Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Torbay!!

Moving to Torbay!!

Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

matilda06 has a brilliant futurematilda06 has a brilliant futurematilda06 has a brilliant futurematilda06 has a brilliant futurematilda06 has a brilliant futurematilda06 has a brilliant future
Default Moving to Torbay!!

Hi,

I'm moving to the East coast Bays area in June with my Kiwi husband and 2 children 2yrs and 5 years. We really like the Torbay area and will probably send our daughter to Torbay Primary. Just wanted to know if anyone has children at Torbay school and what they think about it?. Have spoken to the Head teacher and she sounds really nice and the website seems quite impressive.
Also what facilities are there for my 2 yr old are there toddler groups etc as i'm keen to meet new people and get him socializing.
We have found a place to rent in Torbay for the first month while we wait for our furniture to arrive.
Would be great to hear from other brits in the area who have already made the move and what it's like to live there.
We currently live in Hertfordshire, Uk and want to make the move to give our children a better quality of life and spend more time outside!!
would be great to hear from anyone.

Regards

Annette
Old Mar 5th 2011, 4:32 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Torbay!!

Originally Posted by matilda06
Hi,

I'm moving to the East coast Bays area in June with my Kiwi husband and 2 children 2yrs and 5 years. We really like the Torbay area and will probably send our daughter to Torbay Primary. Just wanted to know if anyone has children at Torbay school and what they think about it?. Have spoken to the Head teacher and she sounds really nice and the website seems quite impressive.
Also what facilities are there for my 2 yr old are there toddler groups etc as i'm keen to meet new people and get him socializing.
We have found a place to rent in Torbay for the first month while we wait for our furniture to arrive.
Would be great to hear from other brits in the area who have already made the move and what it's like to live there.
We currently live in Hertfordshire, Uk and want to make the move to give our children a better quality of life and spend more time outside!!
would be great to hear from anyone.

Regards

Annette
Hi & Welcome to BE I've moved your post over to 'introductions', but have a look at the 'meet up's' as well as I'm sure there are BE members in the Torbay area who would be happy to help with your questions.
Good luck with your plans & 'happy homecoming' to your OH
B
Old Mar 5th 2011, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the roughelizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the roughelizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the roughelizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the rough

Hi Annette... That sounds exciting! I have no info for you, as I'm from the Uk as well, but good luck in getting the stuff you need.
I was just wondering if I might be able to ask you a couple of questions. You said your husband's a kiwi - did you guys meet over here? How has he found living in the Uk compared with NZ? How does it work for you both, being from opposite sides of the globe, so to speak? Am interested as met lovely chap in NZ on my travels and we're still in a quandry about what to do. Me, good job here, yet qualifications which allow me to travel but he lives in a remote area so the chance for me to find work slim, no mortgage/commitments; him, reasonable job, house, a little older... we're finding it tought knowing what's best to do!
If you'd rather not go into it, that's cool - was just interested in your circumstances Thanks!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Annette, just wanted to welcome you to our friendly NZ forum. Sorry I can't answer your questions on schools as we don't have any children & we live on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula.

Lots of people who live on the NS who will be along later to help you out I'm sure Happy posting & good luck with your plans
Old Mar 6th 2011, 12:33 am
Just Joined

inNZ Jill is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in NZ and would recommend finding a Playcentre, this is where you can go with your toddler for a minimum termly fee (about $45 so thats $4.50 a week!) you meet other parents (mostly mums) and get a friend base very quickly, they also tell you how it is, where to go, and what to do as they will be local. Our move wouldnt have been as easy without me and the kids having somewhere we felt welcome straight away! I have made so many good friends, they have social evenings too. Just get out there and get chatting! I was invited over for morning tea to someones on the first day! Good luck!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:11 am
Just Joined

matilda06 has a brilliant futurematilda06 has a brilliant futurematilda06 has a brilliant futurematilda06 has a brilliant futurematilda06 has a brilliant futurematilda06 has a brilliant future

Thanks for your reassuring words, yes will definitely try and find a play centre as soon as we arrive. The good thing about having children is that they are your tools for making friends!!!
Thanks again

regards

Annette
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reassuring words, yes will definitely try and find a play centre as soon as we arrive. The good thing about having children is that they are your tools for making friends!!!
Thanks again

regards

Annette
I wondered whether it was you & your sister has confirmed that it is. Your sister is my most favouritest person in NZ(apart from my OH of course). I don't know what I'd do without her.

See you at Mid-winter Christmas
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Hi Matilda

I have friends with children at Torbay primary and they all seem happy with it.

Having just looked in the Torbay newsletter, there is a playgroup on a Tues and Thur from 9.30 till 11.30am at St Mary's church hall and one in the community centre in Torbay. Not sure of time and day of this one though.

HTH
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I wondered whether it was you & your sister has confirmed that it is. Your sister is my most favouritest person in NZ(apart from my OH of course). I don't know what I'd do without her.

See you at Mid-winter Christmas
Hi There,

Karen has told me all about you and says you are fab. Yes my lovely sister is amazing I can't believe I haven't seen her for 4 1/2 yrs and she hasn't met our 2 children Oscar and Matilda ( she was only 8 months when she last saw her). Can't wait to do special sister things together.
Looking forward to the Mid winter party, you all sound mad over there in Gulf Harbour!!!!!
regards

Annette
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Hi There,

Karen has told me all about you and says you are fab. Yes my lovely sister is amazing I can't believe I haven't seen her for 4 1/2 yrs and she hasn't met our 2 children Oscar and Matilda ( she was only 8 months when she last saw her). Can't wait to do special sister things together.
Looking forward to the Mid winter party, you all sound mad over there in Gulf Harbour!!!!!
regards

Annette
Aww...shucks. I know Karen is so looking forward to you getting here. Yes we are all completely bonkers in GH, no wonder you want to live on the North Shore
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

I am here alive and kicking and love it DS goes to Torbay primary and loves it, he is in year 6, The school is very good, we have no problems with the teaching I would say all the shools in Torbay are excellant we now live out of Torbay zone but this does not seem an issue, both the other primaries Glamorgan and long Bay i have nothing but good and the same with the intermediate. any other queries pm me happy to meet up when you arrive or loan you anything you need
Jane
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi jane,

Thanks for that always great to hear positive feed back. Did you son make the transition easily from the uk and is the education similar? I'm sure my daughter will be fine it's always so nerve racking and it's the not knowing that's a bit daunting. Thanks again it really does make all the difference to have some reassurance.

Many thanks

Annette
Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matilda
yes he did he went to a very small village school in the UK with 50 kids to a 500 kid school in Wellington and loved it, here is Torbay he is thriving yr 4 upwards go on camps, which DS loves and also do waterwise all day on Friday in terms 4 & 1 which if they can swim well means they get to sail, how cool is that!
there is also before and after school care which again I the summer use the swimming pool after school so he is definatley gained his water legs here!

Glamorgan school is also rated well and has a swimming pool although I gather there is no out of school care, if you wish to meet up when you arrive pm me
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

That's really sweet of you yes would love to meet up perhaps once we arrive and have got over the jet lag then i shall contact you.
Really great to hear all about Torbay school and I know once we arrive we will be fine and we will soon settle.

Thanks again

Annette
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

no problems Annette, safe journey