Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Moriori, different race?

The Moriori, different race?

Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Default The Moriori, different race?

Some seem confused, the Moriori were Maori, they were a
separate Iwi but a separate race they were not.

Now, we have had people reading that the Moriori were
from China etc.

So were is the proof that they were a separate race, the
DNA checks etc.
The main difference is that the Moriori lived by Nunuku’s Law.
But I am open to a wager , does any one have DNA
proof that the Moriori were not Maori?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:34 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice
Default Re: The Moriori, different race?

worky-ticket
Rule 4

Last edited by ned; Nov 18th 2007 at 7:40 am.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tehori
Some seem confused, the Moriori were Maori, they were a
separate Iwi but a separate race they were not.

Now, we have had people reading that the Moriori were
from China etc.

So were is the proof that they were a separate race, the
DNA checks etc.
The main difference is that the Moriori lived by Nunuku’s Law.
But I am open to a wager , does any one have DNA
proof that the Moriori were not Maori?

Is there DNA evidence to prove that they were the same race.........?

Or is it just very convenient for the Maori to now claim that they were in light of the doubt over proving either way....
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH

Or is it just very convenient for the Maori to now claim that they were in light of the doubt over proving either way....

I take it you are suggesting in here that a BE has made that claim, or is that just those darn Maori in general ?

How about being a tad more specific.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by niseysOH

Yes there is proof, still enough Solomons around to do
a DNA check.
But those who push the separate race theory have never
asked for any DNA checks, one wonders why.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:10 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Careful now.
If people disagree about something they might close the thread
Old Nov 20th 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by koogar
Careful now.
Congratulations, lovely girl you have there.
I hope you are enjoying married life.
Good blog, pity you are not in NZ at this point I promised
my lad would help him do a Hendriksen bush change.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 4:27 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tehori
Some seem confused...
That will be me then - and this is what confuses me. Does your username come from a Billy T James or Bro-town skit? And am I allowed to call you that or am I correct in thinking it is still a racist term, that like the N word in the US only the oppressed can call themselves?????

I must say it has been a bit bemusing to see some posters addressing you by name...maybe ignorance is bliss.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koogar
Careful now.
Depends how they disagree. Nothing wrong with a good debate as long as it stays polite
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:28 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Around the 12c and intrepid sailor named Whatonga was swept away by a gale as he took part in an ocean canoe race. He eventually beached in the Bay of Plenty where he was welcomed by the people already living there. Whatonga settled and married in this area and was eventually joined by his grandfather, Toi, who had been searching the seas for his lost grandson. Some would say that this was the beginning of the Polynesian colonisation of Aotearoa. Toi and Whatonga's descendents lived happily with the people who had preceded them to the land by some two hundred years, during which time more of their polynesian people continued to arrive and take up residence.
It was from the existing population, who have become known as the Moriori, and from the new Polynesian arrivals that the Maori people are said to have emerged. As the new people grew in strength and numbers there developed tensions and then wars with the Moriori, who were forced to take refuge in the interior of the Bay of Plenty....
The above an exert from Maori - A Visitor's Guide
So I understood from that then that they all originated from Polynesia, some earlier, some later, but essentially all the Moriori and Maori all being the same race of people?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

brandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant future

if they do DNA checks you will probably find we are all from the Human race.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 2:38 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depends how they disagree. Nothing wrong with a good debate as long as it stays polite
I disagree

In the nicest possible way of course
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southerner
That will be me then - and this is what confuses me. Does your username come from a Billy T James or Bro-town skit? And am I allowed to call you that or am I correct in thinking it is still a racist term, that like the N word in the US only the oppressed can call themselves?????

I must say it has been a bit bemusing to see some posters addressing you by name...maybe ignorance is bliss.
I find some are rather precious about names etc, normally they are pakeha wearing an enormous carving
around their necks.
Te Hori, is of course the hori, but Hori was used for the name George for years.

I would dislike us to go to the American idea of
African-American etc etc etc.
The way we intermarry the term Heize 57s would be
better.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

The above an exert from Maori - A Visitor's Guide
So I understood from that then that they all originated from Polynesia, some earlier, some later, but essentially all the Moriori and Maori all being the same race of people?[/QUOTE]

Going back further, it seems Polynesians were natives of
Taiwan, there was a TV program on it, but the people did
look the same as Polynesians.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

that must have been why all the peaceful, egalitarian Moriori , men, women and children were slaughtered, then , i suppose ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.