Reload this Page >

Need for HGV drivers

Need for HGV drivers

Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

josiff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need for HGV drivers

Hi guys,
I'm a former UK Royal Marine looking to find work on a working visa out in NZ.
My trade was that of a driver and has since given me the experience and qualifcations driving all kinds of heavy goods vehicles over all types of terrain.

Is there a need at the moment for HGV drivers in NZ and if so what money would they be expected to make?
I read that foreigners may only drive in NZ for up to a year, could this possibly be extended?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:10 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need for HGV drivers

Originally Posted by josiff
I read that foreigners may only drive in NZ for up to a year, could this possibly be extended?
I think that means one year on a foreign licence then you have to get a NZ one. Brits can usually just swap their UK car drivers licence. Not sure if the same thing applies to a Heavy Truck licence.

Last I heard about four years ago is that there was a shortage of truck drivers, especially long haul. Part of the reason this was is the pay was poor. Around $20 ph. I did hear that one company pays $30 ph and has no trouble getting staff. Might have changed since then.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi guys,
My trade was that of a driver and has since given me the experience and qualifcations driving all kinds of heavy goods vehicles over all types of terrain.

Is there a need at the moment for HGV drivers in NZ and if so what money would they be expected to make?
If you are a qualified HGV driver then your skill and occupation is deemed to be in shortage in the Canterbury region only. This means that an employer wishing to engage you needs to show there is no NZ resident or citizen that could take up that post . The exception for this would be if the employer was NZ Immigration and Dept of Labour 'Accredited'

You would need to obtain a full time job offer and then uplift an essential temporary work visa for the length of the job contract.

Although you may not wish to remain permanently I would suspect that any NZ employer wishing to employ you will likely expect you to uplift an NZ driving class4/5 driving license. Depending on how long you've been at this, it wold be a theory test and maybe a practical.

Heavy truck drivers are not paid that well TBH. However tanker drivers fair better on the wage front.

Please note that this occupation can be a virtually impossible path to residency.

Fonterra is NZIS accredited. Perhaps contact them.
Fulton Hogan may be a possibility.
There are many logging companies that employ HGVs
The Trucking Association may be able to help.

As has been noted many HGV trucking companies feels there is a shortage of drivers and from what I hear on the ground it does seem to be the case.
The industry was used to paying poor wages and relied on overseas drivers here on temporary work visas. New Zealand decided to put a stop to this so removed the occupation from the immediate shortage list making it harder for most companies to employ an overseas HGV driver. So officially there is no shortage except in Canterbury. Unofficially , there is a shortage.

Come back with any questions.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:07 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Not sure if the same thing applies to a Heavy Truck licence.
Don't think it does, AFAIK there are mandatory time-periods as you work your way up the heavy goods licence tree here and I think you have to start at the bottom irrespective of your UK Class...

This might help:

Heavy vehicles | NZ Transport Agency
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

I will need someone to drive from Blenheim to Auckland

Large Sprinter Van not truck

Must like quality beer because that's the cargo