Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Weather - Naughty or Nice?

NZ Weather - Naughty or Nice?

Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:13 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ Weather - Naughty or Nice?

Come on then all you expat peeps, let's fulfil the Pommy stereotype: What's the truth regarding NZ weather?

From over here in Blighty at all the expo's and shows, the impression is of constant sunshine most of the time, with a bit of grey skies and rain in Winter.

However, from what I've read on here, and the amount that people mention rain/ damp/ wind, it seems that this ain't necessarily so.

So, how does NZ weather compare to UK weather - and how about we use Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch as the main areas for simplicity's sake.

Does it really rain THAT much? I hate rain I do, and am miserable in the UK Autumn and Winter as it goes on so long and is dreary as hell. Spring and summer I love tho'!

For the record, we're going to Christchurch. Look forward to hearing what you've experienced!

Wiz'n'Ton
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:43 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Weather - Naughty or Nice?

Well for the last three years the weather has not been great, today is dull and rain forecast I think for later in the day.
The sun does come out and it's lovely when it does but you have to watch out for the no ozone savage rays and cover up. In Christchurch there's usually a chilly wind pulled along with the hot weather so it never feels that lovely, still, balmy summer day and evenings like you sometimes get in the uk
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:54 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Come on then all you expat peeps, let's fulfil the Pommy stereotype: What's the truth regarding NZ weather?

From over here in Blighty at all the expo's and shows, the impression is of constant sunshine most of the time, with a bit of grey skies and rain in Winter.

However, from what I've read on here, and the amount that people mention rain/ damp/ wind, it seems that this ain't necessarily so.

So, how does NZ weather compare to UK weather - and how about we use Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch as the main areas for simplicity's sake.

Does it really rain THAT much? I hate rain I do, and am miserable in the UK Autumn and Winter as it goes on so long and is dreary as hell. Spring and summer I love tho'!

For the record, we're going to Christchurch. Look forward to hearing what you've experienced!

Wiz'n'Ton

Definetly naughty. It's a maritime climate which means it can be beautiful sunshine one minute, and pissing down the next.

Here in Welly I heard the other day we had had the worst winter in 40 years. It felt like it. Was freezing cold, wet, windy, and miserable. Summer is here! yay! It's raining...
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:56 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sky
Well for the last three years the weather has not been great, today is dull and rain forecast I think for later in the day.
The sun does come out and it's lovely when it does but you have to watch out for the no ozone savage rays and cover up. In Christchurch there's usually a chilly wind pulled along with the hot weather so it never feels that lovely, still, balmy summer day and evenings like you sometimes get in the uk

That's true. You stand in the shade to avoid the sun, cos it feels like a magnifying glass on your skin, and then you start to cool down really quick. Aghhh!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

It's true the weather isn't all sunshine and dry days. It does rain alot and here in Wellington we do have much wind.
The difference is, here in between the rain and wind we do get beautiful blue skies, and when the sun shines it gets hot quite quickly.
We came from the north east of england, where the norm was grey skies period.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton

Wiz'n'Ton
Constant sunshine most of the time?? ha, Can you sue them for lying!!!!
No, its pi*ssed it down last few days, dull and miserable, seen very little sunshine this last few weeks tbh.
Its great when it is summer, but like everyone says, the sun is VERY fierce on your skin.
My kiwi mate (married to a Brit) was most put out when she watched a TV documentary and it showed NZ has actually more rainfall than the UK. Her hubby laughed as he has always said that, but she didn't find it amusing!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Hi Wiz'n'Ton,

You can't get a feel by using Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch to compare. New Zealand has a very varied topography and you get all sorts of micro climates. Bear in mind that Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch don't have the best weather in New Zealand. It makes me laugh a bit when I read some of the replies on here as where we are living you can't say New Zealand has a climate like the UK.

Here's something I put in another thread about a month ago:

[Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
Hi.

I've seen many people say how the weather is generally nicer than in the UK.

For those who've had the chance to compare, please could you specify a few things:

1. Where you're comparing from in the UK
2. Where you are / have been in NZ
3. Any specifics on seasonal changes

Thanks.

Hi,

1. Reading
2. Tauranga
3. It's a lot sunnier here. The winter days aren't as cold and there is more
daylight.

I've been a bit of an anorak and found some figures from the met office. Here's a summary of Oxford (nearest I could find to Reading) and Tauranga.

Averages taken from 1971 - 2000 for Oxford
Averages taken from 1968 - 1998 for Tauranga.

0xford 642mm average rainfall / year, Tauranga 1202mm / year. When it rains here it REALLY rains!!!

Oxford 1537 hours of sunshine / year, Tauranga 2256 / year. There is nearly 50 % MORE sun here!

Oxford has 113 days rain / year, Tauranga 110. When it rains here it REALLY rains!!!

Oxford has 36 frosty days / year, Tauranga 6. We've been here for one winter and that seems about right. However, they have not been frosts as we UK natives know it, we have not had any sub zero nights where I live.

Oxford has an average July maximum temperature of 22.3 C, Tauranga 23.9C in January. Minimum averages for the same months are 12.8 and 16.4 respectively.

Oxford has an average Jan maximum of 7.2 C, Tauranga 14.3 C in July. Minimum averages for the same months are 1.9 and 8 respectively.

It really IS warmer here in winter. I think when people on here are saying it isn't they are being fooled by the lack of insulation in there houses.
In our case we fling the doors and windows open in winter because it's warmer outside than in! Of course I can only speak for this area before the usual suspects jump on me.

On the face of it looks like summers are fairly similar. In reality I think the UK probably has more extremes than Tauranga. I suspect the weather is a bit more 'reliable' here.

One other thing. The sun here is incredibly strong. It's been 23 degrees here today but felt much hotter. I'm normally quite resistant to hot sunshine but I had to take cover today. In July when it's 14-15 degrees it's quite possible to get sun burnt. You don't get sun burnt in the UK in January do you?

Cheers
Mark]

Hope this helps,
Mark
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Going to be 30c in the Gold Coast today....................

Yes I know it's not NZ but I thought you all might like to know just the same!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nice Guy

Yeah, thanks for that. It's about 18 degrees in Wellington and chucking it down
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi Wiz'n'Ton,

You can't get a feel by using Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch to compare. New Zealand has a very varied topography and you get all sorts of micro climates. Mark

True, there are lots of micro climates but they are all wet, windy and cold!

Where is this Nirvana you speak of? Don't say Tauranga!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nice Guy, you just know how to make me feel better dont you?
Thats it, I am off to OZ right now!!!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr................my apologies to all, did not mean to upset anyone

Did I mention the wall to wall sunshine?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sending out some sunshine weather Karma, right here, right now.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sending out some sunshine weather Karma, right here, right now.
Ohhhh Thanks, we certainly need it here at the moment.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
Christchurch has a cycle of weather. First there is an easterly. Cold wind off the sea, often high cloud, average temperature. After that comes the nor wester, hot wind off the canterbury plains, very stifling, in summer this gives us the >30 deg days. Then comes the southerly front. Rain and cold wind, in winter these are the big storms, direct from Antarctica. This cycle can sometimes happen over 3 days, sometimes over a week or more. Every now and again, all in one day!
The weather is therefore very changeable, but if you know where you are in the cycle you can work out what might happen next.
The reason for this is because of the geography - southern alps act as a wind and rain break, the canterbury plains heat up, and the sea breeze.

http://www.nzgeographic.co.nz/articles.php?ID=19

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.