British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Motorbike Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/motorbike-insurance-658279/)

AngelaandJim Mar 7th 2010 7:29 pm

Motorbike Insurance

Jim is asking what the cost of insurance is like in NZ for his bikes he has 2 a Kawasaki ZX9R & a Yamaha Thunderace.

Thanks in advance ;)

Newfies Mar 7th 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Motorbike Insurance

We have insured a Harley sportster sport 1200cc and a Buell Lightening 1200cc for $51 per month.
This is with Swan insurance via a Harley dealership and you Dont have to have a harley to get the insurance.

Ami and several other insurers was quoting double what Swann wanted.

HTH

AngelaandJim Mar 7th 2010 8:10 pm

Great thanks just did a quick quote it said $39 per month or $426 per yr for one bike do you know if they do multiple policies ?

Bloody boys & their toys lol

Newfies Mar 7th 2010 8:47 pm

Sorry I don't know you could always give them a call. We did all of ours though Harley dealership and were really impressed with how cheap they were. It also gives you breakdown cover also for the bikes, which is an added bonus.

AngelaandJim Mar 7th 2010 8:52 pm

cheers for that have some karma :thumbup:

Jan n Neil Mar 7th 2010 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 8402044)
Great thanks just did a quick quote it said $39 per month or $426 per yr for one bike do you know if they do multiple policies ?

yes, I think some do

Newfies Mar 8th 2010 6:40 am

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 8402119)
cheers for that have some karma :thumbup:

Karma?

Jan n Neil Mar 8th 2010 7:48 am

my B King is 400 bux her gsxr 1000 is 450 i think from memory, u insure the bike here so anybody (over25) can ride it if i drop it it,s a 500 bux exess if a mate drops it it,s a grand

Neil

Quick edit, i,m not sure on the multiple Jan might be wrong i think u have to do per bike

AngelaandJim Mar 8th 2010 9:37 am

Hey thanks for that. It's a new cost for us as they have always been insured on the garage policy. Don't see why he needs 2 bikes bur will not part with either!

AngelaandJim Mar 8th 2010 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Newfies (Post 8403271)
Karma?

It's the wee blue boxes under your name saying how nice you are

Newfies Mar 8th 2010 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8403375)
my B King is 400 bux her gsxr 1000 is 450 i think from memory, u insure the bike here so anybody (over25) can ride it if i drop it it,s a 500 bux exess if a mate drops it it,s a grand

Neil

Quick edit, i,m not sure on the multiple Jan might be wrong i think u have to do per bike

With both Swann and AMI, the excess is what the cc of the bike is. If it is a 400cc then it is $400 excess if it is a 1200cc it is $1200 excess. A hard one to swallow I know. From memory this seems to be the thing with all insurances on motorbikes. Sucks ehh. I am insured to ride the bikes even though I dont have a bike license.

Thanks for the Karma!

AngelaandJim Mar 8th 2010 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Newfies (Post 8405003)
With both Swann and AMI, the excess is what the cc of the bike is. If it is a 400cc then it is $400 excess if it is a 1200cc it is $1200 excess. A hard one to swallow I know. From memory this seems to be the thing with all insurances on motorbikes. Sucks ehh. I am insured to ride the bikes even though I dont have a bike license.

Thanks for the Karma!

:eek::eek::eek::eek: omg a $ a cc

Newfies Mar 9th 2010 12:42 am

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 8405508)
:eek::eek::eek::eek: omg a $ a cc

The trick is NOT to have an accident where you need to pay the excess!

Jan n Neil Mar 9th 2010 2:26 am

Kiwibiker, for the ins AMI are way to expensive on bikes

When i rang up to do ours and told them i had brought our proof of no claims over they just said "we just assume that u have that any way" and gave us full NCB sraight away :thumbsup:

Neil

Newfies Mar 9th 2010 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8405824)
Kiwibiker, for the ins AMI are way to expensive on bikes

When i rang up to do ours and told them i had brought our proof of no claims over they just said "we just assume that u have that any way" and gave us full NCB sraight away :thumbsup:

Neil

Originally Posted by Newfies (Post 8402031)

Ami and several other insurers was quoting double what Swann wanted.

Mmmmm Thought that is what I said here?:)