Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving from Australia to Hamilton

Moving from Australia to Hamilton

Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Bobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really nice
Default Moving from Australia to Hamilton

Well after 5 lovely years in Australia, we are moving to New Zealand!

My partner has work in Hamilton so we are on the move again. I'm looking for work as a Midwife, as well as organising a container to move the house and an agent to move the dog!! Phew! So much to organise at both ends.

My partner is a Kiwi so he is familiar with NZ life. I'm looking forward to a change but not so sure about the weather. It'll still beat the UK though i'm sure!

I'm applying for Citizenship for myself and my son before we leave Australia as i'm a little confused re. RRV's and my rights when it comes to returning to Australia (as this is the long term plan).

Any advice or offers of meet ups would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Bobbie
Old Aug 7th 2013, 4:08 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Hamilton

Hi Bobbie
Just wanted to say welcome to the NZ forum!
I haven't even visited Hamilton and am not a midwife so cannot help you much on that front.
Obviously if you become an Australian citizen then you'll have no need for a visa.
All the best, hope to see you in here again!
P
Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bobbie,

You've made a very sensible choice. Hamilton might not be the most glamourous of towns, but its a functional town and is far more affordable than the 3 towns/cities that are bigger than it.

In fact I'm very jealous of your choice - getting to move to Chiefs country.There are some very pretty places and towns dotted around Hamilton that you might prefer - but I would avoid Huntly and the north-west approach into the Tron.

The weather is still pretty good, I've been down there the past 2 weekend and it was equally as warm as Auckland.

Do let us/me know how you get on.

Good luck!
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

Hi Bobbie

We've been in Hamilton 4 years and I do love living here. It's not got the best rep, think most people find it too boring. Depends what you want to get out of living in Hamilton! I have a kiwi friend who has lived in various places around NZ, all of the big cities and she was never more happy than in Hamilton and decided to put down roots and buy a house here.
I'l try to help with any questions on Hamilton if you like, and happy to meet once you get here. Met lots of lovely people from this forum and some have become my closest friends

Sarah
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Bobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really niceBobbie is just really nice

Originally Posted by keeny
Hi Bobbie

We've been in Hamilton 4 years and I do love living here. It's not got the best rep, think most people find it too boring. Depends what you want to get out of living in Hamilton! I have a kiwi friend who has lived in various places around NZ, all of the big cities and she was never more happy than in Hamilton and decided to put down roots and buy a house here.
I'l try to help with any questions on Hamilton if you like, and happy to meet once you get here. Met lots of lovely people from this forum and some have become my closest friends

Sarah
Thanks for the replies. And Sarah, I will definitely be keen to meet up once we are organised.
My partner is now back on his home turf and I can't wait to join him!!
Now researching areas that we might like to settle and schools for my son. Wishing I could just click my fingers and have everything done
Old Aug 25th 2013, 9:33 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobbie
Thanks for the replies. And Sarah, I will definitely be keen to meet up once we are organised.
My partner is now back on his home turf and I can't wait to join him!!
Now researching areas that we might like to settle and schools for my son. Wishing I could just click my fingers and have everything done
Hi bobbie

Bet you have lists coming out of your ears! . Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure you'll enjoy Hamilton. There are some interesting out of the way places to visit within an hours drive. You'll need your skates on at the hospital. Maternity is very very busy with loads of acutely ill women and babies. I'm sure you already know it is a large regional hospital so expect lots of transfers from Gisborne, Rotorua etc. My best piece of advice would be to learn pronunciation of maori. You will be in contact with many maori women and their families. Correct pronunciation will endear you to them.
Of course you might decide to work outside the hospital too. All the best with your move.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

oxforddoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bobbie,

I am doctor who migrated from UK to Hamilton a year ago. I have absolutely no regrets at all. It is a lovely laid back city. It has pretty much everything you need. Shopping, restaurants and importantly good schools. I have found it to be tidier than most British cities. I am yet to come across any localities with broken windows or graffiti. The housing is cheaper than other cities too.

It certainly won't be on anyone's tourist itinerary but there are loads of places within easy driving distance to go to. Waikato hospital is one of the largest hospitals in the asia pacific region and I am sure you will find a job here quite easily. It is a tertiary referral centre with all the major specialties including neurology, cardiothoracic and renal services.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can help you with.
Wish you and your family all the best with your move.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Pippab is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bobbie, I moved to Hamilton from the UK, been here for 6 mths now, it's a lovely town, I too work at the Waikatio hospital I radiology. If you fancy meeting up when your settled please message me, good luck with everything. Pip.x
Old Oct 4th 2013, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bobbie
Well after 5 lovely years in Australia, we are moving to New Zealand!

My partner has work in Hamilton so we are on the move again. I'm looking for work as a Midwife, as well as organising a container to move the house and an agent to move the dog!! Phew! So much to organise at both ends.

My partner is a Kiwi so he is familiar with NZ life. I'm looking forward to a change but not so sure about the weather. It'll still beat the UK though i'm sure!

I'm applying for Citizenship for myself and my son before we leave Australia as i'm a little confused re. RRV's and my rights when it comes to returning to Australia (as this is the long term plan).

Any advice or offers of meet ups would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Bobbie
Hi Bobbie

I am moving to Hamilton from Taupo and have two rescue dogs and will be living right next door to a dog friendly park. So if you fancy a walking companion let me know. There are probably a lot worse places to live than Hamilton, I have moved here to be closer to my family, but I hate humidity so know that the summers are going to be hard! Let me know once you had landed! Good luck with the move.