Moving cats to nz

Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Red face Moving cats to nz

Hi we are in the process of trying to move to NZ, I have 3 cats, one of which I knew straight away I could not take with me as he is too emotionally fragile, however the other 2 are devoted to me and my children.
I am hoping for some honest feedback on how people found their cats coped with all the travelling. I am aware of the cost etc and am happy with that but as we get closer I am worrying whether taking them is the right thing. I appreciate lots will say don't bother but it's those that did it I am hoping to hear from.
Many Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving cats to nz

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Hi we are in the process of trying to move to NZ, I have 3 cats, one of which I knew straight away I could not take with me as he is too emotionally fragile, however the other 2 are devoted to me and my children.
I am hoping for some honest feedback on how people found their cats coped with all the travelling. I am aware of the cost etc and am happy with that but as we get closer I am worrying whether taking them is the right thing. I appreciate lots will say don't bother but it's those that did it I am hoping to hear from.
Many Thanks
hi we took our two cats in 07 when we picked them up they were the same as if you moved house looking a bit bewildered and sniffing about but okay we used airpets at heathrow who were very good, they dont feed them but they have plenty of water,
Old Apr 25th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you concretepump, it think airpets is a company i have already looked into, as we are in Devon and possibly going to Wellington they will have longer journeys either end of the flights. i was ok until i took them to the vets and they moaned the whole 20min car journey!!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

We brought our two out over 7 years ago. We used a company in Essex that did everything and we timed it so we arrived just ahead of them.We were as pleased to see them, as they were us, when we collected them from Auckland Airport. Our rental, although they said no pets, allowed them. Usually 'no pets' means ..no dogs. They were a part of our family and we couldn't leave them behind. Besides some people offered to have our beautiful Persian but no one wanted our black moggie. They had been brought up together and I wasn't going to part with either of them. Sadly Bumble died last year but Jasper is still going strong. They have loved living here on our acre of land and we are glad that they came with us.
It was an easy process and I can't remember offhand the cost. The only problem we had, was that you have to give an address of someone living in NZ. I suppose incase you don't turn up to collect.We didn't know anyone but managed to come up with someone. through a friend, of someone that had been out here a couple of years. They allowed us to use them as a contact and I'm grateful to them for that. I never did actually meet them.
Good Luck!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All

We are using Airpets to move our persian Oscar over in June. Airpets get really good reviews on this site so they are worth a look at, saying that there are loads of companies. For us it was all about who do we feel comfortable with and offered a service that didn't mean Oscar was being transported all around the country before he had even got on his plane.

It is a worry as to if you are doing the right thing, but Oscar is our family member and so we couldn't leave him behind.

I shall let you know how he gets on

Jo x
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:45 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our two cats over five years ago and they love it here. As soon as they were off the plane and out of the crates they were purring and giving us loves.
They have settled in well - considering they hadn't seen grass before in Leeds and now they have a quarter acre of grass and trees to enjoy.
They have discovered mice and lizards to hunt and generally have a great time. They're not too keen on the dog we got a year later or the SPCA cat, or the baby!!

But they seem happy and healthy here.

We used Golden Arrow.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Our two cats snoozed it back in 2004. We used Airpets.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Wally58 is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought our 2 ragdolls ( both 10yrs ) over last year and used Golden Arrow who boarded them for 17days before they put them on the plane. Benji is really nervous and we did worry about him but he was absolutely fine was really pleased to see us and has settled in well. Jasper likes to chatter a lot and he must have cried all the way to Auckland because when he arrived and tried to meow his little mouth moved but nothing came out alas it didn't last long!! and he chatters just as well now. Its worrying but we knew we couldn't leave them behind and they have helped us settle in. It is costly but worth it. Best of luck with your move
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:13 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

....and here endeth the rose tinted glasses.
One of ours was always a crap traveller. A ten minute drive to the vet used to have him stressed and panting.
He died on the way to the airport in UK.
The girl travelled fine and is fine here, but be aware that it is a big risk you're taking.
They were ten when we left, and had them from when they were small enough to fit within my hand, i.e six weeks. To say that it was upsetting would be an immense understatement.
We used Airpets and the service was excellent.
This has all been mentioned before, and it was a while ago, I'm just raising awareness of risk.

Last edited by hazeandsteve; Apr 26th 2011 at 8:04 am.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That's a really sad thing to have happend Haze and Steve. One of ours is also a very nervous traveller. He still is . A two minute drive to the vet still has him doing that pant and wee thing.
He arrived in 2004 . Is now nearly 13 & still giving me love and also grief.

I'm sorry you lost your cat mate.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:14 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Our Gary cat is extremely nervous and would miaow all the way to the vets (5mins) but we decided that we would try to get her here rather than leave her behind and possibly pine in the UK.

We used Golden Arrow - a 5 hour journey from our London flat - and she was fine in the car on the way up apparently. They put a coat over the carry box so it was dark and she just fell asleep. She boarded with them for 2 weeks before going down to Heathrow, only to get delayed there by 5 days due to the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud.
Golden Arrow picked her up from Heathrow (free of charge) and were going to board her for as long as was needed (again free of charge). The evening they got back to the boarding place they got a call from Heathrow to say Gary was on the first flight the next day!
So back to Heathrow, and onto the plane via Hong Kong. We had wanted to avoid Asian countries due to the heat, but it was all that was offered.

When we went to the airport to pick Gary up, she was asleep in her container. As soon as she heard us she miaowed like mad and wouldn't shut up for the car journey to our house.

She has loved her year in NZ and has come out of her shell a wee bit. Unfortunately, she has just been diagnosed with end stage kidney disease and hasn't got much longer left (maybe a few weeks).

That being said, it was expensive for us to get her here, but IMHO well worth it for her to have an enjoyable year here, rather than goodness knows what if we'd left her behind.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you'll have to consider each animal individually and judge for yourself how well they are likely to travel, based on age and temperament. My cat is a Kiwi cat and no matter how much I love him, I know in my heart if we were to go back to the UK or elsewhere he'd simply have to stay here. He's such a nervous Nora and gets himself in a total state if we have to take him anywhere. We get the full-on hissy fit, wailing, head-butting, kicking and scratching hell out of his carry-box, panting, peeing himself, vomiting and foaming at the mouth on a five minute car ride, so no way would I ever consider putting him through the stress of a 24 hour plane journey and everything else that entails.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you guys, my 2 cats are younger so am now happier that they will cope with it all. They both in their own way found me as an owner and as such i am a real believer that animals choose their owners so, leaving them behind is not an option.
Thanks again also for the recommendations of companies, thats really useful as there are so many out there.
Cheers
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

My friend just brought two cats to Melbourne, including one that is pretty old and has diabetes. She did hum and haw about the older one but went for it, and despite having to go into quarantine, they were both fine.

We just brought our dogs over with Golden Arrow and I could not speak more highly of them. They settled in within a day!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Just what I needed. We are looking at bringing out our dog (not a cat sorry) using Golden Arrow too. The plan was Sydney but now a job is up in Wellington. Our dog is quite nervous and does not like traffic and lots of noise. She is only 2 and a brilliant dog, staffie cross. Have not had chance to look yet but does anyone know if she will have to go into quarantine for 6 weeks like Aus. The quote for Aus all up with quarantine was about £2,500.
Also could anybody give any feed back about Kapati High schools as we have our youngest how is sitting his As levels next month and we leave straight after
Also he has Type 1 diabetes, if anyone could give advice about care, cost ect I would be very grateful.
Sorry if I highjacked your post OP. Hope your cats move well, I know what your feeling is it for us or them that we are taking them.
Good luck
Thanks
Kaz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.