Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone - buy in uk, hong kong airport or nz?

Mobile phone - buy in uk, hong kong airport or nz?

Old Sep 30th 2012, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

LittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really nice
Default Mobile phone - buy in uk, hong kong airport or nz?

Hi Everyone,

Both of our phones are on their last legs and we are wondering if we should buy new ones in UK or wait to see if we can't get them cheaper in Hong Kong or get more for our money there. Or wait until we are in NZ - which I think at the mo doesn't look the best option as we have looked on net andwe can get better phones in UK for the money.

We are prob going to go Pay as you go rather than contact, though we could end up going for a contract depending on cost - we're used to having unlimited texts and 600 free mins a month any network for about £20...so poss go for one of the contracts with unlimited texts and less mins eventually!

If anyone can give any info from their experience on buying phones in HK versus UK versus NZ... That would be great!
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile phone - buy in uk, hong kong airport or nz?

Hong Kong is generally one of the cheapest places to buy mobile phones.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

LittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really nice

Originally Posted by sr71
Hong Kong is generally one of the cheapest places to buy mobile phones.
Hi, thanks. Does that include in airport and was sure in prices may be higher with it being an airport? Don't have time to actually go outside airport as may miss connecting flight.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

They still may be cheaper UL/NZ, but unfortunately the airports in Asia are more expensive than outside the airports, plus no haggling.

Certainly true for Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong.

Hong Kong does have an extremely efficient airport train though if you know your destination.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not 100% sure about this but maybe someone can shed more light on it.
I'm not sure if you got a phone overseas whether it would accept a telecom sim,
I know some phones wont so might be worth considering.

If it was me I'd buy in the uk and get it unlocked there before you leave.
I can only sit and cry when I see the cost of uk phone contracts and what you get for so little money
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
I'm not 100% sure about this but maybe someone can shed more light on it.
I'm not sure if you got a phone overseas whether it would accept a telecom sim,
I know some phones wont so might be worth considering.

If it was me I'd buy in the uk and get it unlocked there before you leave.
I can only sit and cry when I see the cost of uk phone contracts and what you get for so little money

Yes good point about whether they accept the sim. We were planning on getting one unlocked if bought in uk...just been looking at 2 degrees and they seem reasonable pay monthly plans ESP if you do a 12 or 24 month contract with the discount you get...?
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sr71
They still may be cheaper UL/NZ, but unfortunately the airports in Asia are more expensive than outside the airports, plus no haggling.

Certainly true for Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong.

Hong Kong does have an extremely efficient airport train though if you know your destination.
Unfortunately we wouldn't know our destination as with NZ it'll be our first time
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:19 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

If you go onto contract you have to factor in the international call costs as you will no longer be using the phone in the UK where the contract would be initially set up for. Mind you it could pay to break the contract and just pay it off in a lump sum and keep the phone and get a sim card out here.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
If you go onto contract you have to factor in the international call costs as you will no longer be using the phone in the UK where the contract would be initially set up for. Mind you it could pay to break the contract and just pay it off in a lump sum and keep the phone and get a sim card out here.

Yes, we'd just buy a phone in uk pay as you go, and then get it unlocked and pick up contract or sim in NZ. Phones seem very expensive in NZ!
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:31 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

ahh sorry previous post you said you were looking at contract. Lots of things can be quite expensive here especially if you are not used to saying "not paying that for it I'll give you **** for it" with a bit of flirty talk and negotiate to a mutually agreed good price.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

The other option is to order online :

http://www.mobicity.com.au
Old Sep 30th 2012, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

ahh sorry previous post you said you were looking at contract. Lots of things can be quite expensive here especially if you are not used to saying "not paying that for it I'll give you **** for it" with a bit of flirty talk and negotiate to a mutually agreed good price.
Really, is that in any shop or when you purchasing services only?
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:03 pm

I have always bartered in places that sell things like computer equipment, phones, furniture. kitchen ware, flooring etc. Make it a fun experience for yourself and the sales person and you will be surprised how accommodating they can be

Originally Posted by LittleMonkey
Really, is that in any shop or when you purchasing services only?
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

I have always bartered in places that sell things like computer equipment, phones, furniture. kitchen ware, flooring etc. Make it a fun experience for yourself and the sales person and you will be surprised how accommodating they can be
Sounds fun!

Last edited by LittleMonkey; Sep 30th 2012 at 9:17 pm. Reason: Typo!
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Yip. I got discount when I bought a freeview pvr box and HDMI cable from Harvey Norman not long ago. Cable was about $10 instead of $30 odd and got quite a discount off the box too.

Last year when I bought a heater (near the end of the winter season) they only had the one of the shop floor left in stock and managed to get a good whack discounted off that too.

Bought my iphone and the discounted it a little but through in the cover, and screen protector for free.

ALWAYS barter here!

Originally Posted by LittleMonkey
Yes good point about whether they accept the sim. We were planning on getting one unlocked if bought in uk...just been looking at 2 degrees and they seem reasonable pay monthly plans ESP if you do a 12 or 24 month contract with the discount you get...?
Yes - buy before you get to NZ - it will definitely be cheaper. If you can't go outside HK airport, buy in the UK - will still be cheaper.

The thing about telecom is they seem to be a bit special. I'm not a technical person in the least but they seem to use some other weird network thingy. It means that sometimes I think phones will work on all networks apart from telecom and vice versa.

As far as i know, telecom are the most expensive operator, but have the best signals if you are in more rural areas.

2 degrees are the cheapest - some people have good and bad things to say about them. Personally I think they are great.

I pay $40 a month on a month by month contract (no min term). I get

120 mins to anyone (plus 100 bonus mins) so thats 220 minutes really
2500 texts - more than i could ever use
and the plan only comes with 100mb of data a month but when i joined they give you a bonus 1gb a month for 2 years.

Not as great deals as the UK but its generally ok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.