British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving 2NZ, you only see what you want to see. Think long and hard. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-2nz-you-only-see-what-you-want-see-think-long-hard-577352/)

luvwelly Dec 8th 2008 9:05 am

Re: Moving 2NZ, you only see what you want to see. Think long and hard.

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 7047244)

If you want safe speaking statistically….go to Saudi Arabia! :ohmy:

Oh my indeed - political freedom is also important to personal happiness i.m.v.

Ash1 Dec 9th 2008 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ash1 (Post 7047340)
Any chance of you mentioning the areas , as in suburbs, so that other expats may be aware that these areas need to be investigated before moving there? You seem to have been really unlucky.
Sorry about that.
Ash

Guess I`m not going to get an answer?
Confused
Ash

wilki Dec 9th 2008 9:21 pm

Hi ash,
I found christchurch the worst area, but the house getting broken into was in tauranga, The car was out side the garage because the garage was full of stuff in christchurch. Iam sure you could spend alond time without anything happening to you.
Queenstown felt the safest place, along way from other towns, small, lots of out door stuff to do. But not everyones cup of tea.
But after going all that way, trying to make a better life for your kids and then having to look your daughter in the eye, and explain someone came into the house and took our stuff. was a real shame. people going there just have to look at the bigger picture,

jennifer45 Dec 9th 2008 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by wilki (Post 7054985)
Hi ash,
I found christchurch the worst area, but the house getting broken into was in tauranga, The car was out side the garage because the garage was full of stuff in christchurch. Iam sure you could spend alond time without anything happening to you.
Queenstown felt the safest place, along way from other towns, small, lots of out door stuff to do. But not everyones cup of tea.
But after going all that way, trying to make a better life for your kids and then having to look your daughter in the eye, and explain someone came into the house and took our stuff. was a real shame. people going there just have to look at the bigger picture,

The chances of similar crimes happening to the same person in so many different locations over such a relatively short period of time are miniscule!
Yet they did and they happened to you!:blink:
It must be awful for your family.
I think once it has happened you never feel easy again for a long time.
Have you ever been the victim of crime anywhere else?

I was going to say that the common denominator in all of this sorry saga is
you- but maybe you've just been incredibly unlucky.
Regards the Kiwis being unfriendly - do you think they may have picked up on the vibes you were giving off!
It's been 2 years since you left NZ (from what you say)
You first posted on this forum 7th Dec 2008.
Does that mean that even though you hated NZ and its people, you still had to be involved with it and its people?
Wouldn't it be better to put all your energies into your new, happy life with your family, in your new, safe home, surrounded by honest nice caring people, rather than keeping the hurt/wounds open by reminding yourself still
of a horrible period in your life?
Where ever you now live, I hope you have found some measure of peace. If your reason for posting is truly altruistic- I thank you, but don't worry yourself too much. I am sure most of us who are hoping to become PR will have done our homework and realise that just like anywhere else in this world NZ is not 'perfect' but for some of us -it comes a close second.
I sincerely wish you and yours a very happy Xmas and a safe, healthy 2009.
Jennie:)

wilki Dec 10th 2008 12:25 am

hi,
I tried to keep a open mind, thinking it could happen anywhere, the kiwis I made friends with did not like what happened to me, they also had things stolen from cars. I did not let what happen to me make me feel bad towards kiwis, there is good and bad all over the world.
After each event I would pick myself up, I wanted to leave the UK where what school your children go to, makes a difference, where you live, what car you drive,
But I have to say New Zealand was much the same, I wanted to make a new life and new friends, I didnt want to look at houses that where zoned in good school areas, I wanted things to be more equal, everybody on a more level playing field. But you want the best for your kids, dont you. I met english who went there after selling up, and abit of money, who set up for themselves, they said the local people wouldnt except them, because they knew they came with a barrow full of money, brought abig house,ect ect, maybe envy,
New Zealand reminded me a little of America, little towns in the middle of knowhere or citys, shopping malls, ect, or middle towns that sold more tractors than cars.

Ash1 Dec 10th 2008 7:43 am

Originally Posted by wilki (Post 7054985)
Hi ash,

Wilki,

Being a victim of crime is horrible no matter where you are in the world. You were a very unlucky man (sorry maybe woman) I had my golf clubs stollen from the back of my car (this is in NZ) but I was pretty stupid. I left the car out in a parking bay and I had made no attempt to cover them up.They were there for weeks waiting for an opportunist to come along. Mind you this was in a sleepy cul de sac.
It was a good lesson for me as I was becoming more and more relaxed. Leaving doors unlocked, windows open etc But I guess wherever you are in the world you are never going to be 100 percent free from crime. I think that being a victim of as many incidents as you would make me think twice but I do think that you were extremely unlucky.
Ash

4kiwi4 Dec 10th 2008 11:16 am

Gee you've been very unlucky I think. I'm in Nelson area and wouldn't go back to UK without putting up a fight. I love it here and I've never met so many friendly people. Everyone says Hi and stops for a chat and my neighbours are great. We've never had the "them and us" attitude from any of them, even though, yes, we did manage to buy a nice house in amongst them.
I've never been the victim of crime here, come to think of it I haven't in the UK either so I reckon you were just very unlucky. Maybe another area would have been better. I love the "kiwi's" and "poms" I meet, and everyone seems to be pretty happy with their lot.
Good luck in your life, hope it all works out better for you:thumbup:.

