Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving a list of animals

Moving a list of animals

Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

susannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant future
Default Moving a list of animals

Hello,

I am another one thats new here and going to start getting everything ready to start the process of emigrating to NZ as soon as I possibly can.

I have a few types of animal that I will need to move, has anyone ever moved any of the following animals

Horse
goat
cat
dog
chinchilla
rabbit
guinea pig

I am not planning to take all straight away, I could never afford it. I am planning to move my dog and 2 cats to start with. But unless I know its possible to move the others I will know to think about alternative arrangments for them all.

I look forward to getting to know you all

Susi
Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Merlot12 will become famous soon enoughMerlot12 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving a list of animals

Originally Posted by susannah
Hello,

I am another one thats new here and going to start getting everything ready to start the process of emigrating to NZ as soon as I possibly can.

I have a few types of animal that I will need to move, has anyone ever moved any of the following animals

Horse
goat
cat
dog
chinchilla
rabbit
guinea pig

I am not planning to take all straight away, I could never afford it. I am planning to move my dog and 2 cats to start with. But unless I know its possible to move the others I will know to think about alternative arrangments for them all.

I look forward to getting to know you all

Susi
I don't have enough knowledge to comment, except to say that NZ is VERY strict on biosecurity. An outbreak of foot and mouth etc would cripple the country, and being an island nation a lot of the exports that are done rely on a disease-free nation (as much as possible).

I would be very surprised if you could do this without export licenses etc, and I would be not be surprised if the cost was exorbitant.

Like I say, I don't know the rules, but a google for MAF (ministry of Ag and Fish) may help.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:30 pm

NZ_BOUND will become famous soon enoughNZ_BOUND will become famous soon enough

Susi[/QUOTE]

Welcome Susi!

We too have been looking to take our pets with us when we do get moving and we have found a website that might be useful (although we don't know how good they are to be truthful):
http://www.petexports.co.uk/

I've already found this forum to be very useful - you get to ask the questions that sometimes the net and books just can't answer.

Here's some karma as well.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

susannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NZ_BOUND
Susi
Welcome Susi!

We too have been looking to take our pets with us when we do get moving and we have found a website that might be useful (although we don't know how good they are to be truthful):
http://www.petexports.co.uk/

I've already found this forum to be very useful - you get to ask the questions that sometimes the net and books just can't answer.

Here's some karma as well. [/QUOTE]

thank you both for your replies. I have looked at the MAF site. I have no worries getting an export license for them all as I know they are all 100% healthy. Its just the fact of flying large animals and the stress they may get during the flight with it being so long. My dog and cats aill be fine as they will be together (and they can sleep through anything).

thanks again for your replies

Susi
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:16 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Susi, search either under my name or under dogs and you should fine all the links/advice that you need. Im not too sure about taking a rabbit though. They are classified as pests in NZ so it may cause a problem to try and import them.