Moving back to NZ

Old Apr 11th 2018, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to NZ

Originally Posted by john_hepburn

So again by the stated 2.75 to 3x GBP to NZD figure, using the average UK net household income of £27,000 you would need a NZ net income of around $156,000 to have an equivalent "average" lifestyle. Which seems a bit extreme IMHO.
I don't know how you went from £27, 000 to $156,000.

Even using 3 X GBP to NZD it works out at $81,000 (27,000 x 3).

Are you converting GBP to NZD then multiplying? I read the initial statement as rather than 1.9(ish) to 1, you would need to work it out as (in this case) 3 to 1.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carcajou
You don't need $156,000 NZD to have an "average" lifestyle. Concur that this is extreme. Many Kiwis would be ecstatic to be on that salary.

As would many in the UK!

It's one of those comparing apples and oranges things and a trap that a lot of people, me included, fall into when thinking about the move.

And while I admit that when you compare the cost of living in NZ against salary it can seem quite intimidating it's a different way of life to the UK and in itself a big part of the reason people go for it.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bobogib
I don't know how you went from £27, 000 to $156,000.

Even using 3 X GBP to NZD it works out at $81,000 (27,000 x 3).

Are you converting GBP to NZD then multiplying? I read the initial statement as rather than 1.9(ish) to 1, you would need to work it out as (in this case) 3 to 1.
Ah there's the problem! Yes I read it as 3 x the income required including conversion as opposed to 3 x GBP number to same number in NZD.

So maybe only get to fill one shelf of the fridge with cucumbers then?
Old Apr 11th 2018, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute

Ah there's the problem! Yes I read it as 3 x the income required including conversion as opposed to 3 x GBP number to same number in NZD.

HAHA, I miss the cucumber chat. Good job I hate the stuff. Won't have to worry about it when we get over.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 8:50 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Surely that's the same thing, 3 x to be comfortable.

Sorry, I used the NZ figure for my example as it's actually quite difficult to compare the raw numbers between UK and NZ. The UK ONS quote average household as net while NZ quote averages in gross.

So again by the stated 2.75 to 3x GBP to NZD figure, using the average UK net household income of £27,000 you would need a NZ net income of around $156,000 to have an equivalent "average" lifestyle. Which seems a bit extreme IMHO.
Read his post again, you are double converting. 3x GBP27k becomes NZ$81k.

He is just applying an excessive exchange rate to come to a rough real-world equivalence. He isn't suggesting 2.75x <then> convert @the exchange rate:

"To be comfortable here go for 2.75 to 3 x GBP to NZD in earnings"

27 x3 = 81

Thats quite close to real world IMHO, as far as these things can be.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus how hard is it...!!
Just multiply your UK salary by 3
That is what you want to be earning in nz

If you earn 30k GBP you want to be looking at 90k nzd, its not Rocket science

Let's hope the dont introduce a basic maths test as part of the application
Old Apr 11th 2018, 9:28 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
If you earn 30k GBP you want to be looking at 90k nzd
Indeed. Exactly. Quite right
Old Apr 12th 2018, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

<snipped>

Fixed FOC.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 12th 2018 at 9:20 pm. Reason: Actually no. Have a read of rule 18. We don't do that here. Thanks
Old Apr 12th 2018, 7:59 pm
It is what it is Member

Fixed FOC.
Oh. Dear.

That was unnecessary.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 9:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

--
It's one of those comparing apples and oranges things and a trap that a lot of people, me included, fall into when thinking about the move.
And while I admit that when you compare the cost of living in NZ against salary it can seem quite intimidating it's a different way of life to the UK and in itself a big part of the reason people go for it. .
When it comes to net income v expenditure it is actually very much about comparing apples to apples and being very strict about that.
That exercise is the most important one to do.

I don't know why some think it is a different way of life here. It really isn't so much so.
You earn. Pay taxes. Need to eat and pay your bills. You hope for enough remaining disposable income to be able to save, think about pensions, perhaps have a holiday and have a rainy day fund.

What is different is less people & the national past-time of the nation all going on holiday together at Xmas/New Year which is quite French in a way.
The look of the place in general and attitudes ref. retail etc is more American to my mind.

Some like to state they spend more time outdoors . For me it has made no difference at all, except I am careful here of the sun & have a rotten reaction to the protected sandflies. We get out the same as we did in the UK.

Some say they spend less time working. I don't know for others . My husband works the same type of trade hours & office/shop workers seem to keep the same hours too. Often it seems to just come down to claims about commute times and road congestion.

I really miss Barnsleymatts gentle humour with this. I loved the ongoing injoke this forum has/had re
Spoiler:
cucumbers and tomatoes.
. I do hope he pops up again as he did sterling effort to get to Nz in the first place. He tried hard to find a place to suit & when that wasn't for him he was open enough to say why and move on.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

It must be difficult to compare your UK salary, where you may have worked for say 10 years with being a newbie in the company, perhaps a new company, even in the UK would like to try you out before putting you on the top rate. What do you think?
Old Apr 13th 2018, 3:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol
It must be difficult to compare your UK salary, where you may have worked for say 10 years with being a newbie in the company, perhaps a new company, even in the UK would like to try you out before putting you on the top rate. What do you think?
Oh yis. Best forget that UK wage once here in NZ. It will be the NZ $$ you are shelling out so make sure you will have enough.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

<snipped>

Fixed FOC.
Happy Days
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:45 am
Just Joined

murphy96 is an unknown quantity at this point

22. Argos...for that authentic standing in a Dole que experience

Seriously, marmite (just declare it on the way through and the customs will smirk and mumble bloody British under their breath...)

If you could get stuff in an Iso container and shipped across I would, the furniture and general lack of choice makes the decent stuff a bit more expensive.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Princess_Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

Movers are in on Monday - Crown were taking the proverbial a bit giving us a quote of £8K for half a container compared to around £2K the rest of the moving companies quoted us. Safe to say we said cheers but no thanks.