Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Wellington

Moving to Wellington

Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

frattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving to Wellington

hi
hope someone can help us hubby had a telephone interview today and finds out next week if he has the job.
If he gets the job they want us to be out there mid Aug were totally unprepared and really blind in what we need to do next can anyone help with things that we need to do.
Also has anyone got any advise of prices of furniture out there ours isnt very good was wondering whether just to leave big items and buy new??
we are looking at settling down in upper hutt as we have friends there and my hubby will hopefully be working at the port in welly
hope to here from someone soon
sam x x :curse:this is me pulling my hair out panicking at the mo
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Wellington

Originally Posted by frattonlad
hi
hope someone can help us hubby had a telephone interview today and finds out next week if he has the job.
If he gets the job they want us to be out there mid Aug were totally unprepared and really blind in what we need to do next can anyone help with things that we need to do.
Also has anyone got any advise of prices of furniture out there ours isnt very good was wondering whether just to leave big items and buy new??
we are looking at settling down in upper hutt as we have friends there and my hubby will hopefully be working at the port in welly
Looks like your aiming to get there the same time as us. The only nig stuff we're taking is my new telly, new 2 and 3 seater sofa's and the dining room table and chairs. Everything else we're going to buy out there. We've found places you can rent your white goods and electrical items from until our container turns up. Everything else in the container is just personal belongings
mostly my son's toys. Have you got your paper work done?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

frattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura about

as mentioned b4 we dont really know much about what needs to be done the firm that has interview my hubby has said they will sponser him and sort out visas if he gets the job they have just told us to get the police checks done and we have 2 yrs to do medicals when we get there is there anything else that i should know ??? re the paper work... where abouts are you moving to? have you booked flights yet?? samx

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Looks like your aiming to get there the same time as us. The only nig stuff we're taking is my new telly, new 2 and 3 seater sofa's and the dining room table and chairs. Everything else we're going to buy out there. We've found places you can rent your white goods and electrical items from until our container turns up. Everything else in the container is just personal belongings
mostly my son's toys. Have you got your paper work done?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

as mentioned b4 we dont really know much about what needs to be done the firm that has interview my hubby has said they will sponser him and sort out visas if he gets the job they have just told us to get the police checks done and we have 2 yrs to do medicals when we get there is there anything else that i should know ??? re the paper work... where abouts are you moving to? have you booked flights yet?? samx
If you go through the threads you'll find out exactly what you need, you'll need your medicals before 2 yrs, that's for certain. We haven't booked flights yet, as we're waiting for contracts to be exchanged on our house, or at least wait until we here when that will happen. We're hoping to move into the Porirua area, it's about 30-40 mins drive from the Hutt Valley, but for us more by the sea. We've got our police checks but will get nedicals done in NZ as apparenrtly it is cheaper and as they only last 3 months before you have to get them done again, it's more cost effective for us, as we're coming over without jobs.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

hiya
does anyone one know if applying in this country for a work visa for an accredited company do we need to get medicals done b4 we go
sam

If you go through the threads you'll find out exactly what you need, you'll need your medicals before 2 yrs, that's for certain. We haven't booked flights yet, as we're waiting for contracts to be exchanged on our house, or at least wait until we here when that will happen. We're hoping to move into the Porirua area, it's about 30-40 mins drive from the Hutt Valley, but for us more by the sea. We've got our police checks but will get nedicals done in NZ as apparenrtly it is cheaper and as they only last 3 months before you have to get them done again, it's more cost effective for us, as we're coming over without jobs.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:58 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

hiya
does anyone one know if applying in this country for a work visa for an accredited company do we need to get medicals done b4 we go
sam
We first came to New Zealand on a one-year temporary work permit. No medicals were required. However, when we re-applied for an extension after the first year we had to get the meds and police clearances.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:17 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

hi
Have you had a look at the really useful thread? You may find a lot of what you need to know in there.
As for pulling your hair out - yes, I remember that bit But don't worry, it will all fall into place and you will be sat on the beach in New Zealand by Christmas by the sound of it, with all the stress firmly behind you
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Immigration medicals is part of my job - they are definitely cheaper here than in the UK! Or at least they are in the practice I work at.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

About the furniture : there are lots of Sales in NZ, you will soon pick things up. We arrived like you will, just a few suitcases, there are many Indonesian furniture shops selling cheap exotic furniture too ! You could consider second hand NZ local orangey pine Rimu items. It is a bit cheaper than England, you will always get a discount when haggling. There is no IKEA in NZ (yet, Auckland very soon)
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by donnaf
Immigration medicals is part of my job - they are definitely cheaper here than in the UK! Or at least they are in the practice I work at.
So for the right sort of 'bung' you could see us alright?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Frats and family,giz a bell when you get here,we'll do dinner n stuff!!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Hi, what Visa are you going out under? We are applying under the skilled migrant category, so assume we have to get our medicals done before going to NZ?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

So for the right sort of 'bung' you could see us alright?
......and me, I work with her.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Hi, what Visa are you going out under? We are applying under the skilled migrant category, so assume we have to get our medicals done before going to NZ?
We're going on a tourist visa, and going to find the work when we're out there. Every recruitment agent has said they have lots of jobs that would suit me, but the employers want to see me first. I have 105pts under the skilled migrant category without a job offer, so there's not much chance of being selected. They also won't accept my work experience in and area of absolute skills shortage because i don't have a degree.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boopy
......and me, I work with her.
So that'll be two bottles of ???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.