Reload this Page >

Moving to New Zealand

Moving to New Zealand

Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:29 am
Just Joined

julesy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to New Zealand

Hiya everyone,

Im new to the forum, my name is Jules and I am due to qualify as an Adult Nurse very soon. We cannot consider emigrating until 2010 when my son has completed his GCSE's.

Emigrating is something we have been talking about for a couple of years now. However I was under the impression that it would be Oz, not NZ. But OH has announced that he wants to go to NZ!!! Im quite devastated really cos I had my heart set on Oz. NZ is not where I want to be, and im convinced it doesnt have the lifestyle and weather I want.

Can anyone convince me NZ is the place to be?

Is the weather good? Shopping? Jobs? I dont want a laid back lifestyle im only 35! Im not moving round the bloody world to put on carpet slippers and a cardi, and have weather similar to GB!!!!!!!

Jules x
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Zealand

Originally Posted by julesy
Can anyone convince me NZ is the place to be?

Is the weather good? Shopping? Jobs? I dont want a laid back lifestyle im only 35! Im not moving round the bloody world to put on carpet slippers and a cardi, and have weather similar to GB!!!!!!!

Jules x
Probably not, from what you have said

Shopping? How u gonna earn money to buy stuff?
If u like cheap Chines plastic rubbish then there are plenty of shops with that.

Weather is quite similar to UK generally, but if feels colder here cos houses are more "drafty"
Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:55 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Browner_

If u like cheap Chines plastic rubbish then there are plenty of shops with that.

Weather is quite similar to UK generally, but if feels colder here cos houses are more "drafty"
you really know how to cheer people up dont you??

the weather is better than the uk btw..and there are lots of nice shops with nice stuff.. blah blah blah. take no notice and decide for yourself hun
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Browner_

Erm.....get a nursing job lol
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jules,

the only person that can convince you to move to NZ is yourself!

Why don't you visit for a couple of weeks or so & have a good look around? This is what we did...I was totally convinced that NZ was the best place for us, but my hubby wasn't so sure...until we visited, now he's as 'up for it' as me & the kids are!

Good luck with whatever you decide x
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Hiya, we are in the process of saving up now to spend 4 weeks going round NZ in a camper. OH did this 4 years ago with a friend who was looking to move out there at the time, but never did. They didnt get to see all of NZ at that time though. So I will be able to see for myself then, but thats not happening for awhile yet.

Once qualified im hoping to get 6 months in OZ and NZ working holiday to really get a feel for both places
Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Browner_;6865438]Probably not, from what you have said

I concur with the above. I do not think NZ is for you..........if only that you need someone to convince you' its a good place to come. I really think you should only want to come 12k miles because you want to. I loved NZ from the 1st visit..I really WANTED to be here.

Think about where YOU want to be and what you want outta life.

NZ is NOT a place to come (with one or two exceptions that have micro climates) for good weather. Oz is what you need weather wise. Oz and NZ are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo different it beggars belief..in EVERY respect. NZ is seen as the poor cousin. Its horese for courses. We love NZ with a passion warts and all..way from perfect but a graet place tolive from our perspective. Having said that we have had to overcome many problems in the 3.5 years here. No one said life here would be easy..just easier as it turned out!!

Last edited by Genesis; Oct 11th 2008 at 7:08 pm.