Reload this Page >

Moving to Dunedin 2012

Moving to Dunedin 2012

Old Jan 1st 2013, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

rohachy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dunedin 2013

hi guys

moving to Dunedin to work in hospital for 6months-1 year.

would like to get to know anyone whose in/been to the city and know the usual about the city...im excited but apprehensive about the move.

in particular i need to get a nice flat rented, car, phone bank account etc..and find out where the expat sports supporters clubs are for the obligatory pub watching of matches?!!

thanks

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Jan 2nd 2013 at 12:26 am.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 8:48 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dunedin 2013

Dunedin in a time machine or will you be arriving in 2013 ? Look up the BE poster BarnsleyMatt he moved from the UK to Dunedin via Auckland last year.

All I know about Dunedin is aka Dunners.

Good luck, all the best for 2013.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Jan 2nd 2013 at 12:27 am.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 10:40 pm
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rohachy
hi guys

would like to get to know anyone whose in/been to the city and know the usual about the city...im excited but apprehensive about the move.

in particular i need to get a nice flat rented, car, phone bank account etc..and find out where the expat sports supporters clubs are for the obligatory pub watching of matches?!!

thanks
Hi Rohachy,
St Clair is very popular for its seafront cafe / bar culture and is a good place to live ( only ten minutes drive to Dunedin hospital ).
All the banks offer a similar service really - I am with Westpac and have found them to be excellent.
You have failed to mention what type of match you like watching in a pub. If its football you will be dissapointed in NZ ....apart from the time difference ( most kick off times are in the middle of the night here ) football or soccer as they annoyingly call it here is not the sport of choice for most Kiwi's. If its a cricket or rugby match you will be ok and one of the best pubs to watch it is the very English pub The Duke of Wellington about 15 minutes walk from the hospital.
Good Luck with your decisions.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Jan 2nd 2013 at 12:27 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 12:26 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys

thanks
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I have changed the header to 2013 - hope that's okay.

Enjoy B.E.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 12:41 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I have changed the header to 2013 - hope that's okay.

Enjoy B.E.
Thus rendering my Dunedin in a time machine quip redundant !
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 12:42 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Thus rendering my Dunedin in a time machine quip redundant !
This is true. Sorry, but saw it as the lesser of two evils.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 1:02 am

Default Re: Moving to Dunedin 2012

C'mon rohacy, get us back on topic please.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

You'll love Dunedin, I'm yet to meet an expat that doesn't adore the place, always plenty going on, loads of great nightlife and 20,000 plus student to keep the place lively.

There's some seriously beautiful places to live, with the amount of beaches and hills you're never that far away from some picture postcard view.

The hospital is very close to town, infact everywhere is close by. The roads are rarely busy so everything is 10 minutes away.

Don't worry yourself, you're gunna bloody live it here. If you need anything at all email me at [email protected] and I'll do what I can, I've got loads of contacts so nothing is too difficult.

When you get here give me a ring on 02102845956 and I'll take you around the good boozers, there's loads of em.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:19 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
When you get here give me a ring on 02102845956 and I'll take you around the good boozers, there's loads of em.
Blimey! You're brave to give out your number on a public forum mate!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Blimey! You're brave to give out your number on a public forum mate!
Why?

What's the worst that could happen? Someone might ring me! Good luck to em, I have a broad Barnsley accent almost everyone struggles with, I think that's why Fonejacker never rung me.

My mobile number is on my website, my LinkedIn, on my Facebook, on seek.co.nz, on trade me and will be on the new company website. I've never got one crank call, I'm gutted.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Why?

What's the worst that could happen?
I'm amazed you're not inundated with junk phone calls and texts if your number is all over the web, would have thought the spambots would have picked it up by now.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:11 am
Just Joined

rohachy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys..I will spend my day off post night researching Dunedin..need to get up to speed with the place..land it's footie that I'm into but being a Liverpool fan not much to sing...need to sort out sky if possible and be friends with the duke of wellington
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys..I will spend my day off post night researching Dunedin..need to get up to speed with the place..land it's footie that I'm into but being a Liverpool fan not much to sing...need to sort out sky if possible and be friends with the duke of wellington
Duke is a boring pub, I never go in it. You'd be better joining or supporting one of the many football clubs with club houses, the one near work is full of huge TV's for watching the games on.

The myth that NZ is 100% rugby is bollocks, there's more football pitches than rugby pitches in Dunners. English football makes the national TV news most days.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:11 am
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Football is a non event in NZ plain and simple and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is talking out of their Oakwell Local football is shite and is normally played either by children aged up to 16 ( by which time they get pushed by their parents into rugby just in case they turn in to homosexuals ) or by very old blokes like former All White Mike McGarry who is now 94 and still one of the best players in Dunedin.
As a Liverpool supporter you will at least get to see them cheat regularly on Sky but if you follow a Championship side ( like me ) you will get on average 35 seconds a week to see your heroes.
I have been in pubs all over Dunedin and if football is ever on the box ( and that is a very rare event ) someone often shouts at the landlord to turn that crap off. Your only hope is to get mysky and record what you can.
NZ is simply not a footballing country at all. They watch more netball than football on TV here. Fact.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:24 am
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Great, I love netball! and hate football

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.