Nationality of children

Nationality of children

Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

superblue32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nationality of children

Hi

my daughter has been in NZ for 2 years and has just had our first grandchild

Her partner is an NZ national, and so my question is what are the nationality options ? My daughter does not yet have residency, and so I'm worried what might happen if our grand-daughter didn't have UK citizenship / passport.

Can anyone shed any light ??

Many Thanks
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Nationality of children

When you say 'National', do you mean NZ resident or citizen.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:43 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

If her partner is a New Zealand resident or citizen then the youngest can be registered as a New Zealand citizen

One party must be a NZ resident or citizen, i'm certain. I've looked into this and if parents are not NZ citizens or residents then the child has no nationality. Quite a good thing if you ask me as it stops many attempting to gain citizenship etc via that way.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

"I'm worried what might happen if our grand-daughter didn't have UK citizenship / passport."

Doesn't this mean the OP is worried about British citizenship not NZ?

If so, check out http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...port/DG_174146 It says: At present, only children born on or after 1 January 1983 can automatically be British solely because of their mother's birth in the UK.

There is a helpline number in the UK to call to ask.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:34 am
Just Joined

neave is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi totally agree with tom1983.the child should be able to get citizenship if one parent is a new zealand resident or citizen.I'm married to a new zealander and our child was born outside nz but he got his nz citizenship amd passport wihout any problem.so i would not worry.xxxx
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I guess I wasn't quite clear what I was asking.

My daughter is British, her partner Kiwi born & bred, so my grand-daughter can be either (or both ??)

My worry is this:

as my daughter doesn't yet have residency for NZ, & if my grand-daughter has a NZ passport would there be any difficulty if they both had to return 'home' to the UK ? Could my grand-daughter stay in the uk on an NZ passport if she is with her British mother ?

apologies if that's as clear as mud
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

She can be both

As one parent is British, she can obtain a British passport and since the other is a Kiwi, she can obtain a Kiwi passport as well
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

yep she is a lucky girl, she can have dual nationality and hold both an NZ and British passport. My kids have both and it is great, opens up all of Europe and Australia as options for them.
Kaz
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:26 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superblue32
Could my grand-daughter stay in the uk on an NZ passport if she is with her British mother ?
There might be issues if she wanted to stay in the UK permanently without the father (or the father's permission). Not sure if you were thinking along those lines.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by babybella
yep she is a lucky girl, she can have dual nationality and hold both an NZ and British passport. My kids have both and it is great, opens up all of Europe and Australia as options for them.
Kaz
Thanks Kaz, that's exciting news
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jmh
There might be issues if she wanted to stay in the UK permanently without the father (or the father's permission). Not sure if you were thinking along those lines.
Thanks JMH. I'n not worried about the father's permission, but as she has the option of both nationalities, I will suggest my daughter arranges that
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jmh
Ah yes An extremely important point.
The OP's daughter should maybe utilise the use of a lawyer to have the Father's permission written in stone.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superblue32
Thanks to everyone for your replies, I guess I wasn't quite clear what I was asking.

My daughter is British, her partner Kiwi born & bred, so my grand-daughter can be either (or both ??)
Child is already a New Zealand citizen. It is not optional.

Child is British if the mother was born in the UK, if not, then not necessarily.

My worry is this:

as my daughter doesn't yet have residency for NZ, & if my grand-daughter has a NZ passport would there be any difficulty if they both had to return 'home' to the UK ? Could my grand-daughter stay in the uk on an NZ passport if she is with her British mother ?
Your daughter needs to get NZ residency, as otherwise she could have a huge problem as she may not be allowed to remove child from NZ without the other parent's permission.

Why does she not have permanent resident status already?