Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle licensing (road tax)

Motorcycle licensing (road tax)

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

mr-marky-mark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motorcycle licensing (road tax)

How come licensing a motorcycle is more expensive than a car in NZ?
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/veh...sing-fees.html
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of
Default Re: Motorcycle licensing (road tax)

Originally Posted by mr-marky-mark
How come licensing a motorcycle is more expensive than a car in NZ?
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/veh...sing-fees.html
I asked the same question and was told it was the compulsory ACC payment. As there are more accidents on motorbikes the ACC element of the insurance is higher!!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Strange - obviously the lower emmisions, reduced congestion, and less road wear doesn't factor much into it!

The under 61cc/above divide also doesn't make much sense being only a $10 difference for a year. Under 61cc can't go that fast or go onto motorways so the risk is surely greatly reduced? This price structure isn't going to discourage people from going onto fast bikes!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:29 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Strange - obviously the lower emmisions, reduced congestion, and less road wear doesn't factor much into it!
You don't seriously think any taxes really have anything to do with the environment do you?

The under 61cc/above divide also doesn't make much sense being only a $10 difference for a year. Under 61cc can't go that fast or go onto motorways so the risk is surely greatly reduced? This price structure isn't going to discourage people from going onto fast bikes!
I suspect most serious accidents involving bikes are caused by car drivers as bikers as a whole tend to be much more aware of other road users.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RobClubley
You don't seriously think any taxes really have anything to do with the environment do you?
Well the 2 classes of road tax for cars in the UK is based on emmissions/engine size, so yes to a small extent, although yes I think we both know who the real winner is there and it isn't the enviroment...

I suspect most serious accidents involving bikes are caused by car drivers as bikers as a whole tend to be much more aware of other road users.
Agreed, so they should pay more
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:04 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, there's a section on www.kiwibiker.co.nz called "biker politics".
It'd be worth your while having a look at the site for info and discussion.
As a biker, you'll have a more realistic discussion there.
Admin, sorry if I've broken a rule, but it's a very valid direction for him to go.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

Yup most (not all!) accidents involving a bike are often the car drivers fault - the ACC levy is higher on bikes ($166 vs $111 ish) mainly as bikes don't have "no-fault" ACC cover - so we have to pay more to cover the greater "incidence" of all accidents. They are debating changing this; which may also mean different ACC levies for small cars than for SUVs for example (as you're more likely to get injured in a small car).

Personally I'm quite happy to pay the extra for a bike; worth every cent to get me out of a cage and to the front of every queue