Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mom sponsorship...

Mom sponsorship...

Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:37 am
Just Joined

janilane has a spectacular aura aboutjanilane has a spectacular aura aboutjanilane has a spectacular aura about
Default Mom sponsorship...

Hello,

Can the rules in NZ immigration about sponsoring a parent have exceptions? I plan to sponsor my mom to live with us here in Auckland, but the thing is, I have 3 adult siblings back in my home country. Can I make some justification that all of my siblings have already a life and family of their own? My mom has been living with me for the past 14 years eversince I got my first job in my home country. Please help.

Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:56 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mom sponsorship...

Have you been a permanent resident in NZ for 3 years? There was a thread on this recently and I think the posts said you had to be resident for 3 years before you can sponsor family and the centre of gravity thing probably means that you won't be able to. I don't think you'd get far stating her other children have families and lives of their own, afterall, don't most of us who are grown up? Is mum able to work? (There doesn't seem to be an upper age limit here but I might be wrong on that) she might be able to get some kind of work visa in her own right? If not it might just be visiting, 9 months out of every 18months (does anyone know if the proposal to shorten that to 3 months has happened?)

Maybe someone will be along soon who knows infinately more about this than I do. I hope you manage to get something worked out though.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:27 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I don't think you'd get far stating her other children have families and lives of their own, afterall, don't most of us who are grown up?
Hiya janilane

I haven't been through that process but have been reading up about some stuff on the NZ Residence Review Board.

www.residencereviewboard.govt.nz

It looks like most, if not all the cases from the Review Board's website for Parent sponsorship were declined in appeal due to the centre of gravity issue (most kids living in the same country as the parents they wish to sponsor)

Hope you can find some way to have your mom with you,

Jen
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:15 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

May be worth your while speaking to an immigration consultant on this one.

I've sent you a PM with more details
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:08 am
Just Joined

janilane has a spectacular aura aboutjanilane has a spectacular aura aboutjanilane has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to you all, for your help and advise.
Sarah, got your private message, will try that if all else fails.
Still hoping that I could somehow make my mom a resident, will ask around how to go about making an appeal regarding my case.

Need all your advises if you have some more ideas I can try. Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:18 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent an e-mail to a not-too-frequent poster on this forum who has PR and who has sponsored / is going to sponsor his mum. Hopefully he'll post here.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:58 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

And someone else who used to post here asked me to add this. I have zero clue if it's right or not, no experience in these matters, sorry.

the answer to sponsoring their mum question when majority of family in the UK is NO. Only exception would need to be granted by a MP lobby but unlikely with an election coming up and not being a registered voter in NZ.