Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

moving house between N and S islands

moving house between N and S islands

Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving house between N and S islands

hmm... just wondering... OH is our principle applicant, and over 50% of the jobs in his field are in auckland... long-term we don't think we want to be in auckland (course, we may change our minds once living there, but i think it's unlikely)

our current plan is to head for the work in auckland then, once 'on the ground' and building networks, find something somewhere we'd rather be.... which is south island (or p'raps Welly, where 20% of the jobs are!!)....

how 'easy' is it to move between islands? horribly expensive and a logistical nightmare, or regularly done?

any thoughts/experiences? (constructive ones preferred!)

cheers!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:23 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future
Default Re: moving house between N and S islands

Originally Posted by Stoof
hmm... just wondering... OH is our principle applicant, and over 50% of the jobs in his field are in auckland... long-term we don't think we want to be in auckland (course, we may change our minds once living there, but i think it's unlikely)

our current plan is to head for the work in auckland then, once 'on the ground' and building networks, find something somewhere we'd rather be.... which is south island (or p'raps Welly, where 20% of the jobs are!!)....

how 'easy' is it to move between islands? horribly expensive and a logistical nightmare, or regularly done?

any thoughts/experiences? (constructive ones preferred!)

cheers!
I reckon it would be do-able. I would start by looking at costs to put a van on the interislander as opposed to having a crate sent. Why don't you just head straight to where you want to be? You're going a long-way anyhow. What you are suggesting is similar to coming to the UK, getting a job in London with an eye to moving to Edinburgh.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jokerman
I reckon it would be do-able. I would start by looking at costs to put a van on the interislander as opposed to having a crate sent. Why don't you just head straight to where you want to be? You're going a long-way anyhow. What you are suggesting is similar to coming to the UK, getting a job in London with an eye to moving to Edinburgh.
yeah... i figure... that's what we'd ideally do and it seems daft to be moving so far only to be hundreds of miles from where we really want to be... OH might fall lucky and land a job where we want to be, BUT it's more likely to be AKL... so then we're thinking do we sit tight here, unhappy in the uk and wanting to be starting our new life in NZ, waiting for the right opportunity to come up, maybe, or do we go for it and see the AKL thing as another step on the way?!

decisions, decisions.... also wondering about OH heading out by himself to try and land the preferred job/location before we follow, but don't fancy that much either.... if only he did something that you could do ANYWHERE! ho hum...

thanks for constructive post tho - appreciate it!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from Auckland To Rangiora, the move itself was quite straight forward. The wife and kids went down by plane and I drove down with the dog!

Two years latter we moved from Rangiora to Brisbane, the cost of this was 30% cheeper than the move from Auckland and was not that much more than the initial move from the UK.................go figure

Be ready for a shock
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I had never lived in the Auckland area before moving here 3yrs ago and had only visited twice. I now think it's a great place to live and would struggle to name anywhere else I'd rather be, especially if I need a "normal" good-paying job. I'd say go with your plan and keep an open mind. But, make sure you find somewhere nice to live that isn't a horrible commute away from work - there are plenty of great places in and around Auckland but if you spend 2hrs a day on the roads it will drive you mad
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

We done it (south to north) in April of this year. Pretty straight forward. The removals came in on the Thursday and Friday, we stayed in a motel on the Friday night then shot straight off on the ferry on Saturday. Spent Saturday night in Rotorua, Sunday night at a friends and then met the removals at our rental on the Monday morning (Greenhithe). Cost was about $3000. They packed, shipped and unloaded. No problems. that was with NZ Vanlines.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz1
We done it (south to north) in April of this year. Pretty straight forward. The removals came in on the Thursday and Friday, we stayed in a motel on the Friday night then shot straight off on the ferry on Saturday. Spent Saturday night in Rotorua, Sunday night at a friends and then met the removals at our rental on the Monday morning (Greenhithe). Cost was about $3000. They packed, shipped and unloaded. No problems. that was with NZ Vanlines.
That sounds pretty straightforward and easy enough.

There are some lovely places to live around the Auckland area, you just never know, you might like it here!! But as others say, check the commuting time. We never knew what to expect, not having enough money to do a reccie beforehand but we are lucky and found somewhere where we love living.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:19 am
Account Closed

thanks all for your useful and constructive comments - much appreciated!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:32 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoof
thanks all for your useful and constructive comments - much appreciated!
We moved from welly to nelson. Put what we could in our car (I moved a month earlier and left my wife to sort everything ) I carreied s**t loads on the ferry and the rest we got transported over. Not too expensive although we did get an added charge because the lorry couldn't handle the tight streets in Wellington......