Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

More pound for your buck!

More pound for your buck!

Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

drhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More pound for your buck!

I just had a look at the exchange rate between the pound and the dollar.

Back in March, each pound bought $2.10 - a rubbish exchange rate for those moving to the UK but great if you're visiting America.

Today, the pound has slipped below the 1.50 mark, so anyone moving to the UK is going to make money.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future
Default Re: More pound for your buck!

Sadly for those of us in Australia ,the Aussie dollar is in even faster free fall than Sterling !

Particularly for those of us who are heading home & trying to turn our dollars into GBP.

Last edited by miss piggy; Nov 12th 2008 at 6:58 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

At the moment I am not looking at the GBP/AUD rate, it only upsets me and spoils my day... probably better not to torture ourselves til nearer the time we actually go.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

thats my husbands sentiments exactly.house prices,dollar exchange rate,cars,etc dont keep checking as i just end up getting distressed also whats happening with housing market here.just concentrate on selling house then sort things out after that.once house is sold who gives a f about everthing we will be going HOME TO SCOTLAND after 17 years
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Yay me too (Scotland)

Could always bank the money from the house here in Aus for a few months and rent over there for a while.

Straight after I made the decision I was wearing myself out looking at jobs/houses/cars on the internet as well as the exchange rate, it's good to research but at some point you have to stop or you will be demenented with it.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drhewitt

Back in March, each pound bought $2.10 - a rubbish exchange rate for those moving to the UK but great if you're visiting America.

Today, the pound has slipped below the 1.50 mark, so anyone moving to the UK is going to make money.
we are in the process of moving within the UK and it's great news for us
Old Nov 14th 2008, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

actually will be the 1st time i have lived in scotland since we married 31 years ago,easier for me to get job at that point in yorkshire as i am a nurse.moving to morayshire to be near my sisters.will be retiring as well i think unless a fantastic job presents itself.!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

I think (conspiracy theory) that they intend to bring the Pound on a par with the Euro to make trade easier. However, if you read this article, there are suggestions by the opposition (Conservatives) that the Pound may even collapse (and property):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7731163.stm

Last edited by johnh009; Nov 16th 2008 at 1:51 am.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

we got a crap exchange rate coming so need to hold on, but fingers crossed it's moving in the right direction for us. phoned a broker yesterday and he said in a month it will be around $2.05 ish to the pound. but anything can happen so just got to hold on
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1
we got a crap exchange rate coming so need to hold on, but fingers crossed it's moving in the right direction for us. phoned a broker yesterday and he said in a month it will be around $2.05 ish to the pound. but anything can happen so just got to hold on
Sorry, your broker said 1.00 GBP = $2.05 USD or $2.05 AUS?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

I used to trade the currencies and especially the US/GBP... the pound has been totally overpriced for some time ... and it looks like the trend is headed lower great as I hope to go back to England for a visit in the summer which, means we can do more with our bucks!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:00 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1
That would suit us just fine and dandy thank you!

OH applying for spouse visa in 2 weeks time. If it goes that low we will shift the whole damn lot we have over to my UK account immediately
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:26 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i've been following it and it's excellent news for moi
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:39 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Yay me too (Scotland)

Could always bank the money from the house here in Aus for a few months and rent over there for a while.

Straight after I made the decision I was wearing myself out looking at jobs/houses/cars on the internet as well as the exchange rate, it's good to research but at some point you have to stop or you will be demenented with it.
God - you are so right.
I reached that point a few weeks ago and have had to pull myself away from the laptop and stop myself doing any more searches!
A job I thought I had in the bag now has to be advertised so as well as being hacked off with that, I'm taking some much needed "time out" from any more searching.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
God - you are so right.
I reached that point a few weeks ago and have had to pull myself away from the laptop and stop myself doing any more searches!
A job I thought I had in the bag now has to be advertised so as well as being hacked off with that, I'm taking some much needed "time out" from any more searching.
I was getting a sore neck from being hunched over the computer day and night and was struggling to sleep at night, so ration it now.

Haven't applied for any jobs yet, but getting my resume ready - sent it to a friend in recruitment for editing, there is no way I can get it down to 2 pages which is what it said to do on monster.com