British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving 2NZ, you only see what you want to see. Think long and hard. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-2nz-you-only-see-what-you-want-see-think-long-hard-577352/)

wilki Dec 7th 2008 6:50 pm

Moving 2NZ, you only see what you want to see. Think long and hard.

Dont look at NZ through rose tinted glasses.

I moved to NZ about 5 yrs ago.

1st rental House broken into lap tops digital camera, ect ect gone. police came filled out forms, police said stuff will be in Auckland by now, just seemed to have the view that this was the norm.

2nd house car broken into radio gone

3rd house driver window broken

4th house radio gone again.
same house all the wheels stolen. Postman said I got of lucky the car down the road has nothing left on it, they stripped it.

these houses were in so called good areas, but the bad areas were not far away from the better places.

left NZ after 3 yrs.
Its all very well being out doorsy and seeing some of the best landscape the world has to offer, which I did see, when you worry about all the other issues that effect NZ in everyday life. Most of the brits I met just wanted to find other brits for company, alot of kiwis where racist, over all the asians, plus alot didnt like the brits coming over.
the tourist industry, after 911, and 1 or 2 big movies with hobbits or whatever there called , jumped on the band wagon, seeing tourists hand over money and there your best friend.
Schools zoned for certain housing areas, A good school = 2 or 3 times the average house price, which I bet went to Auction. the list goes on and on.
I wont get into the "DRUG PROBLEM" And child prostitution problems. Gangs. ect ect ect.
For such a under populated country. SHAME.

shirl Dec 7th 2008 7:38 pm

Re: Moving 2NZ, you only see what you want to see. Think long and hard.

Originally Posted by wilki (Post 7046165)

1st rental House broken into lap tops digital camera, ect ect gone. police came filled out forms, police said stuff will be in Auckland by now, just seemed to have the view that this was the norm.

same house all the wheels stolen. Postman said I got of lucky the car down the road has nothing left on it, they stripped it.

these houses were in so called good areas, but the bad areas were not far away from the better places.

left NZ after 3 yrs.
Its all very well being out doorsy and seeing some of the best landscape the world has to offer, which I did see, when you worry about all the other issues that effect NZ in everyday life. Most of the brits I met just wanted to find other brits for company, alot of kiwis where racist, over all the asians, plus alot didnt like the brits coming over.
the tourist industry, after 911, and 1 or 2 big movies with hobbits or whatever there called , jumped on the band wagon, seeing tourists hand over money and there your best friend.
Schools zoned for certain housing areas, A good school = 2 or 3 times the average house price, which I bet went to Auction. the list goes on and on.
I wont get into the "DRUG PROBLEM" And child prostitution problems. Gangs. ect ect ect.
For such a under populated country. SHAME.

Isn't this the same thing you posted in Do you reallly want to come to NZ. Shouldn't it stay in that thread?

Ash1 Dec 7th 2008 7:39 pm

Blimey, where the hell did you live?

wilki Dec 7th 2008 8:13 pm

Tauranga
Christchurch
Queenstown
waiheke Island

NakiMan Dec 7th 2008 8:18 pm

You're entitled to your opinion, mate, but it doesn't tally with my experience at all.

Admittedly I live in a rural area, not an inner city, but I've never felt safer anywhere.

You should try living in West Croydon !!

wilki Dec 7th 2008 8:41 pm

Im glad to hear your happy there, there are people who love the place,

jennifer45 Dec 7th 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by wilki (Post 7046165)

Wow!
Enough to put anyone off!

Sick about burglary- what did landlord do about future security?
We are so so scared of being burgled.
It takes us a good five minutes, before turning in, putting alarms/lights + other deterrents on- and checking all doors.
I don't think it matters what the social economics of an area are. The 'richest' with the most advanced security, suffer the most burglaries- according to Insurance stats. The poorest tend to have neighbour hood 'swapsies'. Same video gets stolen that many times- it's been in every house in the street!;)
There's a lot of opportunist crime in all countries. If you don't hide it, tie it down, lock it away or make it difficult-They'll 'ave it!:mad:
Just out of curiosity- you say these houses were in so called good areas.
Did the thieves break into your garage?