NZBee Dec 11th 2008 7:12 am

So sorry you have had such a bad experience....it sucks! I moved to NZ in 2007 and within three months had been burgled twice (see previous threads of mine from last year, I was pretty upset!)....however, the police managed to catch the guy, and he is now doing time (typical NZ story of being a P addict)....touch wood, I have had no problems since, and just unfortunately put it down to wrong time wrong place.
It doesnt take away from the fact that over my 18 months here, i have grown to love it, I have stopped missing the UK so much, and started to make some great friends. I have noticed I have become more laid back, and more adaptable to people.....not being rude, but maybe that is some peoples problems?
As most people have said for ages on this site, NZ is not paradise.....the perfect country with zero crime, 100% freedom etc etc does not exist, and I think people put their rose tinted glasses on before they board the aircraft from the UK. But to me NZ is the better option than the UK, for all its short comings, and my run in with crime, it aint that bad!!! :thumbsup:

wilki Dec 11th 2008 8:09 pm

Despite the crime I did not leave NZ because of it, I left because of work.
I wish all the people who move there the very best.

iwannagonow Dec 11th 2008 8:34 pm

Hi Wikli,

sorry to hear of your bad experiences :(

just out of interest, whereabouts in Tauranga were you?

wilki Dec 11th 2008 8:58 pm

Sorry it was awhile ago, and we only stayed there for a short time so I can not remember, it was a targeted house, and I am sure they would have come back to visit the next tenant. The police did say that there had been alot of break in the area, What we lost was covered by insurance, lived in a small town in the UK, never been broken into, so in NZ when it happened thought what the fck, you find yourself looking at the guy next door, over the street, was it him , you dont know where to look, who to trust, and it has the leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Am Loolah Dec 11th 2008 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by wilki (Post 7060643)
Sorry it was awhile ago, and we only stayed there for a short time so I can not remember, it was a targeted house, and I am sure they would have come back to visit the next tenant. The police did say that there had been alot of break in the area, What we lost was covered by insurance, lived in a small town in the UK, never been broken into, so in NZ when it happened thought what the fck, you find yourself looking at the guy next door, over the street, was it him , you dont know where to look, who to trust, and it has the leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I think it is very important wilki that you try and remember where you were when these crimes happened as there are people both here in NZ and back in the UK now worried about these areas.

I can only help jog your memory with Tauranga as we live within this area, so maybe some prompts might help?

Otomoetei
Pyes Pa
Bethlehem
Greerton
Ohauiti
Pahoia
Papamoa
Mount Maunganui
Harini
Brookfield
Welcome Bay

to name but a few?

wilki Dec 11th 2008 9:17 pm

Everybody is different, but I think it is best to go there if you have family or very close friends who are already there, visit the place first, dont sell up house and home, keep that rented in the uk, if you cant visit do a year there, to get the feel of the place, a short holiday will not be enough. your family and friends will be able to help you with advise who are already there. But even with them already living there, it still might not be for you. The summers can be wet, and the winters very cold, and I mean cold, the wind can drive you crazy, it can go on for days and blow you off your feet. North and south Islands differ. Wellington is called the windy city for a reason.
But then again long sunny days in the summer, it has everything.

wilki Dec 11th 2008 9:26 pm

it was in Papamoa

Am Loolah Dec 11th 2008 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by wilki (Post 7060705)
it was in Papamoa

Ahhh, then you were very unlucky.:(

We moved and have lived in Papamoa for 20 months and NEVER been broken into - thank goodness. Have left doors/windows open, cars open etc - but then with 2 dobermanns you take your chances!!

Infact, out of all the people I have met in the last 20 months I know of none that have been the victims of crime here. Some have lived here for 10 years +?:blink: Not to say it doesn't happen - but man you must have been unlucky?:wub:

I was kinda hoping you'd come back with another suburb that I know has a bad reputation!:sneaky: Two of my neighbours are coppers and that comes from them! But hey - no one can take away the facts of what happened to you here and that was clearly horrendous.

I don't know what street you lived in here in Papamoa, but as an ex-real estate agent I hope you weren't sold in to a dodgy street, as much like anywhere, the street itself can pretty much dictate, what with the deographics of an area fluctuating on a very small radius?

Anyway - as others have said, hope all is well with where you are now and I think from your posts you have shown an emphatic side wishing people well where they are now.:thumbup: