Reload this Page >

Moving to North Shore

Moving to North Shore

Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

hannah201987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to North Shore

Hi,

My other half and I are moving to New Zealand in July 2011, My other half has been offered a job over there. But I am desparatly trying to find out some information (living) about the north shore and where is good to live. The job is in Stanmore Bay, so places near to there are good. We are also looking to rent a furnished property, does anyone know what the prices are for a rented property are, prob 2 bed.
Also I am currently working in the early years sector in the UK and i'm having troubles trying to find out if my line of work is recognised in NZ.
I'm sure I will think of other things I wish i'd asked. But for now that will have to do.
I hope someone will be able to offer some guidance.

Thank you

Hannah
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to North Shore

Hello & welcome to our friendly wee NZ forum Hannah . There are lots of lovely places to live on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula or maybe you'd prefer Orewa. I have no idea of rental prices as we bought here 4 years ago now. Maybe take a look on Trademe, or try Real estate agents such as Ray White, Bayleys, Barfoot & Thompson & Harcourts.

Just having a quick look in yesterday's "Rodney Times" & there's a 2 bedroom house with garage (no pets & non-smokers) to let for $330/wk. How others compare & what it's like I have no idea.

Sorry, I'm not able to help on the early years stuff but hopefully someone will be along soon who can.

Good luck with your plans
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

hannah201987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats Brill. Thanks for that! So where about's did you move from and too? Are you enjoying it? We are intending to live in NZ for two years and then make a decision on emigrating.

Thanks again for getting back

Hannah
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannah201987
Thats Brill. Thanks for that! So where about's did you move from and too? Are you enjoying it? We are intending to live in NZ for two years and then make a decision on emigrating.

Thanks again for getting back

Hannah
We moved from Burton-on-Trent (though we are both from Lancashire originally) to Auckland CBD in 2005. I hated it & we ended up returning to the UK a few months later. Had to live with my parents for approx 6wks whilst we got sorted out with jobs & a rental. Ended up back in Staffs by coincidence & then decided to give it another go. OH was delighted cos he loves NZ. We returned in Jan 2007 & after about a week in the CBD we moved upto Gulf Harbour.

I don't enjoy city living but I don't like to be isolated either, so here is great for us. We have made some wonderful friends, have a reasonable quality of life. Financially far worse off than we were in the UK but then I haven't worked in the past 2 years.

OH is very happy & having an excellent time, I generally like it but have bouts of homesickness from time-to-time.

Yours sounds like a good plan
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannah201987
Hi,

My other half and I are moving to New Zealand in July 2011, My other half has been offered a job over there. But I am desparatly trying to find out some information (living) about the north shore and where is good to live. The job is in Stanmore Bay, so places near to there are good. We are also looking to rent a furnished property, does anyone know what the prices are for a rented property are, prob 2 bed.
Also I am currently working in the early years sector in the UK and i'm having troubles trying to find out if my line of work is recognised in NZ.
I'm sure I will think of other things I wish i'd asked. But for now that will have to do.
I hope someone will be able to offer some guidance.

Thank you

Hannah
I agree with Anne, maybe Orewa would suit you more. But, if you have no children maybe peninsula living might be ok? I live in Arkles Bay, just a few minutes from Stanmore Bay, and it is lovely here! I live right by the beach too There are some lovely areas on the peninsula to choose from, maybe you could find a short-term place to stay and have a mooch around for areas you may like. I rent too, we're not staying in NZ for too much longer so we won't put our roots in and buy a house, and rentals go pretty (read: extremely) fast here as there is a shortage on rentals.

My house MAY be coming up around the time you're moving over though Watch this space! It's a big 4bed, with private fenced garden, with HRV (heat recovery ventilation I think) and a heat pump (a blessing in winter!), all modern interior, double garage, on a quiet street with great neighbours and the owners are fantastic. Oh and it's just a few minutes walk to Arkles Bay beach on the flat.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:49 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I live in Arkles Bay
Maybe we should ask for an Arkles Bay sub-forum there is probably a genuine need to have a better idea of who is where from a potential neighbours and friends point of view for various geographical areas??? I see Arkles Bay has a following on Facebook (one of the big real estate agents does it I think)

We've just moved into Kestrel Heights, are you staying in Arkles Bay?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Maybe we should ask for an Arkles Bay sub-forum there is probably a genuine need to have a better idea of who is where from a potential neighbours and friends point of view for various geographical areas??? I see Arkles Bay has a following on Facebook (one of the big real estate agents does it I think)

I'm on Ferry Road
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by simonsi

If I told you where I live I'd have to shoot you

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Mar 3rd 2011 at 12:31 am. Reason: Used the wrong where...tut tut