Lad,

What a great question! Of course the answer is always going to be subjective.

When you say Negative, you don't specify negative compared to.....anywhere else.

So he's my view: Coming from the UK
Having spent over 2 years in New Zealand, mainly in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Tauranga and lots of weeks in other places except the south Island (which I fully know is a sin) but my girlfriend did live in Nelson for over a year. I have also spent at least 30 % of my time with Maore/island people too. Have also spent 6 months in California and 6 months in British Columbia, Canada
OK: Most aspects of NZ are equal or superior the to other westernised countries:

Flora & Forna / Groceries

People / Weather

Ecomony / Price Index (costs)

Media / Infrastructure

Transport

Culture / Security

I've double up some catagories as 6 smilies is the max!

pretty good alround, which is why I'm making a permanent move in only 2 weeks 6 days. I like it more than the UK!!

Hope this help,

Cheers, Tipsy
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tipsy10
Hi Jack The Lad,

What a great question! Of course the answer is always going to be subjective.

When you say Negative, you don't specify negative compared to.....anywhere else.

So he's my view: Coming from the UK
Having spent over 2 years in New Zealand, mainly in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Tauranga and lots of weeks in other places except the south Island (which I fully know is a sin) but my girlfriend did live in Nelson for over a year. I have also spent at least 30 % of my time with Maore/island people too. Have also spent 6 months in California and 6 months in British Columbia, Canada
OK: Most aspects of NZ are equal or superior the to other westernised countries:

Flora & Forna / Groceries

People / Weather

Ecomony / Price Index (costs)

Media / Infrastructure

Transport

Culture / Security

I've double up some catagories as 6 smilies is the max!

pretty good alround, which is why I'm making a permanent move in only 2 weeks 6 days. I like it more than the UK!!

Hope this help,

Cheers, Tipsy
Post this on the pos thread!! Some of your smileys have happy faces! This is for negative people saying negative things with no comparison to anywhere else - just Negative Zealand!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.