Mushy peas!

Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

beaches is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mushy peas!

:scared: What possesses people to eat those things? They're grim.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:38 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I think they're scrummy yummy. Must be a Yorkshire thing lol
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:44 pm
Banned

Gollywobbler is just really niceGollywobbler is just really niceGollywobbler is just really niceGollywobbler is just really niceGollywobbler is just really niceGollywobbler is just really niceGollywobbler is just really niceGollywobbler is just really niceGollywobbler is just really nice

Originally Posted by SarahB
Horrrible things! (the mushy peas that is!) Dunno how you lot can eat them!!

Me neither.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beaches
Very grim!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:49 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Well I like them cos Im a born and bred Yorkshire lass so there

What food do you lot like then?

Come on .... you must miss something! even if it's only a teeny tiny bit
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:16 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by sky

somethings from france...
- harlequins (little boiled sweets that taste a little like pear drops only nicer)
- saucission montagne
- muscadet

somethings from spain..
- a good robust rioja
- chorizo
- jamon iberico
- tapas

somethings from england..
- adnams bitter
- proper fish and chips
- anything from the m&s food hall (except imported NZ sausages )
- yorkshire puds
- pickerings (norwich sausage maker), spurgeons (norwich butcher), sainsburys "taste the difference" sausages (sorry tesco et al you dont make the grade)

Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:22 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beaches
Actually out of interest, the 'famous adelaide pie floater', sold at the adelaide pie cart is a beef pie turned updside down and it floats in a sea of mushy peas (can be abit too soupy depending on who makes it tho) and topped off with tomato sauce (optional)

They are very popular with tourists to the city, especially after a few
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sky

I'm a Southerner, born and bred, and also can't cope with mushy peas - I miss Little Gem lettuces - only seem to get giant icebergs and those frilly, fancy, tasteless lettuces in Wellington. Also can't get mustard and cress in those green plastic punnets that were designed by someone who had never tried to cut the tops - remember having to juggle them upside down to get them out!

But have to say again, anything else is compensated by great and cheaper seafood - green lipped mussels, oysters, rock lobster - either bought or fished for, cheap avocadoes and asparagus; passionfruit, feijoas and figs that grow in friends back gardens. I've discovered kumara and that pumpkin is not just something that's hollowed out for Halloween masks. Different tastes for a different hemisphere.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:41 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
I'm a Southerner, born and bred, and also can't cope with mushy peas - I miss Little Gem lettuces - only seem to get giant icebergs and those frilly, fancy, tasteless lettuces in Wellington. Also can't get mustard and cress in those green plastic punnets that were designed by someone who had never tried to cut the tops - remember having to juggle them upside down to get them out!

But have to say again, anything else is compensated by great and cheaper seafood - green lipped mussels, oysters, rock lobster - either bought or fished for, cheap avocadoes and asparagus; passionfruit, feijoas and figs that grow in friends back gardens. I've discovered kumara and that pumpkin is not just something that's hollowed out for Halloween masks. Different tastes for a different hemisphere.
Oh yea mustard and cress now you mention it, I wonder if they sell it here?

If you get a packet of seeds you can grow it on moist tissue or cotton wool in a saucer though can't you.

I love pumpkin with a passion, I try to sneak it into everything homecooked made some lovely savoury pumpkin scones the other day and I've also done pumpkin soup and roasted it to serve with Sunday lunches. I used to make pumpkin pie in the uk and that's all I thought you could do with it duh. First time I roasted it I had to ring the husband for him to ask his work mate how to cook it.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:45 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Oh yea mustard and cress now you mention it, I wonder if they sell it here?

If you get a packet of seeds you can grow it on moist tissue or cotton wool in a saucer though can't you.

I love pumpkin with a passion, I try to sneak it into everything homecooked made some lovely savoury pumpkin scones the other day and I've also done pumpkin soup and roasted it to serve with Sunday lunches. I used to make pumpkin pie in the uk and that's all I thought you could do with it duh. First time I roasted it I had to ring the husband for him to ask his work mate how to cook it.
In OZ we get a variety of pumpkin but the one I like most is a sweet one called 'jap pumpkin' It's so delish. Do you get it there? Its smallish and dark green skin
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:47 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwichild
In OZ we get a variety of pumpkin but the one I like most is a sweet one called 'jap pumpkin' It's so delish. Do you get it there? Its smallish and dark green skin
There are an assortment of diff varieties yes but never really remember their names. Some of them are very decorative though as well as delicious tasting and I buy them just to adorn my kitchen
I'll look out for the jap pumpkin now though
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:48 am
sky
Banned

They're mega cheap too but then so is all the fruit and veg if you buy it in season.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:50 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Actually out of interest, the 'famous adelaide pie floater', sold at the adelaide pie cart is a beef pie turned updside down and it floats in a sea of mushy peas (can be abit too soupy depending on who makes it tho) and topped off with tomato sauce (optional)

They are very popular with tourists to the city, especially after a few

Sounds delicious and similar to what I used to get from the take away van outside the local after a few with vinegar or mint sauce splashed over the top ... slurp
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
They're mega cheap too but then so is all the fruit and veg if you buy it in season.
Thats the trick, buy in season! One thing I love being in oz is the range of fresh tropical fruits like mangoes, pineapples etc. Miss decent fejoias tho. Best ones grow in the nth island.
Sometimes for a treat I buy myself fresh dates imported from US. So much more nicer than those dried packet things. They r best for cooking tho ok to eat, they aren't a patch on the fresh ones, but at $15-$20 a kilo a treat is all they can be!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
Sounds delicious and similar to what I used to get from the take away van outside the local after a few with vinegar or mint sauce splashed over the top ... slurp
Oh yeh. The pepper steak pie floater is my personal favourite, real peppery :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.