British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving to Auckland .......!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-auckland-417988/)

merryberry Jan 10th 2007 4:47 pm

Moving to Auckland .......!!!!

:) Hi everyone My name is Merryberry and in the summer of this year i may be moving to Auckland after being offered a job there but would love to hear from other peeps who have moved there and what there comments are about the place and any info that might be beneficial to me.

I am in the process of planning a trip in the last two weeks in march this year first and going to be going over on my own. Trying to find out about accomodation and flights................any ideas> I have more or less found a good price for the flight but just want to round it all up by finding out how much it is going to cost for accomodation. What do you suggest...........B & B, hotels or Guest houses.

Thanks everyone and i look forward to your replies.........also what is the weather like around this time?

Merry Berry xxx:)

happynz Jan 10th 2007 6:38 pm

Re: Moving to Auckland .......!!!!

Originally Posted by merryberry (Post 4267390)
...also what is the weather like around this time?

That's not a nice thing to ask. We're kind of tetchy about that now.

merryberry Jan 10th 2007 6:51 pm

Really why?? :D

Maz Jan 10th 2007 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by merryberry (Post 4267837)
Really why?? :D

It's all my fault. :D Not really, but it's been talked to death on this forum. :) If you search "weather" on the forum you'll probably get a few too many hits to read in a day. ;)

mazi Jan 10th 2007 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by merryberry (Post 4267390)
:)also what is the weather like around this time?

Merry Berry xxx:)

:D :D :D

merryberry Jan 10th 2007 6:55 pm

was only trying to be friendly! And it was a genuine question........did not expect a neg response...........no worries :)

mazi Jan 10th 2007 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by merryberry (Post 4267850)
was only trying to be friendly! And it was a genuine question........did not expect a neg response...........no worries :)

Oh no you don't seem like a very merryberry now.

I'll answer sensibly for you:

It's rubbish!

:) (Note smiley-being-friendly-really-face everyone)

mazi Jan 10th 2007 6:58 pm

Is there a tongue-in-cheek smiley?

merryberry Jan 10th 2007 7:01 pm

Ok so forget the question about the weather and re-read the rest of the post and see what you can come up with ......................there now :) Smiles all round........lol

mazi Jan 10th 2007 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by merryberry (Post 4267871)
Ok so forget the question about the weather and re-read the rest of the post and see what you can come up with ......................there now :) Smiles all round........lol

read, read and re-read

Don't have any more answers, sorry :(

Oh that hotel with the swimming pool on the roof is quite nice - might be a bit pricey though

merryberry Jan 10th 2007 7:07 pm

Thaks for being friendly then and hope you are not from NZ cos i think you have just put me right off going

dash1965 Jan 10th 2007 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by merryberry (Post 4267887)
Thaks for being friendly then and hope you are not from NZ cos i think you have just put me right off going

Hi Merryberry,

Seems you arn't getting much help at the moment. We also hope to be moving to Auckland in the summer. We are looking at Gulf Harbour as my job will be in Albany.

We have accomodation while we are there with friends but I can pick up some info or visit some places if you give me a list and I can fit them in.

We go over for a recce trip in Feb so if you would like any information picking up let me know and I'll pick it up for you and post it to you or answer any questions you have when we get back in the middle of Feb.

mazi Jan 10th 2007 7:14 pm

Nah, don't be put off - you need to experience these things for yourself. I only don't have any more answers because I don't live there anymore so I'm not genned up properly at the moment.

But I meant it about the hotel with the swimming pool on the roof - it really is quite nice. And I'll let you into a secret, when we stayed there they were doing a special deal so it was dirt cheap - I mean Travel Lodge type cheap so check it our even if you just stay for one night for the kicks.

Maz Jan 10th 2007 7:29 pm

Don't be put off. :)

We're most likely headed for Welly, so haven't focused that much on Auckland. That said, i think most people here would recommend staying in Singapore for a few days if you can, on the way over. You'll be moving from the UK, right?

Rentals... gosh not sure where to start, but lots of Auckland rentals can be found here.

I started a comparison thread of the three major cities, too, here. And there's a really long thread on the weather, here.

I'm not just giving you links as I'm too lazy to tell you what I know. Far from it. We've not even visited yet, though, and our target is most like the capital instead of the most populous city. :)

Jude J Jan 10th 2007 7:33 pm

Hiya Merryberry, dont let her put you off, she isn't from and doesn't live in NZ, she just likes to pass some time on here trying to wind people up!

So, you are coming in March for a holiday? The weather should be good even though it is the end of the summer. Normally by April I am praying for it to cool down so I can wear jeans again :D
About accomodation, did you want cheap? In the city or slightly outside? My in-laws were just here and they stayed at a lovely hotel in Takapuna, a short distance from the city, and it was very reasonable, a double/twin bedroom for only $125 a night. It will probably be even cheaper in March. I can give you more info on that one if you want.

I have lived outside Auckland for 4 years and I really love it. There is a recent thread called, 'compare the 3 major cities' or something like that which has some info on living in Auckland.

Me and all the other friendly people that actually live here will be happy to help you with any info you need. Dont be too put off by what some people say, come and see for yourself :)

Jude