Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to nz in two weeks for working holiday

Moving to nz in two weeks for working holiday

Old Nov 16th 2012, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

ashhill is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to nz in two weeks for working holiday

We are arriving in christchurch on 5th december. Goona do a one year working holiday in new zealand, everyting was last minute and before you know it we have everyting bookd. Just tryin to find somwer cheap to stay wen we land and then go on the hunt for jobs.
We no very lil bout the area or anyting so we really r just gonna take it as it comes.
so all help and advice would b much appeicated
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:11 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to nz in two weeks for working holiday

welcome to BE Asshhill, I've added you to the arrivals list at the top of the forum.
who are you coming with and what are you hoping to do once here?

I'm sure some of the Christchurch members will be along soon to give you some advice and personal experience
Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:55 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ashhill,

I went on a 7 week trip around the south island last year and will be coming out on a working holiday next year. I spent a lot of time in Christchurch, it's a lovely place. There's loads to do on the south island, you'll be like a kid in a candy shop if you're into outdoor activities - hiking, biking, kayaking, sky diving, glacier walking, swimming with dolphins, whale watching, the list goes on! If you would like any tips on places to see please feel free to ask.

Good luck in NZ, you'll have a blast!
Old Nov 17th 2012, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of jobs are you looking for ? what will be your budget for rent ?

Neil
Old Nov 17th 2012, 6:49 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Check out http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/ which advertises WHV type jobs countrywide.

And some of the bigger hostels such as Base http://stayatbase.com/ can also organise work for you. But they can also have a reputation as "party" hostels, great if you like that sort of thing!

If you want a more laid back hostel experience (and some of best places to stay in NZ) check out the BBH hostel Network. http://www.bbh.co.nz/

Remember that the NZ summer holiday season starts about two week after you arrive and continue right through to the end of January. Anywhere popular will be fully booked! Also campervan hire over this period is really really expensive.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
What kind of jobs are you looking for ? what will be your budget for rent ?

Neil
Job wise i wouldnt be that fussy. I come from a farming background, i have been welding/engineering for last 6 years and have a degree in computers, so basically anyting that pays good will do me lol

not sure what our budget is for rent what is the cost of a typical one bed flat/house in christchuch nothing fancy just for me and my girlfriend?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
welcome to BE Asshhill, I've added you to the arrivals list at the top of the forum.
who are you coming with and what are you hoping to do once here?

I'm sure some of the Christchurch members will be along soon to give you some advice and personal experience
Thanks
im going to new zealand with my girlfiend we are just gonna take a career break and fancy sumthing different. we are from N. Ireland and herd great reports bout nz we are told its like ireland only better wether which sounds good to me!
We plan to work and njoy ourselves for the year. Job wise we aint fussy like.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ashhill
Job wise i wouldnt be that fussy. I come from a farming background, i have been welding/engineering for last 6 years and have a degree in computers, so basically anyting that pays good will do me lol

not sure what our budget is for rent what is the cost of a typical one bed flat/house in christchuch nothing fancy just for me and my girlfriend?
You will probably be looking at around $200 plus and that would be a room in a house with shared facilities, unless you look at some of the eastern suburbs, where it is still possible (just) to get the whole property. Look at trademe.co.nz and it will give you an idea of prices/styles and areas. Personally wouldn't want to live in Aranui.