Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mongrel Mob (NZ) vs Chavvies (UK)

Mongrel Mob (NZ) vs Chavvies (UK)

Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:49 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mongrel Mob (NZ) vs Chavvies (UK)

Last night we saw a program on the Gangland Culture of NZ....they focused on the Mongrel Mob ...very scary.

Are they a problem where YOU live?

Made our Chav culture look a bit tame!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:49 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mongrel Mob (NZ) vs Chavvies (UK)

Paul

Never seen one Mongrel Mob member where we lived in the Bay of Plenty.... they are about of course
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Only seen a few members in A&E Departments. Pretty courteous in comparison to chavs but much scarier - big men with big tatoos. Where I live (Havelock North) you could count the Maori on one hand, though they are 20% in Hawkes Bay and very nice the majority of them.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

Hi

I saw that programme, absolutely shocking. The Mongrel Mob they featured were mainly in Napier, Hastings and the area of Wairoa. There was fights, violence and murder featured. I was gobsmacked.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:47 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scottish
Paul

Never seen one Mongrel Mob member where we lived in the Bay of Plenty.... they are about of course
Thanks reassuring, considering we were hoping to settle near or in Bay of Plenty when we move over in 2007, any good letting agents or property agents contacts welcome, Pam and Paul
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:49 pm
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by Sally
Hi

I saw that programme, absolutely shocking. The Mongrel Mob they featured were mainly in Napier, Hastings and the area of Wairoa. There was fights, violence and murder featured. I was gobsmacked.
Interesting to see the age of the gang members, looked like they should be at home doing the gardening -in UK it seems to be much more prevalent in younger society, although there are a few unsavoury pompey fans who badly need to grow up and get a life!!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:49 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Thanks reassuring, considering we were hoping to settle near or in Bay of Plenty when we move over in 2007, any good letting agents or property agents contacts welcome, Pam and Paul

Pam/Paul

Try www.eves.co.nz... very helpful and appear to have the majority of the rental/purchasing market.

We lived in Papamoa and can highly recommend it.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Last night we saw a program on the Gangland Culture of NZ....they focused on the Mongrel Mob ...very scary.

Paul,
We had a mob house just around the corner from us in Petone (which is now a very trendy area, wish I hadn't sold that house). They never called us any problems, my son when aged 5 skipped up to some outside the post office and told them it was his birthday, they just shook his hand and wished him happy birthday.
KAZ
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks,

Well I don't know about this mongrel mob. They sound like they might be a Biker Gang? When I lived in Oz their was a biker gang in SA called the 'Iroquoi'
and they were associated with the Hells Angels. They were a pretty scary bunch back in the 70s. I imagine they are all old guys now although their culture would necessarily make them Hardnuts. I know some Hells Angels over here in UK. Some years ago I installed a central heating system in the Leader of the Windsor Chapter's house. I got well paid, well treated and felt very safe. (It could've been a different story had it been a shoddy job though!!! :scared: ). The Windsor Chapter, by the way, are the most notorious in UK. Most of the motor cycle gangs are mature now and the members have families of their own. They still put on some top festivals so I hear. Are these Mongrel Mob guys affiliated with the Hells Angels in any way?
The Hells Angels is an international organisation with clubs and affiliates over the globe. Most of these gangs seem to keep themselves to themselves and only make themselves a problem to those that cross them.

They are still incredibly scary looking though and seeing them coming towards you still makes for a powerful laxative.

Regards
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:10 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sega Mad

They are still incredibly scary looking though and seeing them coming towards you still makes for a powerful laxative.

Regards
Isnt this just the reaction they hope to get?? I know what you mean & I dont like them much myself but usually try to ignore them so they cant intimidate me....truth is if one of them approached me I think Id pee my pants
Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:25 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
truth is if one of them approached me I think Id pee my pants
LMAO......That'd be two of us then Cindy....!!! :scared:
Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:44 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
LMAO......That'd be two of us then Cindy....!!! :scared:
Make that three.....I saw the programme too. I think they came over as only fighting other gangs tho' and don't bother the gen public, unless someone starts on them....not me that's for sure!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

I have never see or met any - and we live in the heart of maoridom (Rotorua) - well one of them. In fact I have never had any problems at all. There are lots of agents and and letting companies, but robably best to wait till you get to where you want to go so you can get a feel for the areas you would prefer to live in. We lived in a motel for a few weeks whilst we 'sussed' the areas out, and was well worth it too. Good luck - you won't go wrong with the BOP - its beautiful.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:05 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

I think that it's difficult to make comparisons between the Chavs and the Mongrel Mob, chavdom isn't so much a gang culture as a youth cult, like punks or goths or mods. Being a chav is more about lifestyle, embodied in clothes and music preferences (and probably dog breeds and fag brands). Chav culture is epitomised by a look rather than behavioural codes. Admittedly some of them are nasty little scrotes but not all of them. Someone mentioned the Hell's Angels earlier and I would say from what I've read on the net about the MM that comparisons to this group are more appropriate. I have never in all my life had an encounter with the Hell's Angels and I'm sure that many native NZers have never had one with the MM, but the media does like to create a moral panic about stuff. That's their job What I like to call the Daily Mail school of reporting.

Phyl
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:07 am
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
I have never see or met any - and we live in the heart of maoridom (Rotorua) - well one of them. In fact I have never had any problems at all. There are lots of agents and and letting companies, but robably best to wait till you get to where you want to go so you can get a feel for the areas you would prefer to live in. We lived in a motel for a few weeks whilst we 'sussed' the areas out, and was well worth it too. Good luck - you won't go wrong with the BOP - its beautiful.
Thanks for reply,v helpful. We are in a quandry at present as uk returners have told us that cost of living in NZ is almost the same as UK and you cant afford to live there, surely this isnt the case is it? We are both in our forties and professional people and are hoping to come over with our 2 sons and work until the mortgage is gone, not long thankfully, any advice would be really great, Pam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.