Sorry you had such a rough time- I know it's not perfect- but where is?
My family are there, so for me, I guess I'll accept the bad but concentrate on the good things.
No. 1 . being nearer to them:D:

I am so glad you didn't put Tasman area in the list of places you'd lived.:D

garryhg Dec 7th 2008 10:45 pm

God ..... here we go again!!!!

Someone who had a bad experience in NZ and thought they would let the world know & and advise them of all the bad things NZ has to offer!

I very much doubt everyone thinks NZ is the answer to all their problems and there is no crime, etc. If you think the UK is any better, you better get the "rose coloured glasses" off mate....

I have not experienced any problems with Kiwis, asians, or any other race since being here....maybe it's something to do with the individuals and how they wish to integrate in to another country??

Life is what you make it, where ever you are in the world...

shirl Dec 8th 2008 2:00 am

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 7046742)
God ..... here we go again!!!!

Someone who had a bad experience in NZ and thought they would let the world know & and advise them of all the bad things NZ has to offer!

I very much doubt everyone thinks NZ is the answer to all their problems and there is no crime, etc. If you think the UK is any better, you better get the "rose coloured glasses" off mate....

I have not experienced any problems with Kiwis, asians, or any other race since being here....maybe it's something to do with the individuals and how they wish to integrate in to another country??

Life is what you make it, where ever you are in the world...

Here here - couldn't have put it better myself, but there is as I said already a thread for this and it has been posted twice! Once here and once in "Do you really want to come to NZ" which is where it should have stayed!

Genesis Dec 8th 2008 2:29 am

Originally Posted by NakiMan (Post 7046356)
You're entitled to your opinion, mate, but it doesn't tally with my experience at all.

Admittedly I live in a rural area, not an inner city, but I've never felt safer anywhere.

You should try living in West Croydon !!

Totally agree..try Central Northants. Never been more content..that's NOT negating what happened to you atall. Shite happens everywhere. You do seem to have been very, very unlucky. As for the drugs and gangs NZ has shit loads of problems just like all countries..nought new there.

As for bits seeking brits..never have myself, we have many different friends from different parts of the world. Here in Palmy I personally find the average kiwi bloody lovely..have been blanked by way more brits.

Don't understand why brits wanna come 12k miles to mix with a bunch of people they have just moved 12k miles from!!! Safety in mumbers.

Nothing wrong with brits or mixing with them..but making a bee line for them??

Wooly_Cow Dec 8th 2008 3:19 am

Try this link for the FACTS on crime and recorded crime in both countries.

http://www.unodc.org/pdf/crime/eighthsurvey/8sv.pdf

My take - New Zealand and UK are about the same statistically for most major crime (more drugs crimes in NZ, but fewer homicides - but 10 times the gun crimes).

...and unfortunately folks both countries are disturbingly high by international standards on a per capita basis.

If you want safe speaking statistically….go to Saudi Arabia! :ohmy:

Ash1 Dec 8th 2008 4:06 am

Originally Posted by wilki (Post 7046347)
Tauranga
Christchurch
Queenstown
waiheke Island

Any chance of you mentioning the areas , as in suburbs, so that other expats may be aware that these areas need to be investigated before moving there? You seem to have been really unlucky.
Sorry about that.
Ash

Bellasmum Dec 8th 2008 5:05 am

Originally Posted by wilki (Post 7046347)
Tauranga
Christchurch
Queenstown
waiheke Island

:blink: 3 years and four incidents.

Geez I have lived in NZ for 55 years (Sth Auckland for 35 of those)and have never had one.

I don't know a prostitute, don't take drugs, have a law and a nursing degree, my three sons have a degree each and I am surrounded by Asians (and South Africans who think NZ is very safe).

Think I should buy a lotto ticket.

Seriously though wilki you must be a magnet for crims. Hope you feel much safer wherever you are and that you are in the midst of Brits with no Kiwis in sight.

Link for latest NZ Police crime stats ....

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/statistics/

lapsed kiwi Dec 8th 2008 5:43 am

I think that if I had this experience, by about house No 3 I would be looking for a place with a garage

bourbon-biscuit Dec 8th 2008 6:32 am

3 years in four places would be enough to do me in.