Moving Teenagers

Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

kepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant future
Default Moving Teenagers

Hi,

I wonder if I could have the benefit of other peoples experience in moving young teenagers?

I am married to a kiwi and we have always lived in the UK, but hubby is keen to move the kids to NZ to experience growing up over there (he had an idyllic bush-centred childhood that doesn't really happen in the same way anymore) My girls will be 11 and 9 and we would look to moving to Auckland and I have been recommended Westlake girls or Rangitoto college

However, I have heard some terrible stories about moving children that age and how resentful they become about leaving the UK. We do have family and friends over there, but I need to live a minimum of 2 hours away from my mother in law or she'll be in every morning colour co-ordinating my smalls before you can say 'morning tea'.

I'm also not that keen on the big drinking culture that seems to be still quite prevalent up north. All my husbands school friends think that a weekend is not a weekend without drinking an entire box of lion red. (and dont get me started on the amount of red meat eaten)

That does sound like I'm very anti NZ - I'm not, I love it, it is such a beautiful country and I love the temperate climate, suits me to a tea. I also just love all the rainbows you get out there.....my kids would have a ball, but would they resent it as they get older? would it wreck their academic progress? and would they ultimately return to the uk anyway?

any experiences of moving children would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Teenagers

Originally Posted by kepow
Hi,

I wonder if I could have the benefit of other peoples experience in moving young teenagers?

I am married to a kiwi and we have always lived in the UK, but hubby is keen to move the kids to NZ to experience growing up over there (he had an idyllic bush-centred childhood that doesn't really happen in the same way anymore) My girls will be 11 and 9 and we would look to moving to Auckland and I have been recommended Westlake girls or Rangitoto college

However, I have heard some terrible stories about moving children that age and how resentful they become about leaving the UK. We do have family and friends over there, but I need to live a minimum of 2 hours away from my mother in law or she'll be in every morning colour co-ordinating my smalls before you can say 'morning tea'.

I'm also not that keen on the big drinking culture that seems to be still quite prevalent up north. All my husbands school friends think that a weekend is not a weekend without drinking an entire box of lion red. (and dont get me started on the amount of red meat eaten)

That does sound like I'm very anti NZ - I'm not, I love it, it is such a beautiful country and I love the temperate climate, suits me to a tea. I also just love all the rainbows you get out there.....my kids would have a ball, but would they resent it as they get older? would it wreck their academic progress? and would they ultimately return to the uk anyway?

any experiences of moving children would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

We moved here without ever having been before in Nov 06. Our children were 14, 13 and 7. We live in Torbay on the North shore.

We consulted the older kids every step of the way and they were keen to try NZ. Your 11 yr old would go to Intermediate school first which will be a great place to make friends. Northcross Intermediate is great.

Rangitoto has over 3000 pupils. When its time for your daughter to move to college take a look at whats on offer and choose for yourself.

Both my older ones are at Long Bay now.

They all fitted in right away and would never return. Schooling is a lot more laid back here though but teaches the children to be more well rounded.

Good Luck

Carole
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:31 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a few people who went to high school here and returned to the UK at the point of tertiary education (for family reasons, not the education reasons) and not one of them felt disadvantaged by their NZ education.

They went to good public schools. Not cr*ppy ones. I guess that makes a difference wherever you are.

Also, Westlake girls is very very well regarded.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all

as a kiwi who has spent a number of years in the uk i can assure you that both secondary and tertiary education in NZ is on a par with the UK