Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

On The Move !!!!!!!!

On The Move !!!!!!!!

Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:32 am
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light
Post On The Move !!!!!!!!

Hey there,
Excuse if this awful but this is my first time (?)
We're on the move back home to NZ and can't wait, it's been sometime since i lived there but the pull of being back home became too much plus i'm hacked with life in the UK. I've been shortlisted for the fire service and we're looking at moving to the Hamilton area/ Waikato. Is this any good nowaday's, there is me and the missus plus our 4 kid's....god we've been busy, not sure yet whether to sell here and bring $350,000 or keep it here and rent to start with. Will we get decent sized place there or are we looking in wrong area. There is a chance albeit slim i may be stationed Auckland so is the commute horrific ?
Any idea's/ suggestions greatfully received...

Nice...

Fireman Al.

Last edited by Fireman Al; Nov 20th 2005 at 12:26 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:49 pm
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: On The Move !!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Hey there,
We're on the move back home to NZ and can't wait, it's been sometime since i lived there but the pull of being back home became too much plus i'm hacked with life in the UK. I've been shortlisted for the fire service and we're looking at moving to the Hamilton area/ Waikato. Is this any good nowaday's, there is me and the missus plus our 4 kid's....god we've been busy, not sure yet whether to sell here and bring $350,000 or keep it here and rent to start with. Will we get decent sized place there or are we looking in wrong area. There is a chance albeit slim i may be stationed Auckland so is the commute horrific ?

Nice...

Fireman Al.
Is no-one gonna reply ?.....is there no advice that can be given ?....there must be, no matter how unimportant it may be, it could save us hassle or a fortune doing the wrong thing !!

Al
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Hey there,

Nice...

Fireman Al.
Hi,
I hope you get teh job offer sorted so you know where you will be living. The cost of living in Auckland is quite higher than Hamilton, so if the salary is teh same you would be better off in Hamilton.

Its tricky on the housng issue, interest rates are high at the moment, so u dont want to have a mortgage if you can aviod it. Selling up in the UK does carry the risk of you not being able to get back on the property ladder if you want to return to the UK. Renting initially in NZ is good to get settled and decide where you want to be living in any case, for 6 months at least. For $350 k you should be able to buy somewhere in Hamilton outright.

Commuting between Hamilton and Auckland ay be do-able but not something too many ppl would like to do.

Good luck, id say because of the COL, Hamilton / Waikato is a better choice at this stage.........
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:43 pm
Who me ?

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Hi,
I hope you get teh job offer sorted so you know where you will be living. The cost of living in Auckland is quite higher than Hamilton, so if the salary is teh same you would be better off in Hamilton.

Its tricky on the housng issue, interest rates are high at the moment, so u dont want to have a mortgage if you can aviod it. Selling up in the UK does carry the risk of you not being able to get back on the property ladder if you want to return to the UK. Renting initially in NZ is good to get settled and decide where you want to be living in any case, for 6 months at least. For $350 k you should be able to buy somewhere in Hamilton outright.

Commuting between Hamilton and Auckland ay be do-able but not something too many ppl would like to do.

Good luck, id say because of the COL, Hamilton / Waikato is a better choice at this stage.........
Thanks for the advice, it's always good to hear other people's views....especially as it's such a major move for us all, it was hard enough to pursuade the Mrs and kid's to move here !!!

Ali